View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 308 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 2082582983063073083093103183584088081308 ... LastLast
Results 4,606 to 4,620 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    Oh, and nobody's ever convinced me that anyone has better credentials than any SD'er. Fact or fiction...who cares? It works. That makes it relevant to me. A real lineage with fake results--like some of the other schools I visited before Shaolin-Tao CSC Atlanta--that's what''s fake.

Peace.

Good luck to TTM, BQLin, KC (I've seen the light, too, brother), JP, and you other loyal SD'ers. The Xia, MK, TWS....good luck to you, too.

To all the trolls: .................................................. ................................
    The pleasure has been ours & we'll miss your post. I hope the day comes when the inner politics of SD & CSC can be put aside for the students sake (it's unfair to us!!) & we are One again. WE ALL have alot to learn from each other.

Merry Christmas to You
    BQ

Soon My Friends

I know for a fact that we will all be one soon I look forward to that time. I enjoy learning from all. But my dedication is always to GMT. I just Love Shaolin Do.
    KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !

Hey Baqualin should be in town on the 30th of Dec. How bout a meal ??? KC

Quote Originally Posted by kwaichang View Post
    Hey Baqualin should be in town on the 30th of Dec. How bout a meal ??? KC
    Call me....not exactly sure what my schedule will be that weekend, my son will be in from Iraq...first time in 3 yrs. for Xmas......but please call me that week & I'll know more then. Hopefully we can do lunch or dinner I finished up Pakua spear finally....man you talk about a fun form....it will make you dizzy when you really get flowing.......trying to hit it twice a day right now..........hopefully I'll have it good enough to demo it this fall BQ

Quote Originally Posted by kwaichang View Post
    I know for a fact that we will all be one soon I look forward to that time.
    Woo hoo!!!!

Just a question or two for the hard core Shaolin-Do guys out there:

To start with I have no problem with the art itself and could really care less about the lineage. That said I draw the line at what I saw in a recent brown belt test.

There were two guys who were going from 3rd brown to 2nd brown. When they were taking the test it became obvious that they simply did not know the material. They could not get through any form they had to preform and during the preformance the Master had to coach them through the various moves to just get them to the end.

These two guys passed the test and were promoted to 2nd degree Brown Belt. I could not believe it. I'm wondering what value any belt has if you cannot fail a test for it.

I guess my questions for long timers out there are "Do you think this is right?" and "Do all Shaolin-Do schools do this?"

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderDawg View Post

To start with I have no problem with the art itself and could really care less about the lineage. That said I draw the line at what I saw in a recent brown belt test.

There were two guys who were going from 3rd brown to 2nd brown. When they were taking the test it became obvious that they simply did not know the material. They could not get through any form they had to preform and during the preformance the Master had to coach them through the various moves to just get them to the end.

These two guys passed the test and were promoted to 2nd degree Brown Belt. I could not believe it. I'm wondering what value any belt has if you cannot fail a test for it.

I guess my questions for long timers out there are "Do you think this is right?" and "Do all Shaolin-Do schools do this?"
    Aww sh!t. I have seen this too many times I saw it on a black belt test twice. I have failed people when I was on the panel and they threw out my score sheet. This SU-C-K-S. no it is not right. but it is a business now more than anything else which makes it suck even more.

I think this is a problem now. When I first started, they would have had the opportunity to stop, collect themselves, and re-start the test in a few moments to see if it was just nerves etc. Then if they still had the problem, they would have failed and tested the next time GMT was in (back then GMT came to our little school every three months). I think this problem is because of $$ and the fear of alienating a student. The by-product is that now there's so many lackluster students out there that its hard to find any good examples of SD anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Test

This doesn't happen with us. We have a pre-test. If you can't pass your pre-test with flying colors, you save your $$ until you're ready, and go practice.
    "Repugnant is a creature that would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of it's fleeting time here." - Tool

www.bentmonk.com

No and NO.
    A test is just that , but should not be the deciding factor. The person should not be allowed to test unless pre tested by the teacher first. I personally do not believe in testing formally as there are those that can Kick A// every class then screw up royal at the time of test. If you do X number of hours in the class and make a good showing on those days then I feel the test should be opted out. KC

Quote Originally Posted by BentMonk View Post
    This doesn't happen with us. We have a pre-test. If you can't pass your pre-test with flying colors, you save your $$ until you're ready, and go practice.
    this is how it is done in atl also ... the pre test/evaluation is the real test ...

not to say that we dont have a bit of this problem also though
    best,

bruce

Happy indeed we live,
    friendly amidst the hostile.
    Amidst hostile men
    we dwell free from hatred.

http://youtube.com/profile?user=brucereiter

Did Sin The' promote these guys or their instructor?

Quote Originally Posted by BentMonk
    Quote Originally Posted by shaolindoiscool View Post
    this is how it is done in atl also ... the pre test/evaluation is the real test ...

not to say that we dont have a bit of this problem also though
    There are those who pre-test well, which is required at my school prior to testing for GMT, but who then 'freeze' in front of GMT. I've seen folks fail the pre-test, and rightly so. The pre-test is far more rigorous than the actual test. We're required to test on all our material up to level on the pre-test, which is gruelling. GMT only tests on the current material, plus a possible kata or 2 of his choice.

I'm approaching my 2nd BB test, and my current material alone takes 30 minutes to go through. For the pre-test, it'll take maybe 45 minutes on top of that to do the up-to-black material.

NO THEY DON'T & NO IT'S NOT RIGHT It's things like this that caused the split between east & west. We like most, pretest......if you don't pass it then you wait till next time....period. The're Masters & students in our system who don't deserve the ranking & I don't care if they get mad for me saying this....it's the truth!!! It doesn't take a brain surgeon to see if someone $UCK$

Also FYI the head instructor at our school could care less about the money...only the art!!!
    Last edited by Baqualin; 12-19-2006 at 09:49 AM.

15. i know and have trained with both guys you are attacking publicly boulder dawg.

they both passed their pretests but nerves do funny things to people

the pretest is the main test. if they do not pass that they dont test. the masters account for nerves. they have been around more tests than any of us in csc.

i think you are being a little harsh on this personally. those guys work every day at their material. its just hard for them. they get nervous.

not one person on that test did an even passing job if you grade to the extreme.

everyone had baubles and mess ups.

in my opinion unless you know the people and have trained with them then keep your judgements to yourself. because you dont know what they can do when they are in their comfort zone.