View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 309 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 2092592993073083093103113193594098091309 ... LastLast
Results 4,621 to 4,635 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

1. Quote Originally Posted by Baqualin View Post
    NO THEY DON'T & NO IT'S NOT RIGHT It's things like this that caused the split between east & west. We like most, pretest......if you don't pass it then you wait till next time....period. The're Masters & students in our system who don't deserve the ranking & I don't care if they get mad for me saying this....it's the truth!!! It doesn't take a brain surgeon to see if someone $UCK$

Also FYI the head instructor at our school could care less about the money...only the art!!!

ah bq i think that is an unfair statement my friend.

i know gmt and have sat on his panels. i have seen him pass people that have had bad tests.

but when you start to get up in ranks in black belt he will fail you. as will the masters. ive seen a pretest for upper blacks that master david told one person he needed to wait until next year and work on his material more.

so dont take just one account of a test without knowing a bit more about the facts. yes they did poorly on the birds....but they both got through lien wu chang on their own and that is a much longer and technical form.

honestly this sort of thing should not be on a public forum.

if you had issue with it boulderdawg both the masters were there for your benefit. why didnt you ask them?

Quote Originally Posted by kungfujunky View Post
    i know and have trained with both guys you are attacking publicly boulder dawg.

they both passed their pretests but nerves do funny things to people

the pretest is the main test. if they do not pass that they dont test. the masters account for nerves. they have been around more tests than any of us in csc.

i think you are being a little harsh on this personally. those guys work every day at their material. its just hard for them. they get nervous.

not one person on that test did an even passing job if you grade to the extreme.

everyone had baubles and mess ups.

in my opinion unless you know the people and have trained with them then keep your judgements to yourself. because you dont know what they can do when they are in their comfort zone.
    i would also add that the test are about your own personal improvement. the way i look at it is i try to remember how the person was when they walked into the school the first time even if the "suck" there should be some improvement each time they test. it is not about how someone looks next to the other people testing but about how they are compaired to how they used to be ...
    best,

bruce

Happy indeed we live,
    friendly amidst the hostile.
    Amidst hostile men
    we dwell free from hatred.

http://youtube.com/profile?user=brucereiter

in my opinion unless you know the people and have trained with them then keep your judgements to yourself. because you dont know what they can do when they are in their comfort zone.
    Isn't that part of the test? Who gets into fights when they're in their 'comfort zone'?

A big part of testing should be how you function under pressure.
    When seconds count the cops are only minutes away!

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    Sorry, sometimes I forget you guys have that special secret internal sauce where people throw themselves and you don't have to do anything except collect tuition.

Talking BullShido!!!!

nerves?????? if you can not do it when the pressure is on for a test then how are you going to use it as a form of self defense???

you will get your A$$ handed to you if you do not know the material on all levels..

it needs to be hard wired into your body, spirit, and mind even at the white to yellow belt level.

yes it is about the money and yes it is about not alienating anyone but at what point do you say I am not going to compromise the integrity of the art just for these reasons??

if you do not do well on your test you do not pass ...period!!!

And I do not care how well a person does in class. it is not a reflection of how they will handle and/ or conduct themselves on the street.

you should not have to think about it .

if you do then you do not know it ........you only remember it. and remembering it does not get it done.

I know a lot of you guys are politically correct and all but give me a break.

I believe that there are too many compromises in certain areas that should not be. it devalues the integrity of the art, it's masters, and students.

I know that some of you might not like it but the truth is the truth and that is all that matters to me.

is it a martial arts program or a knitting class???:

Martial arts....... what is your definition of martial arts???

would you send and untrained or inadequate soldier out into the battlefield just because you did not want to hurt his/ her feelings??

come on now...

I believe many of you need to reevaluate as to what it is and why it is you are
    in the martial arts if it is not for the desired effect, to be able to defend yourself in mind ( psychologically), spirit ( philosophically) , and body ( physically).

It is not martial arts unless you can use it in self defense or in a fight.

....otherwise it is just exercise/ performance art.

5. a fight and performing forms are 2 way different things my friend

in their sparring both individuals did just fine

Talking Ok

a fight and performing forms are 2 way different things my friend

in their sparring both individuals did just fine
    SO??? by that time they had a chance to loosen up and prepare. why should it be different???

Quote Originally Posted by tattooedmonk View Post
    nerves?????? if you can not do it when the pressure is on for a test then how are you going to use it as a form of self defense???

And I do not care how well a person does in class. it is not a reflection of how they will handle and/ or conduct themselves on the street.

It is not martial arts unless you can use it in self defense or in a fight.

....otherwise it is just exercise/ performance art.
    The same could be said for testing. Testing nerves are completely different from fighting intensity. Have you ever stuttered, been at a loss for words? That's comparable to testing nerves. That doesn't mean you wouldn't be able to defend yourself. It's unrelated to political correctness or girly arts.

One of the best martial artists I know got stuck twice on Hua fist in a tournament. It could have happened in a test. Does this make him less of a martial artist? No. Does this make him a wuss in a fight? He!! No. He's downright scary.

Sounds like you're someone who doesn't get severe nerve attacks and can safely put down anyone who does.
    Last edited by Flaca; 12-19-2006 at 11:20 AM.

Bingo

Quote Originally Posted by Yao Sing View Post
    Isn't that part of the test? Who gets into fights when they're in their 'comfort zone'?

I agree!!!!!

Talking BY the way.....

Happy Holidays everyone! From the Sagascious Lu Da

Few have fight anxiety but many have test anxiety it has nothing to do with ability or knowledge level KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !

Quote Originally Posted by Flaca View Post
    The same could be said for testing. Testing nerves are completely different from fighting intensity. Have you ever stuttered, been at a loss for words? That's comparable to testing nerves. That doesn't mean you wouldn't be able to defend yourself. It's unrelated to political correctness or girly arts.

One of the best martial artists I know, 4th BB, got stuck twice on Hua fist in a tournament. It could have happened in a test. Does this make him less of a martial artist? No. Does this make him a wuss in a fight? He!! No. He's downright scary.

Sounds like you're someone who doesn't get severe nerve attacks and can safely put down anyone who does.
    this is my point ...if it happens in a test or in a performance it is because you are thinking about it.you should not have to think about it, if you do on the streets, you could be dead.

and yes this does mean that you might not be able to defend yourself in a fight.

this momentary freeze can cost you your life.

you ever heard of fight or flight response??

this is an area of training that I believe is lacking in many so called traditional schools

testing your nerves( this is part of the over all test) at such a low level intensity should not cause you to freeze up .

imagine if the intensity was higher and this happened. it can happen to everyone and probably has but this is why we train .......so this does not happen .
    Last edited by tattooedmonk; 12-19-2006 at 11:15 AM.

Talking Bs

Quote Originally Posted by kwaichang View Post
    Few have fight anxiety but many have test anxiety it has nothing to do with ability or knowledge level KC
    most have fight anxiety . sparring is not the same .especially the way it is mostly done below BB ( tag). this should be part of test and in my opinion is. remembering something and knowing it are 2 different things.

13. in a real fight people are not going to be using the new application from hua fist they just learned. they will be using there basics to survive. which in 99% of the fights will more than adequately suffice.

monk you have a very inflated idea of martial arts of today. we all train to learn and to be able to defend ourselves. (most anyways)

but you condemn us for not training to be able to pick up our dao and cut off an intruders head when he breaks into our home....

dude relax.

not everyone thinks the way you do and your philosophy towards training is extreme to say the least (at least your online philosophy...not sure how you train in real life)

if any martial artist were to get in a fight and happened to hurt the opponent bad guess what...we the martial artists go to jail.

there are a few instances where this wouldnt happen but for the most part thats how it is.

we train so we dont have to fight

a palm strike to the chest with power says just as much to an attacker as kicking them in the head.

we are not supposed to use our training to fight. we are supposed to use it to not fight.

OK
    KFJ...your right about this, it should be discussed in private instead of on a public forum. But it wasn't, so I expressed my opinion and stick with it. I wasn't saying someone has to perform their material like a world champion....making a few mistakes is one thing, but someone at the Brown belt level should at the least know the material their testing on...nervous or not. Nobody needs to rush their rank....Shaolin-Do is not about rank, it's a lifestyle...testing is a gauge to where your at...if your to nervous to pass your test, then you are not comfortable enough with your material to overcome that. You need to step back and work on your material till it becomes 2nd nature or just be a form hog. This should have been noticed in the preTest.

Quote Originally Posted by Yao Sing View Post

I agree
    The later especially.....functioning under pressure...not just about fighting,
    life in general....is this not part of GMS training.

KFJ by the way I'm not upset with you, I've just seen alot of this down thru the years, not just one incident and I get frustrated sometimes. The problem here is none of us were there to see the pretest or the regular test. I have to agree with JP this is why it's hard to find true SD performances anymore.