View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 310 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 2102603003083093103113123203604108101310 ... LastLast
Results 4,636 to 4,650 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Pen View Post
    I think this is a problem now. When I first started, they would have had the opportunity to stop, collect themselves, and re-start the test in a few moments to see if it was just nerves etc. Then if they still had the problem, they would have failed and tested the next time GMT was in (back then GMT came to our little school every three months). I think this problem is because of $$ and the fear of alienating a student. The by-product is that now there's so many lackluster students out there that its hard to find any good examples of SD anymore.
    I agree again This is why when Flying Monkey see's what's available he says it's not kungfu & he's right. He's not talking about our forms in general but how it's performed.

a palm strike to the chest with power says just as much to an attacker as kicking them in the head.

As an internal practictioner I had rather be kicked in the head

Quote Originally Posted by tattooedmonk View Post
    Happy Holidays everyone! From the Sagascious Lu Da
    THANKS
    And the same to you!!!

Ok

Many of you guage a martial artists ability by how well they fight, that is why I said that about "fight anxiety". However test anxiety is very real , I have known those who can perform their "stuff" forward and backward but still have difficulty with testing. Should they fail ?? and should those with ego judge them and say they arent any good. Many can fight but lose in tournaments so I guess they cant fight. If I use your views then , they cant fight or shouldnt pass because they cant do Hua well or test poorly. I feel testing is a poor method to "test" the level of a martial artist. To some it is a way to make money to others it is a way of tearing down the ego. Both reasons are flawed.

Do not judge the level of a person by how poorly they test. KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !

Ttm

Hey TTM when I was in another system my test for 2 BB was to do my Katas and "spar" 2 people at the same time . One thing though they were told to try and break my nose now that was "tag" your it anxiety. Was a good test. KC

This is how I think my Master looks at testing, I could be wrong, but it is how it seems to me, and I think it works. For adults, white through green, if you can get through the material without major mistakes, then that indicates to him that you are able to continue to work on the material you have on your own, and can move on to learn something new. He does not coach anyone during the test, and if you screw up really badly, he tells you what you need to work on and gives you a week before he allows you to test again. Third through first brown he holds to a somewhat higher standard, allows fewer mistakes but it is similiar to what happens with the lower belts. Now with black belts, he does not cut them any slack. They must pre-test first, and if they don't have it, then they have to keep working at it.
    I realize that everyone has a different level of compentence with MA, and some are better at it then others, I do not believe that a person that is conducting a test should have to coach the students through it. If they don't know the material, then it is too soon for them to move on. If they know it, even if they have to struggle, or make minor mistakes, then I have no problem with them advancing, knowing that they will still be going over previous material at some point during subsequent classes.

Quote Originally Posted by kwaichang View Post
    Many of you guage a martial artists ability by how well they fight, that is why I said that about "fight anxiety". However test anxiety is very real , I have known those who can perform their "stuff" forward and backward but still have difficulty with testing. Should they fail ?? and should those with ego judge them and say they arent any good. Many can fight but lose in tournaments so I guess they cant fight. If I use your views then , they cant fight or shouldnt pass because they cant do Hua well or test poorly. I feel testing is a poor method to "test" the level of a martial artist. To some it is a way to make money to others it is a way of tearing down the ego. Both reasons are flawed.

Do not judge the level of a person by how poorly they test. KC
    It's not about level...it's about where you are in your studies, just like in any education...if someone cannot multiply very well they will have a hard time moving on to division. If they cannot carry one basket wouldn't it be unfair to try and make them carry two. The problem here is none of us were there....did they perform poorly or leave out a major portion of the form....there's a difference.
    AS was stated by SDS the FIRST time you test on a particular form they just want to see if you can do the moves.....as you test later they want to see an improvement in how you do the form....to make sure your on the road to understanding applications, power generation and biomechanics.

I personally have not seen ego problems at the testing I've participated in and regarding the money thing it would make sense to pass everyone regardless.....more weapons to sell and higher test fees with higher rank.

Knowing you I'd say no one could be as hard on you as you are on yourself and when you test for 5th you will be very nervous and pass with flying colors.

Sometimes your just to nice....please don't change
    BQ

8. Quote Originally Posted by Baqualin View Post
    a palm strike to the chest with power says just as much to an attacker as kicking them in the head.

As an internal practictioner I had rather be kicked in the head

lol i knew youd like that one

and no worries my man. i didnt take it persoanl at all

The ego is not those who are testing the students but on those observing the testing. That is the gauge by which many judge. Like driving down the road and seeing a runner struggling. Some might think: that poor guy cant run very well I think man he must have run a long way. KC

Quote Originally Posted by kwaichang View Post
    The ego is not those who are testing the students but on those observing the testing. That is the gauge by which many judge. Like driving down the road and seeing a runner struggling. Some might think: that poor guy cant run very well I think man he must have run a long way. KC
    Now that, I've seen alot of!
    But I've also seen those same guys get their $h!t handed to them down the road...we have a few ego beaters hanging around

I guess I really I'm a moderate....if I saw the same dude running I'd probally think, either that guy is bad out of shape or he's been running for 5 days

Quote Originally Posted by kungfujunky View Post
    i know and have trained with both guys you are attacking publicly boulder dawg.

they both passed their pretests but nerves do funny things to people

the pretest is the main test. if they do not pass that they dont test. the masters account for nerves. they have been around more tests than any of us in csc.

i think you are being a little harsh on this personally. those guys work every day at their material. its just hard for them. they get nervous.

not one person on that test did an even passing job if you grade to the extreme.

everyone had baubles and mess ups.

in my opinion unless you know the people and have trained with them then keep your judgements to yourself. because you dont know what they can do when they are in their comfort zone.
    I'm not attacking anyone. I'm just stating what I saw. Had I of sat on that panel I could not have passed these guys....and maybe because of what I saw I will be rather leary of sitting on any in the future.

I just don't think it's fair for people who work their butts off for these belts....and, in reality, is it fair to the people who did poorly on the test to just be passed through the system?

Maybe I am being too harsh but I want to be proud of the art.

Judge BD

BD Isnt it enough to know you did the best YOU could. Why do you worry about others.

Lets assume that you have to do a form with the side splits in it and lets assume you need that form for that rank should you be held back because you cant do them ? Or how about doing an arial ?? There are those in 3rd to 4th BB in SD if you cant do one should you not pass ??
    I feel those that do test should be graded on where they were when they last tested and if they have improved. There are those that "aint pretty" but try very very hard, I would rather pass them than those that can do the forms perfect but have no heart or love for Shaolin Do . Let those without sin cast the first stone. KC

It's not so much that someone "can't" do the form. I believe maximum effort should be rewarded. What I saw spoke more to a lack of preparation than an inability to do some aspect of the form.

Isn't Kung Fu mastery through time and effort? I guess this was my major sticking point here.

Anyway it's my understand that some schools do not charge for testing. Now the money is not really going to break many people however I think less pressure would be there for all parties involved if you did not pay for your test.

I agree BD but who are we to judge if someone has prepared or not ? I think that testing is a bit archaeic but that is my opinion only I think. Well maybe the talk of these people will get back to them and they will try harder next time .
    Have you ever heard of Wolfs law as it pertains to Contractile tissues. In a nut shell " tissues will respond to the level of stress placed upon them" thus Muscle growth from weight training. Maybe the pressure from peers is like wolfs law and they will come around. KC

15. Quote Originally Posted by BoulderDawg View Post
    It's not so much that someone "can't" do the form. I believe maximum effort should be rewarded. What I saw spoke more to a lack of preparation than an inability to do some aspect of the form.

Isn't Kung Fu mastery through time and effort? I guess this was my major sticking point here.

Anyway it's my understand that some schools do not charge for testing. Now the money is not really going to break many people however I think less pressure would be there for all parties involved if you did not pay for your test.

i agree.

and i know for a fact those guys had spent every waking moment in the school trying their best to get it down.

they really did apply maximum effort for what they could do.

not everyone, like kc said, can do forms to wow and awe.

what about the girl who nailed the kwan dao only to blank at the very last move? should she have failed? even though 98% of the form was done with spirit and focus and intensity?