View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 32 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442821325321032 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Anybody want to take up a cololection to buy Omar a video camera?

I'd take odds on the BaJi vs. SD match, but i'm not sure how to time tenths of a second...
    "Never interrupt your enemy when they are making a mistake."
    --- Napoleon

"MonkeySlap is a brutal b@stard." -- SevenStar
    "Forgive them Lord, they know not what MS2 can do." -- MasterKiller
    "You're not gonna win a debate (or a fight) with MST. Resistance is futile." - Seven Star

Nice post Omar. Let me know what you think when you watch them. And try to get names of the performers that you watch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Originally posted by omarthefish
    Their story has more holes than a screen door. The monkey man is wearing a western suit in a pre-industrial China for gods sake.
    I would like to point ou that the famous revolutionary Sun Yat-Sen, a contemporary of Su Kong Tai Djin, is pictured here
    wearing a western suit.

I would like to point ou that the famous revolutionary Sun Yat-Sen, a contemporary of Su Kong Tai Djin, is pictured here
    wearing a western suit.
    Sun Yat Sen was the founder and first president of the Chinese Republic. He was born in 1867 and died in 1925. Whilst studying medicine in Hong Kong he took part in a revolutionary plot in 1895 and upon its discovery fled to England. He was captured in 1896 by the Chinese Legation in London and held prisoner until his release was demanded by the Prime Minister. In 1905 he founded the China Revolutionary League in Europe and Japan and played a large part in the revolution of 1911.

Did Su Kong ever visit England, per chance?
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Originally posted by MasterKiller
    Sun Yat Sen was the founder and first president of the Chinese Republic. He was born in 1867 and died in 1925. Whilst studying medicine in Hong Kong he took part in a revolutionary plot in 1895 and upon its discovery fled to England. He was captured in 1896 by the Chinese Legation in London and held prisoner until his release was demanded by the Prime Minister. In 1905 he founded the China Revolutionary League in Europe and Japan and played a large part in the revolution of 1911.

Did Su Kong ever visit England, per chance?
    Well, according to this
    " A shred of new life emerged between the 1920s and 1930s. Exhibits of that period are dominated by suits and hats of western styles, one-piece dresses stitched with flat beads, and wool-velvet overcoats. Palm-sized lotus shoes for women gave way to high-heeled leather shoes. "

So who knows? I certainly wasn't there.

Re: omars signature

Originally posted by mr.marshal art
    i like your sig. reminds me of the ancient riff:
    those that know seem not to know,
    those that don't pretend they do...

-marshal
    I'm not sure where you got that one but it sounds like maybee a loose translation of the Tao De Jing passage that says:

Those who know do not speak. Those who speak do not know.

But mine is from the Analects, except I think I slightly modified the last line because I couldn't think how to translate it more accurately without making it really long and unwieldy.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back on the topic though....since it's so much fun!

Aside from what has just been mentioned about Sun Yat Sen's time in England, yes, it's true they were starting to adopt western clothing in that time. But Plaid sportcoats (as The "Monkey King" is pictured wearing" were still a long ways off.

"Western Clothing" of the era included things like....hats.

Or sunglasses.

And western clothing was still basically only worn by the aristocracy or anyone else with the cash to go and study abroad.

But mainly....ponder these 2 words: Plaid Sportcoat.

translation

Originally posted by omarthefish
    I'm not sure where you got that one but it sounds like maybee a loose translation of the Tao De Jing passage that says:
    Those who know do not speak. Those who speak do not know.
    i found the quote in a copy of the tao te ching. i don't remember who translated it.
    your translation is more interesting.
    -marshal
    i protect that which matters most
    ~seraph

Originally posted by lxtruong
    Well, according to this
    " A shred of new life emerged between the 1920s and 1930s. Exhibits of that period are dominated by suits and hats of western styles, one-piece dresses stitched with flat beads, and wool-velvet overcoats. Palm-sized lotus shoes for women gave way to high-heeled leather shoes. "
    Yeah, and Su Kong supposedly died in 1928, at the age of 79. You saying he's between 71 and 79 in that picture? Besides...he was in Indonesia by that time, not China, remember?
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

How could you possibly tell what age he is, with hair covering his face? He could be 79 or 179.

Also, from what I know, Su Kong was not the one that fled to Indonesia, it was Ie Chang Ming that fled.

Originally posted by lxtruong
    How could you possibly tell what age he is, with hair covering his face? He could be 79 or 179.
    You ever see a 79-year-old that had naturally dark hair?
    Also, from what I know, Su Kong was not the one that fled to Indonesia, it was Ie Chang Ming that fled.
    My bad. Between SD, Temple Kung Fu and Shaolin Kempo, sometimes I get my fake Southern Temple systems confused.

I've never seen a 79 year old with that dark hair, but I've also never seen another 79 year old with that genetic condition either. I thought his coat was pinstripe not plaid...
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

You ever see a 79-year-old that had naturally dark hair?
    I don't hang around 80 year old men. Do thier eyebrows and armhairs change color? No idea.

My bad. Between SD, Temple Kung Fu and Shaolin Kempo, sometimes I get my fake Southern Temple systems confused.
    Wow! What a zinger!

There was a coach/Sifu that demonstrated at NACMAF in 92 or 93. His name excapes me (I think surname was Xia) but I think if anyone else was there they would also remember him, and maybe his name. He was in his seventies then and had jet black hair. He performed a tai ji form, a baat gua form, and a hsing yi form back to back to back. He was also famous for having defeated a russian in a public lei tai match after the russian had beat up a few locals and was publicly slandering Chinese people.

Originally posted by Judge Pen
    I've never seen a 79 year old with that dark hair, but I've also never seen another 79 year old with that genetic condition either. I thought his coat was pinstripe not plaid...
    Pinstripes are just as out of place.

And on the hair issue....Brotha9......

People die their hair.

My Shifu is in his mid 60's and has a full head of black hair but you can tell it's not died because IF you are close enough, you can see it's not completely black. There are white hairs here and there just like I have if you look for them.

I've not seen anyone in their 70's YET with dark hair. In another 5 years or so I may see....but so far I think my current Shifu holds the record at about 63.

Shao-Lin Do is so real it's unreal. It's all in your mind, not the airwaves or electrons. Free your minds of this unsanity and the fist will follow. Put away your doubts of my ancestors along with your SUVs and Luke Skywalkers for Sin The' will illumine the true way.
    Last edited by Sin The'; 11-01-2004 at 10:33 PM.
    REMEMBER: I Am Sin The' and you are not.