View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 332 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 2322823223303313323333343423824328321332 ... LastLast
Results 4,966 to 4,980 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

The bjj school that I roll with is taught by a former #2 in the state H.S. wrestler. Also teaching is a former Div I NCAA wrestler and Brown belt in Judo who also has had 10 fights in the cage\ring. The take downs used are wrestling and judo. Also there are about 10 guys who fight in the cage/ring. They practice take downs from strikes/kicks as well.
    So what you will about them, ego is not there. I thought it was from all the belts having to roll with each other e.g. purple,blue,green and white belts. No one sits on their rank wanting to be treated as a Prima Donna . They are trying to get each other better. I think it is most likely the best school in the state.
    I like SD too. I like it better. With everything, it is the person in it that is teaching which makes the difference.
    VOTE FOR PEDRO '08

Ever notice how virtually everyone agrees that 95% of all traditional schools are crap, but NOBODY ever admits to being in that 5%? Don't judge... your skill may suck also...
    Quote from SevenStar

Just call me the Shaolin Do Wet Blanket. Gene Ching

Hey CF who was your Yoshukai Teacher ? KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    Neither do I. I've yet to get the fullbody mechanics into any application. But as for the fold up and unwinding of the hands.....it's an excellent way to clear the line. But it's in plenty of our forms....tiger comes to mind....china hands...
    I use similar applications for that move in all its incarnations. The bird version is my favorite of them because of the body mechanics involved in it. In general I like the tendency of the Bird's use of gravity and/or momentum as a force multiplier, it's just so... well... birdlike.

If you're going to be in Marietta for the leopard....maybe you could show me then. Don't know if I'll be in Norcross before the 9th. Then again, who knows? Might just up and come out (I'm trying to get some new perspectives anyways, and I love those 3 birds) But the SPM school I'm checking into will have me booked on Wednesdays.
    I should be there. I also predict quite a crowd.

Wednesdays in Norcross I try to make as much focused on applications for the moves as time permits. You're welcome there anytime.

No spinning kicks, outside inside smashes, or anything like that. They even appear harder than most karate. But their understanding of economical fighting---that's the part where the beauty is...kind of like Wing Chun. Not a lot of wasted action. Simple footwork, small motions, quick results........ Centerline theory....I've always found it intriguing.
    If you like those type of things, then I think you may enjoy Hsing I.

KC:

My Sensei was Jim Reneau.
    Words!

Just words!

Quote Originally Posted by Crushing Fist View Post
    In regards to the Bird "retreat to broken leg"

Drop by Norcross on a Wednesday (8pm Brown Belt) and I'll show you my take on an application for that move. It's one of my favorites.

HINT: I don't do it as a retreat
    I do that move as a throw, FWIW.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    I do that move as a throw, FWIW.
    Bingo, we have a winner

We probably do the throw in a very similar way, but I suppose there could be more than one type of throw from that motion.

For me it's an arm/shoulder control leading into a spiffy spinning throw. Works like a charm once you get it set up and moves exactly like the form.

I tend to look more for controls and throws than anything else, it's just my preference.
    Words!

Just words!

Sounds like it's worth a trip to Norcross very soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    BJJ is a formidable fighting art. I've witnessed this firsthand this past month. The only thing is....tackling someone is not 100%....and it's where all the risk is involved.

I learned a lot about takedowns. Enough to know the art wasnt' for me.

But on a curious sidenote, just last Thursday my brother, who is out of shape and has no training whatsoever, and has an enormous flinch complex, was training takedowns with one of the purple belts at the school (which, from what I heard there, was pretty high rank). He was scary, mean, looking. Had all kinds of tats, and a bulldog on the back of the neck. He was ripped, had some scars, and the beginnings of cauliflower ears. I think he was a wrestler, or something.

This dude (who I won't name) was talking about the value of surprise in a takedown. He didn't announce what he was doing, and shot in for a takedown on my bro, I guess to prove his point. My brother flinched and threw a knee without thinking. It caught the guy square in the forehead....just crack! The guy curled up on the ground, and my brother was like: "Oh my god!! Are you okay!" The guy was swearing, red in th eface, and he got up about 5 minutes later, threatening my brother with basically bodily mutilation before he calmed down. (We haven't been back since..... ........)

So....groundwork, as we learned, is complex, technical, and takes a lot of skill. But like anything, it has its flaws and its weaknesses, and even a lucky shot can take the best of th ebest down like little *****es every once and a while.

(My brother's been bragging about it ever since...... .....)

It's interesting, but definately not Invincible. But I know it's not particularly catching to some people. Plus, I didn't like the people we trained with. Some of 'em were,......I don't know.....a little....what's the word?

Assholish?
    Really, I don't know how to respond to this post Here is a link to a guy in the bjj club in his first fight. He is also a white belt. The others are one white belt, one green and a blue belt. They are all fighting for the 1st time.
    A must see vid is the Trell Parker vs John Steele. Trell was a H.S. wrestler and had about 4 months of bjj before this fight. Steele was 4-1 and a MT fighter.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnW8myRCMew
    Last edited by BM2; 02-18-2007 at 08:07 PM.
    VOTE FOR PEDRO '08

Ever notice how virtually everyone agrees that 95% of all traditional schools are crap, but NOBODY ever admits to being in that 5%? Don't judge... your skill may suck also...
    Quote from SevenStar

www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJKwJpFUENI

I tried to add this to my last post. Chewy is a really good guy and an excellent martial artist. Never talks trash about anyone or their style. In other words, he wouldn't be posting on here
    VOTE FOR PEDRO '08

Quote from SevenStar

When you mentioned the name Chewy, I thought you were referring to Shaolin Wookie. heh, heh

Quote Originally Posted by BM2 View Post
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJKwJpFUENI

I tried to add this to my last post. Chewy is a really good guy and an excellent martial artist. Never talks trash about anyone or their style. In other words, he wouldn't be posting on here
    Thanks for the ring girl shot..she's hot.
    BQ

Just wanted to get the thoughts of others from the Chinese Shao-lin Centers:

We just recently got through the holidays and this makes the second december I've been in the program. Although I've never said anything about it I've always wondered if anyone else thought it was just a little strange that the school closes for the last half of the month. A lot of us have time off then and are not traveling and would welcome the extra time to work out. Also even though they close for a half month they still charge you for the full month.

Anyway, just in general, I would be willing to pay more to have more of a selection of days and times for classes and just more time to practice.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderDawg View Post
    Just wanted to get the thoughts of others from the Chinese Shao-lin Centers:

We just recently got through the holidays and this makes the second december I've been in the program. Although I've never said anything about it I've always wondered if anyone else thought it was just a little strange that the school closes for the last half of the month. A lot of us have time off then and are not traveling and would welcome the extra time to work out. Also even though they close for a half month they still charge you for the full month.

Anyway, just in general, I would be willing to pay more to have more of a selection of days and times for classes and just more time to practice.
    in the atlanta csc's we have maybe the 2 days before and after xmas off and new years day off, other than that students can train 5-7 days per week year round ... maybe one day off at thanksgiving and july 4th off ...

http://www.shaolincenter.com/schedule_norcross.html
    best,

bruce

Happy indeed we live,
    friendly amidst the hostile.
    Amidst hostile men
    we dwell free from hatred.

http://youtube.com/profile?user=brucereiter

You guys are really lucky.

Here's our schedule:

http://www.shao-lin.com/Category.cfm?CategoryID=11

Quote Originally Posted by Baqualin View Post
    Thanks for the ring girl shot..she's hot.
    BQ
    Oh man! They BOTH were
    Anyway, I bet both you and GT would sign up for classes here
    http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...ndID=131046472
    VOTE FOR PEDRO '08

Quote from SevenStar

Quote Originally Posted by BM2 View Post
    Oh man! They BOTH were
    Anyway, I bet both you and GT would sign up for classes here
    http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...ndID=131046472
    I'm moving to Florida