View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 341 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 241291331339340341342343351391441841 ... LastLast
Results 5,101 to 5,115 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

1. bubba why are you so irritated by sw post?

you think it impossible that he could slap around a wing chun guy?

and i think you are taking him a little to literally. i know when i spar in csc i slap faces to make my opponent aware his guard is low. but im not ***** slapping him lol

just tapping the cheek or forehead. in glove sparring ill ring your bell hehe but in normal class its just a friendly reminder to guard your face.

i have alos sparred a wing chun guy. he had 5 years in wing chun and joined csc to expand what he had. one day we were sparring and he made a comment about the superiority of his old wing chun stuff. i said go for it...just use that and feel free to ring my bell if you can.

i slapped his ass all over the school. he was very good at the center line strikes and trapping but he couldnt account for my footwork and that made the fight easy for me.

to presume someone cant whip up on a wing chun guy is silly. its also silly to think i cant have my ass summarily handed to me by someone better. thats why we train.

in my travels i have sparred a mmaist a wing chun guy a kenpo black belt and a 5th level tae kwan do master.

it was fun to see the different styles and how they were appiled in that system.

ultimately i like where i am.

sw probably did slap the guy around.....but he didnt do it with wing chun..he did it with our style.

and telling him to say some phrase without giving him the translation is just stupid man. sounds like YOUR the one with the issues and maybe YOU should cross hands with an sd or csc guy.

Quote Originally Posted by kungfujunky View Post
    its also silly to think i cant have my ass summarily handed to me by someone better. thats why we train.
    Word.....anyone from any style who says any differently is just a troll.

10 miles from nowhere right in the middle of everywhere
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    Haha....Bubba.....

When you read a post on the internet, you might think I sound proud and arrogant. I write in active voice, and rarely in the passive, so it sounds affirmative (a writing trait engendered by exhaustive studies in UGA's English Dept. getting A's from teachers loath to give them. ) I'm not an arrogant guy.
    Lovely, but it does you no service when trying to talk to a large audience who don't know you but only have your words, voicing, diction & phrasing to go on.

At the WC school, we didn't do any chi sao, thank god. Or I'm sure I would've had my ass handed to me bigtime (like push-hands, I suck at that, too). We free sparred, and I don't think I could've beaten everyone there, but I beat on the people of my skill level like nobody's business.
    See my point above.

I was a sparring monster that day, at that time, against those people. People who know me in SD can tell you I'm not a monster. Sometimes I get my ass kicked. But I'm usually pretty solid--against people my level anyways.
    Perhaps you missed the part where I said that? I didn't slap everyone around....but some people. I visited an MMA school in Norcross, and walked right back out. I would've had my ass handed to me in 5 seconds. Note: I also got tossed around like a rag doll at a BJJ school (Jacare Cavalcanti). I'm not superman, and I never pretend to be.
    Why not handle them like the Wing Chun peeps? Is it because they don't play the same game as you, just like the Wing Chun peeps don't play the same as you?

Well, that's a lie. When I used to work for food services at UGA, I'd always turn my apron around like a cape, and I stole the "Superman" sticker off of the ice cream machine and put it on my name tag..... .....funny as hell though, 'cuz 99% of the people who worked there didn't know my name. They all just called me Superman.
    Another reason to avoid public colleges...

As for the PM school........I'm not dissing them. Those dudes were good. Some of 'em were some scary dudes. But SD catches flack for wearing belts and gi's......and this school was wearing scarves, doing capoeira, and all kinds of stuff . I was looking for a more "focused" school. One that tackled "one thing." I found that in the Longfist guy. What's the difference between SD and the PM school? Besides the getup, it was the schedule and the styles, and the price. IF you're talking about the stories....well, part of the reason I was looking around was because of SD's sometimes-outrageous stories. One of the most valuable lessons I learned from looking around was----"Everyone's got their stories....some of them equally strange/outlandish"........
    Do they teach the PM, Capoeria & stuff altogether or are they separate training classes? That's the point. They may teach those things, but are they kept separate or tossed in a blender like SD? The African origin theory has been bandied back & forth for a while now. The difference is that SD says they have the original deal & a whole lotta other stuff that just is outlandish or out right false.

I did learn a lot about schools, teaching, etc. in CMA by looking around. I saw the different approaches people used to teach. I've heard SD criticized repeatedly for lack of drilling and just forms collecting. I found that a lot of the schools in my area do the exact same thing, but many of them (due to shorter schedules) don't get in half the practice we do. And many of them don't spar. Some of them do very little forms work, and almost all drilling. The big thing I learned was----hell, I'm pretty much doing the same thing everyone else is doing, but SD's schedule gives greater access to all kinds of work....because it has more open hours.
    Not really, but if it makes you feel good, more power to you.

I still love that SPM school. Funny, what they did reminded me of SD in a lot of ways. I figured, why shell out that kind of money to do something I'm already doing in a different form? Didn't make logistical sense.
    That's funny!!! That's freaking comedy at its finest. Comparing SD to SPM & it reminding you of SD in a lot of ways.

Obviously you don't know me very well. Or, do you? Me, blind? Well, I do have bad eyesight..........really bad. But I can drive alright. Several people online here extended me open hands and said: hey, come check out our ATL school. One even put on a demo for me and let me get in on some drills in a higher-level class. A CLF guy on here offered to help me in my search, but I'd made up my mind before I visited him (No offence, Sean---cool guy ). Anyways...I don't have any friggin' clue what the senior guys at my school do when we junior classmates aren't around.
    I'm sure I don't know you. Your statement above about not knowing what the seniors in your school do is what I'm talking about. How can you possibly make a decision based on an intro class with no real substance of what's being taught?? It'd be like joining the military ( No offense to our fighting men & women ) because you thought the uniforms were cool. That's the smallest margin of a thing.

I have no intention of going to see David Lin. No offense. Don't know anything 'bout Shuai Chao. Don't really care. . My whole search was to find out if SD was preparing me "maritally" in a way that was economical, efficient, etc. My find: It was. My Longfist teacher thinks my footwork is horrible, b/c I don't keep my root in my heels enough during stance transitions. He's calling me out on mechanics. I like that. So, on Saturday nights I'll go have him show me how to make stance transitions with better efficiency.
    Any MA teacher will call you on that. It's called basics. That's what the majority of CMA schools do for the first year or so... basics. You've got to have them. There's an old addage... you can't build a house without a foundation. If you've been called on your foundation by a teacher of another system, isn't there a bigger question you need to ask yourself about the time & money you've mentioned investing already?

I'm not into collecting styles, per say. I wanna be able to use the stuff I've already invested time/$$ in. I found out I can.
    Maybe.

IF that's arrogant, then I'm a friggin' arrogant son of a *****.
    You're also lacking Mo Duk as well.

Atlanta's not so big & SD has a handful of schools in the area, right? It's not going to take long to word to get around between instructors & schools about your attitude. It might not be long after that until somebody picks up the phone & has a conversation about you to your teacher. If there's nothing satisfactory resolved that way, you may be the one getting paid a visit in class so you can explain yourself & your actions to your teacher. You're a reflection of your teacher & MA'ists talk. It won't take long & many more episodes of "The Mouth Runneth Over" before SD in Atlanta has a rep equal to that of low-rent wanna be's & people who talk too much.

Think about it. Your rep means nothing, but the schools & people who run them.

10 miles from nowhere right in the middle of everywhere
    bubba why are you so irritated by sw post?
    Because he rubbed me the wrong way

you think it impossible that he could slap around a wing chun guy?
    Nah... nothing's impossible... however, a little manners goes a long way in telling the story

and i think you are taking him a little to literally. i know when i spar in csc i slap faces to make my opponent aware his guard is low. but im not ***** slapping him lol
    Well... then what's the point?

just tapping the cheek or forehead. in glove sparring ill ring your bell hehe but in normal class its just a friendly reminder to guard your face.
    What's the difference? If you're trading hands, you're trading hands. Otherwise you're playing pattycake.

i have alos sparred a wing chun guy. he had 5 years in wing chun and joined csc to expand what he had. one day we were sparring and he made a comment about the superiority of his old wing chun stuff. i said go for it...just use that and feel free to ring my bell if you can.

i slapped his ass all over the school. he was very good at the center line strikes and trapping but he couldnt account for my footwork and that made the fight easy for me.
    Here we go with the slapping again. If you don't play the game that a person is accustomed to playing, chances are you're coming out on top just by confusing them. Don't mistake that for being better, take it for being different.

BTW... in that 5 years he said he trained... how many hours was that?

to presume someone cant whip up on a wing chun guy is silly. its also silly to think i cant have my ass summarily handed to me by someone better. thats why we train.
    I never said that actually.

in my travels i have sparred a mmaist a wing chun guy a kenpo black belt and a 5th level tae kwan do master.
    That's great.

it was fun to see the different styles and how they were appiled in that system.

ultimately i like where i am.
    That's great.

sw probably did slap the guy around.....but he didnt do it with wing chun..he did it with our style.
    And exactly what "style" is it?

and telling him to say some phrase without giving him the translation is just stupid man. sounds like YOUR the one with the issues and maybe YOU should cross hands with an sd or csc guy.
    Who says I haven't? Who says I have? Who's making presumptions now?

Bubba

What does "gong sau" mean?
    We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit.
    - Aristotle

The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba O'Reilly View Post

You're also lacking Mo Duk as well. .
    I'm also lacking in Chinese comprehension as well . Care to elaborate? I speak Latin, French, Spanish, English (a little bit). I might take Chinese in grad school, if they'll let me. If you want to sound intelligent, translate it into either Latin, French, Spanish, and English, and we'll all be impressed, but maybe, just maybe, you'll make your point to me?

Atlanta's not so big & SD has a handful of schools in the area, right? It's not going to take long to word to get around between instructors & schools about your attitude. It might not be long after that until somebody picks up the phone & has a conversation about you to your teacher. If there's nothing satisfactory resolved that way, you may be the one getting paid a visit in class so you can explain yourself & your actions to your teacher. You're a reflection of your teacher & MA'ists talk. It won't take long & many more episodes of "The Mouth Runneth Over" before SD in Atlanta has a rep equal to that of low-rent wanna be's & people who talk too much..
    It did, it happened, I had that conversation. I am who I am, and sometimes I'm rude, stubborn, pig-headed and such. Ask my girlfriend, and she'd tack on a couple of more unflattering words. (He flirts, he swears, he argues, he works too much, and he doesn't take anything seriously) ..... I don't always make the right decisions, but I do make decisions, and I form opinions. Live and learn. I'm human......well, at least as human as any other hairless ape.

Funny though, I'm on an internet forum to talk to people about martial arts, because I don't know anyone outside of my school who would want to talk MA's at all, under any circumstances. Why the-hell-else would I be on here? BTW, my Master and I look nothing alike.

Think about it. Your rep means nothing, but the schools & people who run them.
    Self-respect is more important than rep. I respect myself, and I do my own dirty work, and I work hard at the things I do. If people think I'm an *******, well, they're probably right.
    Last edited by Shaolin Wookie; 02-27-2007 at 01:16 PM.

7. Because he rubbed me the wrong way

Nah... nothing's impossible... however, a little manners goes a long way in telling the story

good point but it could also be your perception of his telling that is off.

Well... then what's the point?

the point is im sure the round was handled respectfully

What's the difference? If you're trading hands, you're trading hands. Otherwise you're playing pattycake.

true but there is trading hands with respect and their is beating a lesser fighter up just because you can

Here we go with the slapping again. If you don't play the game that a person is accustomed to playing, chances are you're coming out on top just by confusing them. Don't mistake that for being better, take it for being different.

so i should fight down to my opponent because he doesnt know what im doing? that is a silly statement my friend

BTW... in that 5 years he said he trained... how many hours was that?

3 days a week he said. not sure his exact training routine.

I never said that actually.

no but you implied that he had to have been a monster to achieve it

That's great.

thanks

That's great.

thanks

And exactly what "style" is it?

depends on who im fighting actually. it can be tiger or crane or ba gua or tai chi(my preferred style) or monkey. still working on mantis but love the pressure point stuff

Who says I haven't? Who says I have? Who's making presumptions now?

so far you have made presumptions and rude comments because you didnt perceive someones post in a way that you liked.

all you have done is criticize and mock. made presumptions about a persons character and claimed he would be called out in his school because you got rubbed the wrong way.

your attitude has come off as extremely rude to me. so i will presume you have not crossed hands with sd folks. if you have please let us know how big of a monster you were THAT day

Shaolin Wookie

Mo Duk is a Cantonese expression for martial ethics. The Mandarin equivalent is Wu De.

I'm sure I don't know you. Your statement above about not knowing what the seniors in your school do is what I'm talking about. How can you possibly make a decision based on an intro class with no real substance of what's being taught?? It'd be like joining the military ( No offense to our fighting men & women ) because you thought the uniforms were cool. That's the smallest margin of a thing.
    Actually, I'd be spending my time in those lower ranks for quite some time. It's a valid comparison, b/c I'm comparing what I do now in the lower ranks, to what I'd be doing for an equal amount of time in the lower ranks elsewhere. Hope that answers your question.

Lovely, but it does you no service when trying to talk to a large audience who don't know you but only have your words, voicing, diction & phrasing to go on.
    Not to harp on this subject...as I will no longer address this issue (It bores me, and I bore myself as I adress an issue that bores me so *yawn*), but maybe you shouldn't be so sensitive to things you read on the net? If this issue must be resolved by a death match, I feel I must inform you that Knifefighter already has me booked for a best 2 out of 3 death match jamboree, and I will not have much time for any more death matches in the next, well, lifetime.

Oh, and thanks Xia.
    Last edited by Shaolin Wookie; 02-27-2007 at 02:03 PM.

Xia

What does "gong sau" mean?
    - Aristotle

The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Oh, and thanks Xia.
    You are welcome.
    Lamassu,
    Gong Sau is another Cantonese expression. It means "talking hands", another words fighting.
    Last edited by The Xia; 07-02-2007 at 08:52 PM.

Due to the recent flush of the Is SD Real activity (largely on my part, as I'm suffering from severe boredom at work), let me re-post this issue, a subject in which I have great interest:

Alright, in the interest of making this thread run onto 300 pages ASAP , I'm interested to know some of the tales that surround our forms. I'm a literary man, so it's kind of a thing I'm interested in, plus I love Chinese literature....

For instance: Hai Lun Chong=the Monkey King rampaging through the Eastern Sea Dragon's kingdom in Journey to the West.

In the form, concerning animal attidues, etc., you flip around and whirl a lot like a monkey thrashing through a kingdom would, have that cool kneeling stance with a side hand extended and the eyebrow-stick over the shoulder, and that downward strip which hits the ground in a monkey stance in full grip. Although it's not typically considered a monkey form, I do consider it to be one based on its structure. Hell, you're using an eyebrow-height-staff.....and the form refers to the time where he obtained the staff for the first time (while he was squatting in the king's chambers and making general mischief)....

I was sifting through some old SD threads (man, "work" is boring), and found some discussion about translation of SD forms, etc:

Originally Posted by Judge Pen
    Lol, no but that term has apparently stuck around. I didn't know about it until that thread actually. The form in question is "Ching Kang Fu Hu Chien" I always called it "Golden Mountain Tiger Trap" (Which seems to be the consensus looking at the various SD websites' translations. Some variations include the SDA site, which has it listed as "Golden Metal Man Tiger Trap" Atlanta's site has it listed: Jin Gang Fu Hu Quan - "Wu Sung Defeats the Tiger"
    http://forum.kungfumagazine.com/foru...&page=82&pp=10

The link to the page where GT says the misnomer was funny and kind of stuck.

The discussion concerned the translation of "Jingang" from Jingang fu hu chien.....and Gene posted a link to a WuSong article, because apparently ATL sometimes calls the form "Wu Song defeats the Tiger."

Quotations from the article: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/maga...hp?article=237

"In the novel (Water Margin), Wu Song has finished a special mission and passed by a small village (Mount Jinyang) on the way to visit his brother. He reads a notice warning travelers to avoid going out after sunset because of a big, man-eating tiger in the surrounding woods. The villagers are terrified and refuse to leave their homes at night.

For the safety of the people, Wu Song decides to kill the tiger himself. After drinking three bowls of wine, he went in search of the tiger with his staff. When the tiger leaped out at him in the woods the staff broke, and Wu Song grabbed the neck of the tiger. Finally, he killed it with his bare hands. One might also read the battle with a man-eating tiger as a political allegory."

Well, "Jinyang" is pretty much the same flavor as "Jingang", so this would mark a link between this form and the Water Margin. And at the very end of the form, you have that elbow followed by a face rake, neck grab, then the smashing of the face on the knee....kind of imitating grabbing a tiger by the neck and killing it with the knee....which summarily ends up closing the form pretty much, aside from the salute.

Pan Long Bong, from what I gather, is a form that comes from the son of a famous general who used a spear (I don't remember the names...or teh source....if anyone can supply these for me, I'd be veeeeeery appreciative ), but became an outlaw when the general was killed. He entered the Shaolin Temple to hone his skills so he could get revenge, a la Masterkiller , and faced a contraption like a Metal Wolf in one of the chambers, and used his staff to knock out the teeth using the circle/winding motions. Someone in class said there was a Shaw Bros. movie that had a scene like that or something. Any references would be cool....

If any of you guys know some of the tales that surround the forms (in terms of literature), and you post them, I'll PM you a link to real nudie shots of Jessica Simpson......just kiddin'...

Or am I?

Thank you Xia.
    - Aristotle

- Arthur C. Clarke

Meat Shake

What do you mean by this ??

Boy, is my face red.

Some people call those who dont gently tell them that their bull**** is really pudding rude and *******s. No sweat off my ass.

Cant figure out what your trying to say. KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !

Bubba, do you really think you can say anything to change their minds?
    The worst part is, I think I was like that too at one time
    VOTE FOR PEDRO '08

Ever notice how virtually everyone agrees that 95% of all traditional schools are crap, but NOBODY ever admits to being in that 5%? Don't judge... your skill may suck also...
    Quote from SevenStar

Just call me the Shaolin Do Wet Blanket. Gene Ching