View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 343 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 243293333341342343344345353393443843 ... LastLast
Results 5,131 to 5,145 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    It's an associates degree, at best. You know what an associates gets you in the real world? Maybe $2 an hour more than the guy who barely passed high school.

I've learned enough since then to know after 2 years I didn't know d1ck.
    each time a gain a new level of understanding with my martial arts practice it makes me a beginner all over again ... as you peel away the layers of skill you will always find a way that you can improve.

Not really. Running 35 miles a week doesn't have anything to do with martial arts or fighting. Pro fighters don't run 35 miles a week. Most of them don't run 5 miles a week. Being an athelete is great, but unless you were a combat athelete (Judo, boxing, wrestling, etc...), it doesn't give you a bump in the experience category. Sorry, bro.
    true :-) ... having good physical condition is helpful but it does not translate to martial skill or understanding ...

Your own style doesn't even recognize you as an official student until you reach your black belt.
    this is in a sense true. you are not really even a beginner until you have reached 1st black. then you should have the tools to start learning martial arts.

that time is about 3 years ... in this time you learn basics. its just most do not take the time to practice the basics they just "learn" them :-)

best,

bruce
    best,

bruce

Happy indeed we live,
    friendly amidst the hostile.
    Amidst hostile men
    we dwell free from hatred.

http://youtube.com/profile?user=brucereiter

Two years is not a lot of time. Personally I don't think anyone should even be near a black belt in that time period. However at the CSC one can very easily go from white belt to black belt in less than 15 months.

[QUOTE=ZhuFu;742232]
    Quote Originally Posted by ZhuFu View Post
    The title of the TV Series was:

I scanned a picture of the book for the Karate Series that came with the video series:

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u...karatebook.png

This was pre-shao-lin Do era
    hi zhufu,

thanks for the picture. does the book talk about tai chi chuan, pakua chang or hsing i chuan? if so would you share what it says?

best,

bruce
    best,

bruce

Happy indeed we live,
    Amidst hostile men

The WC guy I sparred had 2 years as well, and he was a black belt......hahaha.....

Me, I'm waiting 3.

Ah well, I'm a noob.

Anyone who wants to take issue with me: I am accepting all challenges, so long as they are submitted in writing. But only I can pick Law or Lei....and we're playing Tekken Tag...none of that soft wishy-washy Tekken 4 or 5 crap.

Bring your own beer, beeyotch!!

Wink

[QUOTE=shaolindoiscool;742267]
    Quote Originally Posted by ZhuFu View Post

hi zhufu,

thanks for the picture. does the book talk about tai chi chuan, pakua chang or hsing i chuan? if so would you share what it says?

best,

bruce
    My pleasure...

I always thought the book was a little odd, being that this was supposed to be kung fu.
    In the first chapter it talks about the Samurai Soard, Nunchaku, Bo, Sai, Tonfa, Swriken stars, and Kris with the only mention of a traditional Chinese weapon being the spear. Another oddity is that his name is spelled Sin Kuang The, rather than Sin Kwang The.
    There is very little history and background in the book, it does mention Tai Chi and Pa Kua but not much is said (A Shao-lin Do Association Manual, or Chinese Shao-lin Center manual has more info, depending on which empire you belong too).
    Its mainly a book of drawings of 2 people going thru Chin Na, Ippons, and Techniques.

10 miles from nowhere right in the middle of everywhere
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post

Hahaha...........

I hear that all the time on here. Ya know.....2 years isn't a lot....but it's not nothing. You had to study for those same 2 years to get to where you are right now. You didn't learn anything in those two years? I have a piddling 2 years, yes, and a lifetime of intense athletics. I have the cardio of a distance runner (min. 35 miles/week on top of training ). I think that helps a little, don't you?
    Nah not really... it just means you can keep a cardio pace with a long distance runner. In many CMA schools two years of training time equals getting a pretty good grip on the basics, not much else.

Seriously, Bubba....you don't have a sense of humor, do you? Believe me, I'm polite. But I'm not talking to a person. I'm talking to a troll (Lungushan, is that you?) It is precisely when people start throwing around Dim Mok Du Wu Deus Ex Machina reprobations that I tend to think......oh my god, here comes someone with no sense of humor......"you will address me as sensei, young reprobate"......
    Actually I have a well developed sense of humor when something's funny. When it's not & in bad taste, I tend to not laugh much.

As to being a troll... hardly.

You're on an internet forum. Get over yourself. This isn't quite life and death.
    Sure it's not. Never said it was. Again you missed the point of what I was trying to tell you. But that's ok... it's to be expected I guess.

I'm laughing my ass off, b/c this doesn't come down to ethics, morality, maturity, or anything else. You decided to read a post in a certain tone, and then got a little miffed that an SD guy actually used his bogus kung-fu to "slap around" a WC guy with "little effort". Would you have been as miffed had I said my SD proved inferior and a WC guy slapped me silly because I couldn't keep up with him? No, you'd probably say....go check out D. Lin's Shuai Chou school and learn how to really fight............
    Nope, but at least you wouldn't have come on bragging about it. Or if you had people would've probably congratulated you in learning something new. However you came on bragging about "this", saying you "learned all that" in a handful of intro classes. That's what got me miffed.

Well, you already did say that.
    Nope didn't say it... suggested you go see him with the same attitude you present here & bring up gong sau so you could experience "the real deal" instead of sparring, but never said out right to go. There's a difference.

Well, I don't know about you, but I've never sparred with little or no effort. Had I used little or no effort, the WC guy would have slapped me around silly.
    Well, from the way you started off, you put it out there as it didn't take much. How were we supposed to know that?

What you seem to have a problem with is the manner in which I wrote my post, b/c obviously you got the impression that I think I'm invincible with my pre-blackbelt material, and that I went around laying the smackdown on every tom, ****, and harry in the ATL. Didn't quite go down like that. Guys who know me on here (there's one or two I know of) could quickly say---naw, man, he's good for a browbelt, but that's a bout it. If you want to offer writing advice, go ahead. I'm always open to that (I'm a writer, too....and a painter.....so I'm open to criticism). But the ethics of internet posting?
    Ethics of internet posting are the same ethics you should use daily. Be nice, be polite, don't speak badly about other because it may come back to haunt you, etc... A good up bringing in MA ought to be like a good upbringing at home. You ever hear "If you don't have anything good to say, don't say it"?

I scoff at this. Scoff! Scoff!
    You can see a doctor about that & probably get a prescription to fix it.

For specifics, it was sparring. You get hit. He picked the pace and hte level of impact. The guy knew I had 2 years experience (Iso did he-2 years....or did you miss that, too?) I'm laid back. I didn't issue a challenge. He said, use what you know. He didn't say, use my first-day material at WC. I didn't have any. But he said: why don't you join in the sparring, even though you don't have any material? Just use what you know. (wink wink...I slowed down to his pace after 3 minutes, when I realized there was a skill gap, and he kept turning his back and getting swept)......
    Left out that juicy detail too huh?

When we were finished, we shook hands, smiled, said: that was a good match. After class, we talked about MA for 25 minutes. It was cool to go "shopping around," as I realized there were a lot of people very interested in MA, and passionate about their training.
    Well at least you showed good manners in person.

You seem to have the image of a Shaw Bros movie in your head, where I laid out a challenge and took on a school. For Christ's sake, man........ ......hahahaha.......
    Nah... Shaw brothers are over rated.

He asked me to spar. So I did. I owned. Good day. Story done.
    You still don't get it, but whatever works for you.

Why don't you just get the **** over it? Or........perhaps it was you I slapped around with little or no effort?
    Nah... not quite.

Come on, man...........develop a sense of humor.

This issue is finished.
    Like I said, my sense of humor is excellent when there's something to enjoy.

[QUOTE=ZhuFu;742272]
    Quote Originally Posted by shaolindoiscool View Post

My pleasure...

I always thought the book was a little odd, being that this was supposed to be kung fu.
    In the first chapter it talks about the Samurai Soard, Nunchaku, Bo, Sai, Tonfa, Swriken stars, and Kris with the only mention of a traditional Chinese weapon being the spear. Another oddity is that his name is spelled Sin Kuang The, rather than Sin Kwang The.
    There is very little history and background in the book, it does mention Tai Chi and Pa Kua but not much is said (A Shao-lin Do Association Manual, or Chinese Shao-lin Center manual has more info, depending on which empire you belong too).
    Its mainly a book of drawings of 2 people going thru Chin Na, Ippons, and Techniques.
    thanks for the info ... :-)
    best,

bruce

Happy indeed we live,
    Amidst hostile men

Manners

Why is it that todays NEW martial artist have little or no regard for protocol and Manners ??? This is a trend I have noticed that has been around since the early 2000's. I have seen it on this forum and even in the schools themselves. WHATS WITH THAT /// ??? KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba O'Reilly View Post
    Every CMA player I know though has been taught their school's version Mo Duk.
    Maybe, but everyone seems to forget their manners on an internet forum. And without being able to read tone and body-language, its easy to misconstrue things that are said. Point in fact, I thought you were being a bit to harsh on your commentary to SW, but since you've explained your position, perhaps I just misunderstood you.

As for SW's experiences, at least he's out there checking out other styles. All too often SD people are accused of keeping their heads in the sand. He doesn't and umbridge is taken in the way he described a friendly sparring encounter. Maybe his experience with the WC player isn't an accurate translation into a real world fight, maybe the guy was being nice, maybe the guy was trying real hard; who knows? It's not inconceivable that SD can train someone like SW to be capable in a friendly sparring match against one of another style.

I guarantee this. If SW has his rear handed to him in this friendly match, there will be some who say (and many more who think but remain silent) that its another piece of proof on how shoddy SD is.

I may have put some of the things that SW said in a different way, but I give him credit for putting himself out there.

Bubba, it seems that you have some perspective--what can you tell us about your background (while preserving your anonymity of course). A little background information on your training always helps us understand your perspective.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

manners...

From what I could tell after reading this whole thread, I'd say there always BEEN a complete lack of manners (at least directed towards SD). I've just assumed that's how things are run here on this forum. Smack talking K1/WWE style: "Let me tell you something BROTHER!!!" *arrrgghhh* *grrrrrrrrr* *snort* Me heep big martial artist, you wimpy SD student!
    We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit.
    - Aristotle

The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

It's always seemed strange to me, that although MMA trolls like KF, etc., talk down on CMA, they've rarely talked down to me--SD or no SD. Sometimes, but not that much when I consider it truthfully. Oftentimes, it's b/c I do raise a stupid point. But CMA guys do it all the time (talk down to each other, that is, rather than debating issues and points/counterpoints....it's always "I have this many years under this teacher, in this style, and who are you? How long you train? 2 years? What a child......a mere kid......[Please.....leave your lineages and ages at the door.....we're all MA's, beginners and pros, and we're here to talk MA....not measure our dongs....)....and they love to back their semantic nitpicking up with quotes from online dictionaries!!! Oh, the horror!! The horror!!! Then they spout Wu De, and such, because they think that when you voice an opinion, it ought to be censored, and put up for censure. b/c obviously a newb has no genuine insight.....he's an uneducated little ***** with a massive ego complex.....ah...who's being presumptious and egotistical? Guess we have differing opinions.....and I never was much for moral authority . **** the Man!

The MMA guys only care--put up or shut up. In MMA, a kid w/ 2 quality years can sometimes kick the living crap out of a twenty year keyboard vet.....not to mention in CMA....

Even skeptics (amongst whom I might count myself) like RD and Xia are usually willing to have a decent conversation, as peers, and they don't hold things over your head with a "holier than thou" mentality. They'll talk with you, form opinions, and live and learn, for the most part, and occasionally post random nonsense about scam artist chicks they meet on the net (RD, that is).

And if I crack a joke, they might laugh. It might be an racy joke........but we're not in church, man! And I don't think there are a bunch of little old ladies posting here! Weeeellll....that might be a stretch.

Not to mention this dude has about as many posts as he's taken to quibble over idle clishmaclaver like it's his MO........ .......and I'm his object of......well......obsession.....

10 posts, just for me? I'm blushing.......

Quote: "I've been lingering for some time"...........hahahahaha.........jeeez....I think I see him "lingering" outside my window right now......

Can anyone say troll?
    Last edited by Shaolin Wookie; 02-28-2007 at 04:34 PM.

And if I crack a joke, they might laugh. It might be an racy joke........but we're not in church, man! And I don't think there are a bunch of little old ladies posting here! Weeeellll....that might be a stretch.
    Just me.

So Here We Go / Manners

I have posted a number of times most recently in a discussion with SM and he was somewhat disrespectful to those he "talks" with. Not just me I dont really care I just try to look at the source and go from there . However I have noticed a blanket disrespect over all , even though we can all learn from each other. It seems to me that the MMA / Cross trining MA groups are the worst. Why is that ??? Is it really only about fighting ?? Of course those who are into fighting slander those who want more from what they do. I was always taught to respect other MA no matter the rankl but to show respect to those above me in rank. I too have fallen into trhe disrespect trap with JP to name one and now we get along. I think haha. Well I think I have been called out by 2-3 guys on this forum not directly mind you but sort of. Well no big deal. Its only words. But I have to wonder what happened to those who feel like they are the know all and tell all to be such asses. well I awaiot your comments and , off the subject but SM you did not pm me as to who you might be are you afraid I might know you are since I too trained in Austin ???? KC
    OOPs I meant Meats shake not Shake meat
    Last edited by kwaichang; 02-28-2007 at 06:33 PM.
    A Fool is Born every Day !

Thought you might have been talking about me....hehehe.....

I think respect works two ways. I'm into respect by default, so long as it's mutual. If it's demanded, mutual respect is not there (it's more emollument, than anything)......and I'm the kind of guy that'll walk off and pretty much disregard anything that person has to say, b/c I lose interest due to the attitude. If I had walked into an SD school, and the master took one look at me, and said: "Give me respect, because I've earned it....." Well, he may have earned it from others, but certainly not by demanding it by rank, etc....and he wouldn't earn it from me by demanding it. My teacher treated me with respect in our first interaction. He has so ever since. I respect the hell out of him, because he even tolerates some of the more.......unorthodox amongst his students (thinking of a good word for myself.... .....)

I tutored students in English during college. I never held my expertise over anyone's head. I recognized I had a service someone needed, and I respected them for coming to me for help in order to improve themselves. It wasn't---give me money, now bow before the superior might of this almighty intellect!!!! They paid me for their time. I'd like to think I paid them for their time (just with a different currency ). Something I think I needed drilled home by KC and JP when I ranted on the subject of GM The' a while back.

It's a mutual thing. Not, I don't respect you yet, but you should respect me now. More like.....I know something you might not, I'm sure you know something I don't, so let's share......

Always been my approach to this board....except where we're debating religion and UFO's, of course....

Golden Leopard 3 & 4

Somebody mentioned it being possible to get a black belt at a CSC center in 15 months. That seems really quick. I can't imagine it taking me personally (and that's just me) less than 3 years at our school (Mullins) to get to black sash. Mathematically it would be possible to do it in 2 1/2 years, but you'd have to really be training daily and really know your stuff. That's just me, I'm not saying it couldn't be done, it just seems really quick for a student to mature that quickly.

Even in ITA TaeKwonDo it takes a minimum of two years mathematically.

By the way, anyone coming to Golden Leopard 3 & 4 this weekend?