View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 347 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 247297337345346347348349357397447847 ... LastLast
Results 5,191 to 5,205 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

In reference to the Photobucket pictures:

Was that Tang Soo Do tablet at the Shaolin Temple? If so, what was it doing there? I know Tang Soo Do means something like "Way of the China Hand" or something similar, but I thought most Korean stylists considered that a purely Korean art.

When I was in TaeKwonDo, we got a lot of Tang Soo Do people in our school, and one of my first instructors was a black belt in TSD and not TKD. They never referenced ANYTHING Chinese about that art. In fact, they talked about how Traditionally Korean it was.

If that wasn't a picture from China, then ignore what I just asked.

Quote Originally Posted by kwaichang View Post
    i AM SAYING THAT IF YOU SET LIMITATIONS BASED UPON THE NORM THEN YOU WILL not accomplish any thing worth while. Can a man lift 10000 lbs I dont know a woman has been known to lift a Car or 4000 pounds off a baby. I feel we limit ourselves due to our own negativity which you through logic seem to portray. Can a man / woman run a 3 minute mile or 4 minute mile or 100 meters in 9 seconds. 50 years ago the answer was the same as you have said "Its impossible" and so it is. But the 4 minute miles has been broken and maybe soon the 2 minute mile. as long as people dont get to that guy and brainwash him into thinking he cant. KC
    So let's get down to it.

You believe that there was once a man that could go into a crowded room and actually tell you how many people are in that room by counting the people breathing?

If so, how did this man gain this skill?

There is a stry I heard once about a blind man who could tell you how many people were in a room and he could also walk by a number of them and let them tell him their name and then go into the other room and let the people walk into the room and he could tell them who they were. BTW the people did not say anything. I believe wuth training one can have enough sensitivity that they can detect , PARDON THE PUN" a disturbance of the vibrations of the room. we all have electromagnetic or should I say biomagnetic waves we are all different then whynot 13 instead of 12. Havent you ever had a feeling and it end up being true ?? KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !

Quote Originally Posted by kwaichang View Post
    There is a stry I heard once about a blind man who could tell you how many people were in a room and he could also walk by a number of them and let them tell him their name and then go into the other room and let the people walk into the room and he could tell them who they were. BTW the people did not say anything. I believe wuth training one can have enough sensitivity that they can detect , PARDON THE PUN" a disturbance of the vibrations of the room. we all have electromagnetic or should I say biomagnetic waves we are all different then whynot 13 instead of 12. Havent you ever had a feeling and it end up being true ?? KC

That doesn't answer the question.

The question was: Do you believe there was a man who could tell how many people are in a room by counting how many is breathing?

I'll answer that with a direct "No".

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by NastyHaggis View Post
    In reference to the Photobucket pictures:

Was that Tang Soo Do tablet at the Shaolin Temple? If so, what was it doing there? I know Tang Soo Do means something like "Way of the China Hand" or something similar, but I thought most Korean stylists considered that a purely Korean art.

When I was in TaeKwonDo, we got a lot of Tang Soo Do people in our school, and one of my first instructors was a black belt in TSD and not TKD. They never referenced ANYTHING Chinese about that art. In fact, they talked about how Traditionally Korean it was.

If that wasn't a picture from China, then ignore what I just asked.
    The masters at the csc denver school made this claim for many years in regards to the stone tablets that they/GMT claimed they have been honored by at the Hunan Temple in China:
    "He is the only person in 1500 years to be honored with a monument at the Hunan Shao-lin Temple". The problem was is that this Tang So Do tablet was there first, as well as quite a few other schools. A donation was paid to the temple in order to have a tablet. This picture was taken in China, at the Hunan Shao-lin Temple in 1989 which was prior to their (csc) tablet being placed. They still maintain that they were "invited to have a tablet" and then "honored" with one, with no mention of the donation made.
    (I would guess like a public TV station inviting you to make a donation, and then honoring you by sending a t-shirt after you send your money in), my attemp of synical humor, not meant to offend anyone..
    Last edited by ZhuFu; 03-02-2007 at 09:00 PM. Reason: typo
    Legend: A lie that has attained the dignity of age---H. L. Mencken

Sin has many tools, but a lie is the handle which fits them all ----Edmund Burke

Honor is simply the morality of superior men---H. L. Mencken

6. yes i believe a person could and can tell the difference between 12 and 13 people breathing.

sensitivity training and sensory deprivation training make this skill attainable

it is no different than a blind person being able to navigate a room they have never been in before purely by their senses.

It makes for a good fairy tale but in all honesty it can't be done.

To prove me wrong I wouldn't mind hearing about someone who can do this now.

Quote Originally Posted by Baqualin View Post
    Not me and Su Kong passed on in 1922....makes no sense to use this guy, he has to much publicity surrounding him......... GMS is smarter than that...that I know! Anyway the answer is in the link...someone who cares just needs to contact the Archeologist listed.
    BQ
    who's to say that Master Sin started it . Maybe Ie Chang Ming did. I have to admit that these look like the same person. Remember these people and this person were around long before all of us.

I am not saying it is not Su Kong but...it looks like it is the same person. The picture of Su kong is from when?? this other picture is from what 1921 and Su Kong died in 1922?? Very strange to say the least.

Whether the story of Su Kong is legend or not ,( who ****ing cares anyway? it could have been a story just to entertain a young student). The hearing of 13 breaths instead of 12 is possible.

Was is not in Empire Strikes Back where Luke is training with Yoda and Yoda raise the x wing fighter out of the swamp and Luke says something like "I do not believe it." and yoda says something like" this is why you fail."

it is because of the doubt and question in our minds and hearts that we can not achieve these types of things.

belts , material ,and time and effort

I believe for anyone to have a strong foundation in the art they need to spend 6months at each belt level up to brown , 2 years for brownbelt levels ,total 4years period. The Cr@p I have seen coming out of the schools is rediculous.

Quote Originally Posted by tattooedmonk View Post
    Whether the story of Su Kong is legend or not ,( who ****ing cares anyway? it could have been a story just to entertain a young student). The hearing of 13 breaths instead of 12 is possible.

Was is not in Empire Strikes Back where Luke is training with Yoda and Yoda raise the x wing fighter out of the swamp and Luke says something like "I do not believe it." and yoda says something like" this is why you fail."

it is because of the doubt and question in our minds and hearts that we can not achieve these types of things.

Well what can I say, many people believe in Sasquatch and Aliens too.

All that said I would like to see a demostration in a controlled environment. I would also bet any amount of money that I have that this is impossible.

Well BD you must be from Missouri haha, YES I BELIEVE IT, I have seen some phenominal unexplainable things and I believe with the right training it can be done. KC
    PS if you only believe what you can see or is Logically proven then you must have little faith Grasshopper
    A Fool is Born every Day !

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderDawg View Post
    Of course certain men can lift a 1,000 pounds. That is actually within the capacity of men to do.

However there is no one alive that can lift 10,000 pounds. Just like there is no one that could ever distinguish between 12 people breathing and 13 people breathing.

Are you saying they are people who can run a two minute mile, lift 10,000 pounds or maybe jump 50 feet in the air?
    No, but as Gene has submitted to public review many times, there's a guy that can pull a friggin' airplane with his dong. Last I heard, he was trying to get his hands on a 747 for a record pull.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderDawg View Post
    It makes for a good fairy tale but in all honesty it can't be done.

To prove me wrong I wouldn't mind hearing about someone who can do this now.
    Interestingly enough, I've seen several TV specials about how blind people cope with blindness. There's a group in NYC that has come up with a veeeery interesting method to navigating the city.

They basically emulate sonar. They walk around the city with little "clickers" that make a click. Based on how the click sounds, they can tell where things are in relation to themselves with remarkable accuracy. They react to the reverberations of sound waves. I was astounded by this feat. Apparently, there's quite a few people that can do this--none of them superheroes, and little more than ordinary blind folk. All it took was very specific focus on a desired result. (Hahaha......that last sentence is like the usual translation of "kung-fu") .

The reason I bring this up, is that their "sixth sense" sensory perception is directly related to their survival. If they take one step too many at an intersection---could be lights out forever.....in a manner of speaking. (OK, that's a bad joke, I admit it).

If Liu Fu Tao has a kernel of truth to it, I'm sure it's just capitalizing on the same sensory tuning these blind people have capitalized on.

If I can find a link, I'll edit this post and post it below:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpBm4KoWsrY

Okay....there's the link. I'm at work, and I can't access Youtube's vids, so I can't verify that this is a good link, or even on target, but by the description, it sounds like it's valid. Basically, this is a guy named Underwood (last name) who was featured in People magazine for using "Echol"---their sonar emulation technique.

Once again, Shaolin Wookie dropkicks the abstruse into a low earth orbit. Thank you all. You're much too kind.....please don't bow....
    Last edited by Shaolin Wookie; 03-03-2007 at 06:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tattooedmonk View Post

Do you know what my first reaction to the Su Kong story was?

I was entertained. It made for a good story.

Does it have to be true? Well, does the Triad story have to be true for other lineages? Does CLF's history have to be true?

Nope. It just has to gel with the Martial Art's students, and give them a model to work after---hence, a master with unbelievable skill, achieved with what? Kung-fu....hard work. Note--nobody ever became a better martial artist by believing in a story. But it might have entertained him for a good 15 minutes.

I'm starting to think a little like Gene regarding the SD lineage. I think the hairy monk tale is one of the best stories it has, to be honest. Does it have to be true? Nope.

Who knows, maybe Su Kong stumbled, or a drop of water fell from the ceiling, and he looked up for a second and saw the guy, then started screaming: "Ahhhhhhhh!" And then threw a knife at the guy. Or maybe the guy cut the cheese, thereby revealing his position.

Only a putz takes legend as fact. Here's a good, relevant example: At the battle of Thermopylae, who actually believes 300 Spartans took on several million Persians?

Answer: very few......there were probably a couple hundred thousand Spartans in the least.....but it makes for a really cool story, doesn't it?

**If I recall correctly, I believe someone much wiser than myself mentioned this when he talked with me regarding SD's history.....(so I don't think that's an original Wookie comparison).**
    Last edited by Shaolin Wookie; 03-03-2007 at 06:42 AM.