View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 349 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 249299339347348349350351359399449849 ... LastLast
Results 5,221 to 5,235 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

I am shocked, SHOCKED! that someone would suggest this thread is redundant. I liked the analogy that this thread is like an old pub that is filled with regulars talking about the same stuff everyday with the occassional outsider wandering in to add their two cents which will do nothing to change the minds of the regulars.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

well TWS the meeting did take place got the answers I needed so sorry. So this means I have only 38 more years to find the bones whew better get started KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !

Tws

Were you the guy that was going to interview GMT with some hardnose questions? If so, did you approach the guy and what questions did you ask him? You talk of posturing, but well, thats what happens at tournaments regardless of what style is being performed. What did you think would happen? Caged fighting?

And for the record, KC, I wasn't doubting Su Kong's capability to determine the number of people in a room without visually counting them, I was commenting on the "if I can't do it then nobody can" mentality that many posters have on this forum. I can't run a mile in 2 min. but I know the minute I declare that no one in general can, then somebody will come along run a mile in 2 min. and I suddenly have egg all over my face. That's why I don't make blanket generalizations about mankinds capabilities to perform outstanding and outlandish feats, because whenever I do, that's when I'm proven wrong.

SW, where's this video you posted about blind people? I can't seem to find it.
    We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit.
    - Aristotle

The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by tattooedmonk View Post
    ...........as I understand it the southern temple that Su Kong resided in is different than the one from the Five Elders history.

The one of the five elders history was a smaller temple associated with the main temple ,so this would account for the difference in dates and histories.

Just like it was said before it is HIS Story.

Even the Bible is said to be the word of God but the problem is man wrote it and he has flaws and makes mistakes . Man has a narrow perspective based on biases. Do you , if you believe in the Bible , believe that it is all accurate and has no flaws ??

Hell so many books have been left out of the Bible.

As far as I am concerned the editing and leaving sections out is a flaw and outright a mistake.

Anyone read the Book of Enoch ?? That is some mind blowing $h!t!!

Only recently, ( this is relative ), has there been the documentation and publishing of the history of CMA and the Shaolin Temples .

There is a great deal of the history that has been lost for many reasons for many years.

Some say there was only one Shaolin Temple, in Honan. Some say that there was never any martial arts taught there. Many peolpe say all sorts of things and a great deal of it is hard to prove .

So take that and stick it in your ear!!!
    Double Nice

Quote Originally Posted by Lamassu View Post
    And for the record, KC, I wasn't doubting Su Kong's capability to determine the number of people in a room without visually counting them, I was commenting on the "if I can't do it then nobody can" mentality that many posters have on this forum. I can't run a mile in 2 min. but I know the minute I declare that no one in general can, then somebody will come along run a mile in 2 min. and I suddenly have egg all over my face. That's why I don't make blanket generalizations about mankinds capabilities to perform outstanding and outlandish feats, because whenever I do, that's when I'm proven wrong.
    Well Michael Johnson broke the world record for the 200 meter dash at the Olympics (he still holds that record by quite a margin). In 1996 he was the fastest human that ever lived. Yet his speed for the 200 meters was just a shade over 23 miles an hour.

I think it's fairly safe to say that no modern day human will ever run a 2 minute mile. Maybe after 20 millions years of evolution....who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderDawg View Post
    Well Michael Johnson broke the world record for the 200 meter dash at the Olympics (he still holds that record by quite a margin). In 1996 he was the fastest human that ever lived. Yet his speed for the 200 meters was just a shade over 23 miles an hour.

I think it's fairly safe to say that no modern day human will ever run a 2 minute mile. Maybe after 20 millions years of evolution....who knows.
    By striving for things that others believe to be impossible, humanity has accomplished many amazing things. This lack of looking past what most consider unachievable is why the people of today are heading for some unpleasant times. We have gotten so used to having things handed to us that we have stopped trying to reach for something better. This is one of the main reasons that I try and stay out of the "which MA is better" debates. I respect anyone; even someone from another art, for the simple fact is that they are doing something that others find takes too much effort.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderDawg View Post

so then, if my calculations are correct, Michael Johnson only needs to improve his speed by 7 miles an hour. That and maintain that speed for the length of one mile and he'll accomplish running a mile in two minutes. If he was declared the fastest human to ever live back in 1996 then I'll assume he made it in the Guinness Book of World Records, and statiscally speaking, those who make it in this book tend to be repeat record breakers; usually their own.
    - Aristotle

The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

I think if humanity was focused in a very serious way on producing faster runners we could break the 2 minute mile within 100 years.

This would require genetic engineering and selective breeding, but I am quite certain it could be done.

Through selective breeding alone it may be accomplished in a similar amount of time, but humans don't seem intent on that sort of thing, instead seeming to prefer choosing mates based on other criteria.

Now if Cybernetic Enhancement is allowed it could probably be done within the decade, but that is probably against the rules.

What were we talking about again?

Oh yeah... nothing.
    Words!

Just words!

Quote Originally Posted by Crushing Fist View Post
    I think if humanity was focused in a very serious way on producing faster runners we could break the 2 minute mile within 100 years.

This would require genetic engineering and selective breeding, but I am quite certain it could be done.

Through selective breeding alone it may be accomplished in a similar amount of time, but humans don't seem intent on that sort of thing, instead seeming to prefer choosing mates based on other criteria.

Now if Cybernetic Enhancement is allowed it could probably be done within the decade, but that is probably against the rules.

What were we talking about again?

Oh yeah... nothing.

What do you have against genetic engineering? As for cybernetic enhancement, it would be legal, if it became a standard issuing procedure, like having a microchip installed that has your entire medical history encoded. Better people through invasive science, get the results you want without all the pesky drugs.
    - Aristotle

- Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Lamassu View Post
    What do you have against genetic engineering? As for cybernetic enhancement, it would be legal, if it became a standard issuing procedure, like having a microchip installed that has your entire medical history encoded. Better people through invasive science, get the results you want without all the pesky drugs.
    but would they have to have another category for that?

Fastest Enhanced Human Land Speed Record or something. Probably. The purists would be up in arms.
    Words!

Just words!

Quote Originally Posted by Crushing Fist View Post
    but would they have to have another category for that?

Fastest Enhanced Human Land Speed Record or something. Probably. The purists would be up in arms.
    Nah. It'll all be under the table the way performance enhancing drugs are used by today's athelites. Besides, I find that the louder the "purists" scream and hollar the deeper they're involved in the very thing they're griping about.
    - Aristotle

- Arthur C. Clarke

Anyone know the World Record for swimming with your pecs?
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    Is that another Sin The claim?

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    That would be Gov. Arnold Schwartzenegger. Have you seen him give his famous pec demonstration? Freaky.
    - Aristotle

- Arthur C. Clarke

give me an arm that can crush a mans skull in my grip and ill drop my left right now!
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!