View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 35 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745851355351035 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Originally posted by Wharg0ul
    It's such a shame that on THE kung-fu magazine forums, for the world to see, there are so many disrespectful people. It really makes Kung-fu practitioners look hypocritical to see us preach of respect and honor and yet assault a school and it's members every time they are raised in discussion.
    Do you hear that siren? It sounds like a Whhhhaaaa-mbulance.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Originally posted by SimonM
    I'm a Buddhist.

Buddhism is my religion.

The Lord Buddha is not a god.

There is no heaven or hell.

People who say that Buddhism is not a religion have a shallow understanding of either Buddhism or religion.
    Well, since the standard textbook definition of religion is " the service and worship of God or the supernatural" and since Buddha was not a god, and did not speculate on the supernatural, you can kind of see the disconnect, can't you?
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Originally posted by MasterKiller
    Do you hear that siren? It sounds like a Whhhhaaaa-mbulance.

Thank you for proving my point SO elegantly.
    Steel sharpens on rock. Man sharpens on man.

Thank you for proving my point SO elegantly.
    Shoo. Go practice some "kata" or your official Shaolin Fukien 24-step Yang Tai Chi that was actually invented as a wushu form in 1956.

Shoo. Go practice some "kata" or your official Shaolin Fukien 24-step Yang Tai Chi that was actually invented as a wushu form in 1956.
    your confusion regarding our material does little to credit your arguments, and less to merit your negative attitude.

I'm not confused over your material.

Tai Chi Ar Se Se Tse. That's your 24-step form.

Everyone in the rest of the world knows it was invented in 1956. Everyone from an SD school thinks it comes from Shaolin. Shaolin Bagua...Shaolin Xing Yi....Shaolin Taiji....hahahahahahhaha

Our Yang contains 37 postures, our COMBINED tai chi form is 24 postures, and we know where it was invented and by whom, thank you.

Your personal crusade against our school is flattering, but don't you have something more constructive to do?

Our Yang contains 37 postures, our COMBINED tai chi form is 24 postures, and we know where it was invented and by whom, thank you.
    So who taught it to Sin The'?

This thread will never die.

Just give up, people will have their opinons about shaolin-do regardless of what we say here. Most of the people here are set in what they think, so arguing is just blowing so much empty air.

Your personal crusade against our school is flattering, but don't you have something more constructive to do?
    Tell me please... for my own personal edification... who created the form you call Yang with 37 postures? Where was it created?
    Message: Due to the ongoing Recession, God has decided the light at the end of the tunnel will be shut off due to power costs. That is all.

Whe I learned Tai Chi 24, my teacher told me that it was a recently created form by various tai chi masters. Sin The did teach it to his students, but didn't claim it was from shaolin--he said it was the most popular tai chi form in the world so he taught it to his students as well. (according to my teacher anyway--I don't know what other SD schools may claim).
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Originally posted by lxtruong
    This thread will never die.

Just give up, people will have their opinons about shaolin-do regardless of what we say here. Most of the people here are set in what they think, so arguing is just blowing so much empty air.
    I agree. I do however object to the fact that any thread brought up concearning SD immediatly becomes a target for flamers and trolls. It's disrespectul, and not necessary. Opinions are fine, everone has them, but there's no need to constantly interject it everywhere possible.

Topics about SD, or ANY other MA system do not need to be turned into 60-page flame wars. It's rediculous, childish, and it's not a very good representation of the character of kung-fu practitioners.

I've read MANY books on chinese martial arts, and so far my own training has been as consistant with what I've read as can be expected considering the cultural differances and diversities in China. If I see a chinese practitioner performing Chen style tai chi, it looks almost identical to the form I've seen (but still can't remember all of....what a brain-killer that is...). Weather or not our history is in question, our forms and techniques are legitimate.

I have better things to do than argue on forums all day. What I would LIKE to be able to do is discuss my system here without being bombarded by trolls. Is there enough mutual respect between martial artists on this board to allow for that?

I agree. I do however object to the fact that any thread brought up concearning SD immediatly becomes a target for flamers and trolls. It's disrespectul, and not necessary. Opinions are fine, everone has them, but there's no need to constantly interject it everywhere possible.
    YOU ressurected this old thread. Deal with the outcome, cry baby.

YOU ressurected this old thread. Deal with the outcome, cry baby.
    This is exactly what I mean of course. Further, I don't see how being polite and respectful classifies me as a "cry baby". To me, and I'm sure most others, it signifies having basic manners and a mentality beyond that of an adolescent's.

You can politely whine about not being able to discuss SD all day long. It still makes you a cry baby.
    Last edited by MasterKiller; 01-20-2005 at 02:31 PM.