View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 355 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 255305345353354355356357365405455855 ... LastLast
Results 5,311 to 5,325 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Quote Originally Posted by Meat Shake View Post
    Yup.
    Sure does.

I have known a few monks in my time... I could kick all of their asses at once, and Im not even kidding.
    But Ill be d@mned if they werent some of the most wonderful and kind hearted people I have ever known.

And philosophy in and of itself has nothing to do with fighting. Your training philosophy may explain why you did or didnt get your ass kicked, but not your belief in god or lack thereof.
    Wow. "philosophy has nothing to do with fighting?". How about "philosophy determines whether you'll get into a fight in the first place".
    Discussions of god may certainly have a place in philosophy, but those discussions are part of a very broad topic. Philosophy determines how one lives ones life, how one treats others, how generous one is, whether one is faithful, loyal, obnoxious, etc.
    I think it's clear from the postings on here from SD folks vs non SD folks that it is our philosophy that makes us different. We (SD folks) will have discussions, but consider the higher moral ground to be avoidance of a fight(not sparring, I too love a nice sparring match...). SDers are almost always polite and respectful; non SDers are usually polite, but most of the negative/combative/bellligerent/aggressive comments on this forum are made by them.
    Peace

2. Quote Originally Posted by NastyHaggis View Post
    Here's a beginner's question for you (perhaps JP might chime in since we have the same instructors) because I'm just a blue sash:

In "Fei Foo Hu Tung" (Black Tiger Comes Out From The Cave), the yellow sash form, after the roundhouse kick, and before the cat stance, when you move your left leg forward to the cat stance, is that SUPPOSED to be a sweep? I seem to recall hearing that, but I don't see anyone doing that. They just move their leg to a cat stance.

Thanks for helping out a lowly blue sash!
    flying tiger comes out of the cave

the leg movement can be a sweep but if anything it is for uproot only. not a full sweep as you are about to triple attack. it would be an unbalancing sweep so your kick and punches have a better affect.

honestly though that form is just a straightforward advance and attack form. not a lot of flashy stuff.

wait till brown belt for all the cool sweeping forms.

you'll love them!

Quote Originally Posted by NastyHaggis View Post
    Here's a beginner's question for you (perhaps JP might chime in since we have the same instructors) because I'm just a blue sash:

In "Fei Foo Hu Tung" (Black Tiger Comes Out From The Cave), the yellow sash form, after the roundhouse kick, and before the cat stance, when you move your left leg forward to the cat stance, is that SUPPOSED to be a sweep? I seem to recall hearing that, but I don't see anyone doing that. They just move their leg to a cat stance.

Thanks for helping out a lowly blue sash!
    'Fei' is flying and 'Hu' is tiger. As for your technique, it can be a type of sweep (as kfj mentioned). My particular application for that technique is pulling your opponent into your knee. It will work in the sequence of the form is you think of the principle of not letting go of your opponent once you get a hold of him. You are also dropping your weight straight down after you hit that cat stance. Can you visualize what I'm talking about NH?
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Yes JP, I can visualize it.

I appreciate the help. THIS is one of the things that makes our system special: the willingness to help each other out, and higher ranks not acting all high and mighty towards lower ranks (like me).

I think perhaps this discussion belongs in another thread, as it has veered away from Shaolin-Do, which is the topic of this thread. I appreciate your fervency with the current topic-du-jour, but it is really not about Shaolin-Do. Perhaps Gene could move this discussion to an appropriate forum?
    This thread is filled with off-topic discussion. I compared this thread to a bar once. How can you tell a bunch of guys at a bar to stick to one topic?
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaca
    Wow. "philosophy has nothing to do with fighting?". How about "philosophy determines whether you'll get into a fight in the first place".
    You could be the most peaceful person in the world and be at the wrong place at the wrong time.
    Discussions of god may certainly have a place in philosophy, but those discussions are part of a very broad topic. Philosophy determines how one lives ones life, how one treats others, how generous one is, whether one is faithful, loyal, obnoxious, etc.
    What does any of that have to do with how to fight?
    I think it's clear from the postings on here from SD folks vs non SD folks that it is our philosophy that makes us different. We (SD folks) will have discussions, but consider the higher moral ground to be avoidance of a fight(not sparring, I too love a nice sparring match...). SDers are almost always polite and respectful; non SDers are usually polite, but most of the negative/combative/bellligerent/aggressive comments on this forum are made by them.
    Peace
    Avoidance of a fight isn’t necessarily a decision based on morality. It can also be a decision based on pragmatism. Or it could be both. It could also be a flight response. It depends on the person. And sometimes there’s no avoiding it. Still, what philosophy are you talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by Flaca View Post

Sometimes, the fight comes looking for you and it's not your choice. You are either ready or you are not...doesn't matter what your personal philosophy on engagement is.

THIS is one of the things that makes our system special
    Well, that and the fuzzy grandmaster.
    Last edited by MasterKiller; 03-09-2007 at 12:08 PM.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    Well, that and the fuzzy grandmaster.
    Hell yeah!
    We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit.
    - Aristotle

The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

1. I don't care what other threads do, a thread is **supposed** to stay on topic. One shouldn't look at other threads gone awry and say, "Well if it's okay for that one it's okay for this one." That's a very self-serving viewpoint and is just an excuse to be lazy in an established forum thread instead of taking it to the proper thread (or private email).

2. This ISN'T a bar, it is a thread about Shaolin-Do. Compare it all you want to, but it's not a bar.
    Last edited by NastyHaggis; 03-09-2007 at 02:15 PM. Reason: Thread edited the word sop****ric automatically

All the n00bs are getting upset!
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

1. I don't care what other threads do, a thread is **supposed** to stay on topic. One shouldn't look at other threads gone awry and say, "Well if it's okay for that one it's okay for this one." That's a very self-serving viewpoint and is just an excuse to be lazy in an established forum thread instead of taking it to the proper thread (or private email).

2. This ISN'T a bar, it is a thread about Shaolin-Do. Compare it all you want to, but it's not a bar.
    First of all, I said that this thread (not others) has lots of off-topic discussion. Secondly, I think you are taking this stuff way too seriously.

My tone didn't come across the Internet. I'm not upset, nor am I taking this too seriously. I just made a suggestion, you responded, and I rebutted. That's all.

The Move in Fe Hu Chu Tung is a double arm twist with a sweep due to the fact that the body is off balanced. Of course this is the Taoist philosophical approach to the Move. KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !

Quote Originally Posted by kwaichang View Post
    The Move in Fe Hu Chu Tung is a double arm twist with a sweep due to the fact that the body is off balanced. Of course this is the Taoist philosophical approach to the Move. KC
    Ug. What does philosophy have to do with the move? Or are you trying to be humorous?

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Is Fe Hu Chu Tong a mantis set?

If it is, then you guys have the name wrong.

Why would a tiger be flying?

It is either

Hak Fu Chu Tong

or

Hei Hu Chu Tong

Depending on which dialect your speaking, either way it is Black Tiger Exits the Cave. There are a number of black tiger sets in mantis, influenced by the Shantung Black Tiger system. I have never heard of a "flying tiger" system.

The only set I know in Mantis that uses the word flying is Fei Yan Chang, Flying Goose Palm.
    Fei Hu Chu Tung is actually part of the Mountain Tiger set. The first Mantis form we learn is Luo Han Chuen.

As for a tiger flying, it's a loose translation, it's actually leaping out of the cave (or it's flying a very short distance )
    Last edited by Lamassu; 03-09-2007 at 03:53 PM.
    We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit.
    - Aristotle

The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Lamassu View Post
    Fei Hu Chu Tung is actually part of the Mountain Tiger set.

As for a tiger flying, it's a loose translation, it's actually leaping out of the cave (or it's flying a very short distance )

That's right. I've never known it to be described as a black tiger set.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.