View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 36 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846861365361036 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

the thing I don't understand is how some people have managed to hang around this forum for so long. Almost any other forum I've been to would ban people who contribute nothing but flame wars.

It's not a problem with SD, it's a problem with moderation of these boards.

If I were for a moment to sink down to your level of maturity, I might respond with "I know you are but what am I??"
    Steel sharpens on rock. Man sharpens on man.

Originally posted by Wharg0ul
    the thing I don't understand is how some people have managed to hang around this forum for so long. Almost any other forum I've been to would ban people who contribute nothing but flame wars.
    Well, then, check around. I regularly contribute to this board a wide and diverse range of topics concerning Chinese martial arts technique and history. Check yourself, n00b. You're fresh meat dabbling in dicey subject. If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Nice attitude. That alone is a fantastic contribution to teh kung-fu mentality

/end sarcasm

Honestly, man. people should be able to post on these boards without having people like you come along and bash at them with your bully-stick.

Why is MY CHOSEN SYSTEM a dicey subject? how about you just take your opinion, and your nasty attitude elsewhere. I suppose you also have such bigotry issues in other areas, maybe race or religion?

Check your ego, sir. And check your tongue.

Wharghoul , please contact Captain Pickaxe or Meatshake via PM and ask them thier opinions on shaolin do.

In my opinion, you can practice whatever you want to practice.
    This is a public forum, with a gathering of numerous chinese martial arts teachers and students alike.
    There are certain accepted facts about the origins of various styles, well documented lineages , and historical accounts.
    When something comes along that seems incosistent with not only the facts , but also visually does not resemble what it claims to be , it should be expected that it will be challenged.

That's all there is to it. MasterKiller is entitled to his opinion as you are to yours. This is neither a flame war nor a cause for banning someone.

Why is it moderation thats at fault when you don't get your own way?
    May I remind you that it is you who practice the style that the populous deem "sketchy", yet no moderator has attempted to ban you.

control your emotions , and try to use some reasoning and logic.
    Most people here don't adhere to blind faith. If someone asks you to proove your assertions, why not oblige them instead of getting heated.

Excuse me, but I'm not the one raving here. As I've stated above, I've been nothing but polite here.

Yes, everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but there's no reason to hijack threads just as an excuse to run down someone else's school.

It's about mutual respect. THAT's why this board needs moderation. Kung-fu practitioners should be able to come to this board and not have to worry about being persecuted about what they practice. You'll notice that I just started posting today. I've been reading these forums for a looong time now, but never posted anything because I was reluctant to be flame bait to the trolls here.
    Is that right? Should someone be afraid to post on a public forum because of the nasty attitude of it's participants? Isn't that what moderation is supposed to PREVENT?

This board is a hostile, disrespectful mess. MY first post on these boards was to answer a question as to the location of the CSC in Denver, and even that thread became a flame war.

I didn't come here to prove or disprove anyone's claims about their system, or school, or history. I didn't come here raving and insulting others. But this is the treatment I have recieved.

This is what people who WOULD be members of this forum and WOULD buy this magazine see, and it's not a very good representation of our art, our our character.

It's also not a place I would like to be. It's a shame, but I think I'll stick to books and schools, and let this forum go it's own way.

Seek and you will find.
    Kung Fu Magazine is not paying it's forum members to be here.
    In very rare cases some of us are even invited by staff to be here.
    We are a collective group of people from various walks of life, from various sides of the planet.
    If you came here and you've noticed that there is a stong discontent for shaolin-do then maybe there is a good reason for it, maybe there isn't.
    Some people here have better "people skills" than others, but that's just a fact of life my friend. It's a puddle that reflects the pond of life.
    There are Shaolin Do contributors to these board. Who have decided that it's better to stay than to leave.
    And why not?
    There is much to be learned from harsh criticisms as painful as it might be.
    I understand that it is important for you to be loyal to your school.
    some people vehemently oppose your schools claims, others like me play more of an Agnostic role.
    Embrace it and try to learn.
    Questioning things is a part of the process.

Constantly berating someone's school every time it is mentioned in a thread is neither constructive or useful, and is not conductive to an environment where people want to be.

Maybe some of you don't realise what a hostile, elitist environment you have here because you are used to it. But one would think that with good kung-fu, the internal aspects would be enough to prevent this kind of behavior from learned students. That is not what is exibited here, and it reflects badly on our art as a whole.
    I've seen posts on these boards where people felt that they would introduce a new school tho the community, only to be insulted and flamed right off the forum.

It's disgraceful.

Maybe if someone points out that the Emperor is naked, there will be a change, but I doubt it.

while i understand what you're saying,
    it's still a two sided coin.

"Excuse me, but I'm not the one raving here. As I've stated above, I've been nothing but polite here."

Agreed. but your machine gun speed reponses give people the impression you are hyped up.

"Yes, everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but there's no reason to hijack threads just as an excuse to run down someone else's school."

I think masterkiller is just trying to steer a newb in the right direction. At the same time trying to open your eyes to this art you study. He is actully doing you a favor.

"It's about mutual respect. THAT's why this board needs moderation. Kung-fu practitioners should be able to come to this board and not have to worry about being persecuted about what they practice. You'll notice that I just started posting today. I've been reading these forums for a looong time now, but never posted anything because I was reluctant to be flame bait to the trolls here.
    Is that right? Should someone be afraid to post on a public forum because of the nasty attitude of it's participants? Isn't that what moderation is supposed to PREVENT?"

Why would a nasty attitude make you afraid to post? Just debate your point. Ignore posters that just seem like they are attacking you personally.

"This board is a hostile, disrespectful mess. MY first post on these boards was to answer a question as to the location of the CSC in Denver, and even that thread became a flame war."

You think it is bad here? Go to bullshido.

"I didn't come here to prove or disprove anyone's claims about their system, or school, or history. I didn't come here raving and insulting others. But this is the treatment I have recieved."

Unfortunatly that happens here and in real life. My teacher was a monk and when I came on here everyone said he was fake and I freaked out. I knew he was skilled. That should have been good enough, but I argued and got defensive. Wasting my time and energy. Examine who is posting and what their past contibutions to the forum have been.

"This is what people who WOULD be members of this forum and WOULD buy this magazine see, and it's not a very good representation of our art, our our character."

Everyones art here is very different. Everyones character is different. I don't take kungfu to be enlightened. I train to improve movement and fight. Does nothing but waste your mental energy and time.

"It's also not a place I would like to be. It's a shame, but I think I'll stick to books and schools, and let this forum go it's own way."

Don't run away. Stand and argue your points or move on to another thread and ignore this one. Which by the way you brought back to life after months of dormincy.

Membership here

Kung Fu Magazine is not paying it's forum members to be here.
    That would be the day, wouldn't it?

We offer this forum as a public service, and a place to help promote our wares. For me personally, it's been a great place to send all those questions I get, since almost every one of them have already been answered here or can be answered here by one of many of our illustrious members. The forum is free, with the stipulation that we can revoke membership at any time, and edit or delete posts at our pleasure. We generally don't exercise this right unless provoked.

Shaolin-Do is always heated here. Just check our archives. A Shaolin-Do person who comes here steps into the hornets nest, but they have no one to blame but themselves since the archives are readily available to anyone, even non-members.

Have fun and carry on!
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

no one takes my cyber money

I have been saving up all this cyber money Gene sends to me via PMs and now I find out it's worthless.
    Masterkiller, take a look at the quote at the end of my reply.

VOTE FOR PEDRO '08

Ever notice how virtually everyone agrees that 95% of all traditional schools are crap, but NOBODY ever admits to being in that 5%? Don't judge... your skill may suck also...
    Quote from SevenStar

Just call me the Shaolin Do Wet Blanket. Gene Ching

This board is like life, and in life you are going to get all kinds of mixed nuts whether you are polite to them or not. Now the romantic notion is that people who share a love for kung fu should treat each other differently, but really that's unrealistic in life, and it's certainly unrealistic on an internet board full of anononimity (sp). MK and I go round on these points often, but only when someone new comes along and raises the issue. The rest of the time we debate movies, football, women, and technique . Talk about techniques and no one will attack the art that you study if you show knowledge with what you are talking about. Talk about history and. . . . well you've seen what happens.

Here's another challenge to you: Meet some people here. Train with them. So far I've meet people from Nashville, Asheville, and Atlanta. I've attempted to meet with some of the heavy-weights here like MonkeySlap Too and SevenStar (but I couldn't work it into my travel schedule at that time). Empty your cup and see what they have to offer. Take a seminar or two. It will give you a perspective on your own art and people wouldn't be able to accuse you of being closed minded.

Oh, if you think MK is bad, wait until you are dealing with Fred Sanford! He hates us!
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Originally posted by Judge Pen

Oh, if you think MK is bad, wait until you are dealing with Fred Sanford! He hates us! [/B]
    Oh I feel the love now!
    VOTE FOR PEDRO '08

Ever notice how virtually everyone agrees that 95% of all traditional schools are crap, but NOBODY ever admits to being in that 5%? Don't judge... your skill may suck also...
    Quote from SevenStar

Just call me the Shaolin Do Wet Blanket. Gene Ching

What's this "our art" stuff about?

This is what people who WOULD be members of this forum and WOULD buy this magazine see, and it's not a very good representation of our art, our our character.
    It's called Kung Fu Tai Chi Magazine, not Indonesian Karate Quaterly. Maybe you're at the wrong forum?
    Last edited by MasterKiller; 01-21-2005 at 07:44 AM.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Our Yang contains 37 postures, our COMBINED tai chi form is 24 postures, and we know where it was invented and by whom, thank you.

Your personal crusade against our school is flattering, but don't you have something more constructive to do?
    I was in the first Tai Chi 24 class that Master Sin taught and as JP stated, the background told to us was that it was a relatively new form that he had picked up from a collegue and was not part of the material handed down by Master Ie.

ok, what Yang 37? I am only aware of 64. Do you close out at the Cloud Hands posture or what?
    "Pain heals, chicks dig scars..Glory lasts forever"......