View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 379 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 279329369377378379380381389429479879 ... LastLast
Results 5,671 to 5,685 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

He was being sarcastic, KC. Doo Wai gets punked about as much as Sin The' online.

Yeah Baby!!

This is a quality performance. Sorry if someone already found it but I didn't go back through all 300+ pages of this thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnpaW5hXWDg
    "To know you don't know is best.
    Not to know you don't know is a flaw.
    Therefore, the Sage's not being flawed
    Stems from his recognizing a flaw as a flaw.
    Therefore, he is flawless."

cjurakpt Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    He was being sarcastic, KC. Doo Wai gets punked about as much as Sin The' online.
    we HAVE to get those two together...

Quote Originally Posted by tattooedmonk View Post
    If I am wrong then I am wrong , but I have no reason to doubt this person nor will I . I will find out if it is true or not and will admit that I am wrong if it is untrue. Until then I will continue to take this person's word for it.
    Of course there's no reason. They're receiving the same inaccurate information but since you won't remove the blinders, they are obviously correct.

Do not make assumptions about me , you do not know me, nor do you want to know me.
    Is that some kind of veiled attempt at intimidation?

As for contemt for GM Wong( Doc Fai Wong) give me a break.
    That right there speaks volume about you.

By the way , cool site.
    I'm sure they think so. It's layout & presentation is professional & clean. No doubts there.
    Message: Due to the ongoing Recession, God has decided the light at the end of the tunnel will be shut off due to power costs. That is all.

Quote Originally Posted by djcaldwell View Post
    WOW...
    Yeah that's one response.

Double Daggers - so as long as I hold two daggers at the same time and do absolutely nothing with them I too can have a shaolin double dagger form. Why the heck have I been trying to work them in both hands for all these years?
    Yeah pretty much

I do concede that is a 5 animal form. Perhaps it's not the traditional but - squirrels, bunnies, pigeons, kittens and salmon are animals none the less.
    Ouch

Drunken Style - oh I thought that was part of the 5 animals....let's not touch the spear vs. sword or I mean sword hacking at spear.

Message: Due to the ongoing Recession, God has decided the light at the end of the tunnel will be shut off due to power costs. That is all.

cjurakpt Guest
    Funny, It is actually a form Known as Tang Lang Chien or Chuan . I was told that it was a form that was created my GMT when he was young based on the things he was taught about mantis early on. Each of the strikes that he is doing in the form are to specific pressure points and not some epileptic fit or flailing. I have not seen it ( the form)done in any other system, however I have seen many of the techniques done in other mantis forms.
    it looks nothing like classical mantis, neither northern nor southern; if it is mantis, it's about the strangest conceptualization of it I've ever seen; I don't know what techniques from the clip in question are similar in any way to any established mantis style: so maybe we can post it over in the mantis forum and see what people who do mantis regularly have to say over there...

also, here's a poser: how exactly do you train strikes to "specific pressure points" by doing forms in the air? what are you aiming at? ever try to hit a pressure point on a moving, resisting opponent? also, aren't pressure points going to be located differently from one person to another (ever heard of anatomical variation?), and also won't they be spaced differently from each other depending on the person's size?
    Last edited by cjurakpt; 06-06-2007 at 08:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cjurakpt View Post
    also, here's a poser: how exactly do you train strikes to "specific pressure points" by doing forms in the air? what are you aiming at? aren't pressure points going to be located differently from one person to another (ever heard of anatomical variation?), and also won't they be spaced differently from each other depending on the person's size?
    I've always been spot on in my pressure point attacks - the wind doesn't dare blow uninvited in my backyard anymore.

Come on...we're talking about a group that swing spears wildly overhead at a single opponent that is maybe 2 feet away from them. They have to grasp spatial differntials before they can even begin to wrap their brain around anatomical variations.
    Last edited by djcaldwell; 06-06-2007 at 08:29 PM. Reason: I spelled something wrong

yes, I'd like to comment on that -

this "set" showed a total lack of any comprehension of how either weapon is supposed to be used; it lacked all but the most basic types of exchanges, and even those were poorly organized; the way the set was structured was that one person purely attacked and the other only defended for a number of moves, and then it reversed - this is the antithesis of how every other 2-person TCMA weapon set I've seen or learned works (I've seen one or two in my time); additionally, neither weapon was used properly in terms of the ranges and how each one handles the other when in their range of strength (e.g. - what do you do with a broadsword against a spear at long range to get into short range, and what does the spear player then do when fighting at short range)

I say nothing per se about the "skill" of the performers (which was pretty low), because some will no doubt say some schools and practitioners are beter than others, etc.; fine - I am talking about the content of the form purely on a technical level

some will argue against this based on the fact that I am not a high ranking SD blackbelt, that I am missing the "inner essence" of the forms, etc.

it's very simple: you can try to deflect the reality with all sort sorts of qualifiers, attacking the poster, etc.; bottom line is that, if you don't get why that set was totally lame, then you are beyond my personal powers of persuasion; I also can recommend another weapon set that you would no doubt find to be of very high level...
    http://www.tigerkungfu.com/videos/Emei.html
    Hey, I even admit that those videos on the CSC web site suck . I did in the past and I do now.

They are not the best representatives of the art.

I know all those forms and most of them are quite unrecognizable. Makes me sick. The forms themselves are purely CMA but it is hard to tell with the hacks butchering them.

And that tiger claw video ......PURE $H!T

This is a quality performance. Sorry if someone already found it but I didn't go back through all 300+ pages of this thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnpaW5hXWDg
    PURE $H!T!!!!

it looks nothing like classical mantis, neither northern nor southern; if it is mantis, it's about the strangest conceptualization of it I've ever seen; I don't know what techniques from the clip in question are similar in any way to any established mantis style: so maybe we can post it over in the mantis forum and see what people who do mantis regularly have to say over there...

also, here's a poser: how exactly do you train strikes to "specific pressure points" by doing forms in the air? what are you aiming at? ever try to hit a pressure point on a moving, resisting opponent? also, aren't pressure points going to be located differently from one person to another (ever heard of anatomical variation?), and also won't they be spaced differently from each other depending on the person's size?
    Maybe not but there are many points in the forms where it is . There are many styles of mantis some known and some not known . If you knew the form in question you would see the valid techniques through out.

And yes I have heard of anatomical variation . I study TCM as well as utilize pressure points in all aspects of my training.
    As for the pressure point striking in the air , that is just stupid . You still have to do the techniques while doing the form . The pressure point strikes are practice on partners and studied in depth in the system.
    Last edited by tattooedmonk; 06-06-2007 at 08:48 PM.

Maybe not but there are many points in the forms where it is . There are many styles of mantis some known and some not known . If you knew the form in question you would see the valid techniques through out.
    I'm going to asssume that was from one of those "not known" oh wait..."secretly taught" styles of mantis. cjurakpt is far better suited to continue that discussion if he wants. I only really know a couple of mantis players.

I'm going to asssume that was from one of those "not known" oh wait..."secretly taught" styles of mantis. cjurakpt is far better suited to continue that discussion if he wants. I only really know a couple of mantis players.
    you can assume anything you want. Grow up .

you can assume anything you want. Grow up .
    Grow up? Did I say nah nah nah or something? No, rather I pointed out inconsistencies and commented on performances and techniques that were clearly below par.

Your making statements about something which you are clearly unable to substantiate about a system that by its own former members statements (and more than one member) is misrepresenting itself.

Like I said earlier - if you're fulfilling your dream and are getting from it all that you need then there is no need to defend it. You have all you need, right? Yet, you persist in the discussion without providing anything to base your argument on other than the fact that you have a "reliable" source. So are you convincing us (not likely) or are you justifying it to yourself?

If you come to the table then be prepared. Otherwise, continue with your training and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    Had I only started so young.....
    ....then you'd have been the baddest kung fu mofo on the planet by now. Yea, I think a lot of us are wishing the same thing!

Ah well, can only make the best of it now and train hard in the present...

Cheers,
    -b

Grow up? Did I say nah nah nah or something? No, rather I pointed out inconsistencies and commented on performances and techniques that were clearly below par.

Your making statements about something which you are clearly unable to substantiate about a system that by its own former members statements (and more than one member) is misrepresenting itself.

Like I said earlier - if you're fulfilling your dream and are getting from it all that you need then there is no need to defend it. You have all you need, right? Yet, you persist in the discussion without providing anything to base your argument on other than the fact that you have a "reliable" source. So are you convincing us (not likely) or are you justifying it to yourself?

If you come to the table then be prepared. Otherwise, continue with your training and move on.
    Yeah, former students who know nothing about the art.
    (low level ) Save the other b.s for someone who gives a $h!T