View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 390 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 290340380388389390391392400440490890 ... LastLast
Results 5,836 to 5,850 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Quote Originally Posted by tattooedmonk View Post
    Yep ! Master Hiang taught one to the Soards . It is taught in the CSCs
    And he also taught them shi hou yi shou, stone monkey? and I will also guess eagle claw, ying jow na? I wonder if this is a reason why these forms aren't part of the "regular" testing curriculum, yet are taught at all the schools. (though it is only once every four years)
    is anything else from master Hiang?

On another note, I heard CSC released a new training manual, with the curriculum for 6th to 7th degree black. I was told the forms are mostly mantis system, all the ones from the festivals, and some two person sets. I wonder if this is similar to what master The graded the Soards with, or if they are just deciding it now that there are enough sixth blacks that want to know what to do next.
    "I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the flame of Anor. The dark fire will not avail you, flame of Udun! Go back to the shadow, you cannot pass!"

Well dang!! I thought for sure this thread would never reach pass 350pgs.

OK how bout 375pgs.?
    Master of Shaolin I-Ching Bu Ti, GunGoPow and I Hung Wei Lo styles.

I am seeking sparring partner. Any level. Looking for blondes or redhead. 5'2" to 5'9". Between 115-135 weight class. Females between 17-30 only need apply. Will extensively work on grappling.

Quote Originally Posted by xcakid View Post
    Well dang!! I thought for sure this thread would never reach pass 350pgs.

OK how bout 375pgs.?
    You don't think longterm xcakid, I'm focusing on the 1000 pgs. mark!
    We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit.
    - Aristotle

The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

on and on and on and on and on and on............................................
    BQ

I hate the fact that so many Shaolin-Do people are posting on a thread titled "Is Shaolin-Do for real?" How about starting a new thread with a better name that we can all share constructive thoughts and interesting stories. It won't keep out the Shaolin-Do bashers - but at least they would have to post on a thread called "Why I love Shaolin-Do" -or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Chain Whip View Post
    I hate the fact that so many Shaolin-Do people are posting on a thread titled "Is Shaolin-Do for real?" How about starting a new thread with a better name that we can all share constructive thoughts and interesting stories. It won't keep out the Shaolin-Do bashers - but at least they would have to post on a thread called "Why I love Shaolin-Do" -or something like that.
    I recommend putting it in the ORA forum.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    I recommend putting it in the ORA forum.
    You are the most awesomest person in the whole wide world! BTW, you never did answer my question. Who told you GM The claimed he could swim using only his pectoral muscles?
    - Aristotle

The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Lamassu View Post
    You are the most awesomest person in the whole wide world! BTW, you never did answer my question. Who told you GM The claimed he could swim using only his pectoral muscles?
    It is common knowledge he was tied up and thrown into a river, then swam back to shore using his "Golden Snake" skills.

You must not be very well-liked in SD if you haven't heard that one yet.

Not as mind-blowing as "melting the baby" or "Su-Kong killing the White Eyebrow assassin," mind you, but a good SD'er should know his history.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    It is common knowledge he was tied up and thrown into a river, then swam back to shore using his "Golden Snake" skills.
    Now I'm not familiar with Golden Snake, but it would seem GM The would need to use more than his pecs to swim like that. A snake uses it's entire vertebrae to swim, so maybe GM The was using his spine, back muscles, hips and legs all in conjunction with one another. Eh, it's all theory anyway, as I don't think GM The will feel compelled to satisfy the scepticism of cynics anyway.

You must not be very well-liked in SD if you haven't heard that one yet.
    I've heard of that story, but who cares? And people like me, or at least I think they do.

Not as mind-blowing as "melting the baby" or "Su-Kong killing the White Eyebrow assassin," mind you, but a good SD'er should know his history.
    You don't think submerging your hands in scalding hot sand for a couple of hours won't develop enough heat in them to melt a baby if you touch it soon after? It's okay to believe in sand burn training, because the high and mighty Bruce Lee had demonstrations of it in 'Enter the Dragon'.

One more thing, none of this is MY history, it's Shaolin Do's history and like all martial art schools in this country, it's based on nothing more than myth and legend. You should take it with a grain of salt and focus on the material being taught instead. I personally, don't really give a rat's @$$ if GM The, can or cannot swim while being tied up or if he can shoot lightning out of his arse. That's not why I signed up.
    - Aristotle

- Arthur C. Clarke

Now I'm not familiar with Golden Snake, but it would seem GM The would need to use more than his pecs to swim like that. A snake uses it's entire vertebrae to swim, so maybe GM The was using his spine, back muscles, hips and legs all in conjunction with one another.
    Nonsense. It was all pecs.

He does have some big @$$ pecs!

GM The's exact, word for word answer on Snake Training.

"Yes, I learned the Snake Form, which is the highest form in our art. The idea is that when you are attacked you do not block the blows with your hands or feet. You move and twist your body out of thw way, like a snake being attacked by an eagle. This leaves your hands and feet free free to counterattack. Master Ie would tie my hands and feet and throw me a lake or sometimes a river. I would have to swim by wriggling my body like a snake."

No mention of pec muscles at all. Swimming like this isn't easy, but probably any decent swimmer could do it in a short amount time.

On the sand burn story GM The' never said he melted a baby. He said his original teacher killed his own baby accidently. His exact words - referring to his teacher was: " .....And he picked it up...and he burned it with his hands...and it died."

You don't think longterm xcakid, I'm focusing on the 1000 pgs. mark!
    My apologies.
    Master of Shaolin I-Ching Bu Ti, GunGoPow and I Hung Wei Lo styles.

I am seeking sparring partner. Any level. Looking for blondes or redhead. 5'2" to 5'9". Between 115-135 weight class. Females between 17-30 only need apply. Will extensively work on grappling.

SD is fake!!

Chainwhip

"Hey Erasmus Mingatt - It appears that terminology, history and clothing mean much more to you than the body mechanics."

Whoever said ANYTHING about body mechanics? Before you put words in someone elses mouth..check your facts son!! I could care less if people showed up to practice in their underwear..but generally..yes..you can determine the legit styles from the "wanna be " ones..by seeing if they know what they are talking about in terms of the uniforms. Don't modify a Ford and call it a Chevy.

Quote:
    Chainwhip..NO STYLE has 900 forms!!
    "The "system" has many "styles" available - some styles have many forms, some have very few. There is supposed to be 900 forms of various styles within the system. Not that it matters to me whether it is 400 or 900 or whatever. It just means there is more to learn than I can possibly ever absorb."

Which is why the claim that Wolfman or Sing Kwang The or whoever is the current head honcho or the past head guy in the "system" learned all 900 or even 400 forms is just not possible. If you doubt me..try learning 900. If you started at birth..you'd be perhaps at the 200th by the time you were 80. If you doubt me--go to a school of an ACTUAL kung fu style(some include Wing Chun, CHoy Li Fut, Hung Ga, Jow Ga, Northern Shaolin and others) and tell them that Sin Kwang The, wolfman or anyone else affiliated with SD learned 900 forms. When they are done laughing then get back to me...You can call Shaolin-Do a system..you can call it an ice cream sundae..you can call it a lawnmower for all I care. There is a Shaolin Temple..that is a place..from the shaolin temple..came various styles. I suppose you could make the argument that if you group up and round up all of the styles that ever came out of Shaolin that this could be a system of sorts..but that is NOT the same thing that Shaolin IS a system. No..that is precisely the reason why separate styles evolved and generated..because you can't say you learned everything there is to know.

"Pretty naive thinking. In Shaolin-Do (Tao) the tradition is karate gis - the Georgia and Tennessee schools are being non-traditional within their own art by wearing frog buttons. It does seem that it doesn't change anyone's skill level either way."

You're a-s backwards my lad! Karate GIs are worm by Japanese styles. If you were to wear a karate GI 100 years ago or even 50 and walk into a kung fu school they would assume you are studying Katate, Judo or JiuJitsu. It doesn't affect anyones skill by what you wear..but what you wear is generally an indicator of what you are taught.

Quote:
    There are grandmastgers of styles..not temples. You are confusing the title grandmaster with that of the Head Abbott.
    I did?? Where did I say "Grandmaster of Temple...."

You don't have to say it. It's plain as day on the SD website.

"Should have been more clear for your benefit. When I said "he at one time saw the forms and practiced them for a short while" I should have said "he at one time LEARNED in PERSON from his sifu the forms and practiced them for a short while"

Being a sifu level instructor means you don't practice them for "a short while". You practice them for years and years and it takes a lifetime of practice to translate learning into application.

"Just saying he went there and visited with the Head Abbott and the wu-shu coaches. They were kind and respectful towards each other."

Again..what's your point? I don't get it!!! You are not going to see Taoist/Buddhist monks being impolite to anyone.

- "you obviously have not been to either temple."

I don't need to. Just read the history and development of Shaolin. Monks are pacifists.

"Again with spelling being so important............. The coaches at the Northern Temple would disagree with you. They comment that the SD material is clearly traditional CMA."

It IS important! DO IS a Japanese word. Someone on another thread made the comment that "Oh so you're saying that Bruce Lee was Japanese? He used "Do" in Jeet Kune Do". Where do people get this sh-t from? I never said he WAS Japanese..I said the WORD was Japanese..he borrowed the word. As for it being traditional CMA..I can learn bits and pieces of many different styles and call it anything I want.

"Why don't you fly over and go to the Quanzhou Temple and ask for those details?"

If you are so knowledgeable on SD..why don't you tell me?

"Take a picture of their weapon rack while you are there (the one with sai and tonfa on it)"

Whose weapon rack? go to Wikipedia and punch in "Tonfa"

Quote Originally Posted by Erasmus Mingatt View Post

It IS important! DO IS a Japanese word. Someone on another thread made the comment that "Oh so you're saying that Bruce Lee was Japanese? He used "Do" in Jeet Kune Do". Where do people get this sh-t from? I never said he WAS Japanese..I said the WORD was Japanese..he borrowed the word. As for it being traditional CMA..I can learn bits and pieces of many different styles and call it anything I want.
    I said that...in this thread. With all respect, "do" is an english spelling of "the way". How do you spell it in Japanese? With Kanji. How do you spell "the way" in Chinese? With Chinese characters. How do you romanize it? Depending on the dilect and the standardization (pinyin or wadegiles) dao, tao, typically, but the use of the romanization "do" means nothing in and of itself. SD also uses the romanization "chien" for fist instead of the more common "chuan" or "quan". It represents a particular romanizaiton of a particular dialect, but the meaning is the same. Why not call it "shaolin dao" or "shaolin tao" or even "si lum dao" I don't know, but I have never understood why the name should be offensive.

As for the gi statements, have you read the latest issue of KFM? Check out page 104. Are you going to call out these Danish kung fu practitioners as bull sh!t because they are wearing sashes with gis and practicing barefoot? Be consistent at least.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.