View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 40 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250901405401040 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

I always liked the "suspended break" at that site. I haven't tried it myself, but it looks impressive.

The candle thing is simple physics, but as GT pointed out, it's not as easy as it might look. Does it equal "fa jing" in the true sense of the term? I don't know; as least no one is saying he is shooting his chi.

And BM2, I may have more rank, but you have been around for a lot longer than me. I just didn't take as many years off as you before I started training again!
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Just a quick question. If it is indeed air that blows the flame out....how is it that one can blow out the SECOND candle in a line of three without blowing out the first? A subtle change in angle of attack, maybe? Because the air isn't going to go around the first candle and then strike the second.
    Steel sharpens on rock. Man sharpens on man.

Originally posted by Wharg0ul
    Just a quick question. If it is indeed air that blows the flame out....how is it that one can blow out the SECOND candle in a line of three without blowing out the first? A subtle change in angle of attack, maybe? Because the air isn't going to go around the first candle and then strike the second.

I have never seen that one done and I would have to see it first. I have seen it done with a jar over it . (they always seem to wait till the O2 runs out in the jar to shoot chi at it though...hmmmm)

And no JP, its not the mystical chi that does it unless you could call the focus and directing of energy (the snap) "chi". I have done meditation longer than some of you all have been alive and I haven't to date been able to point at someone and give them a "chi blast". (Not to say that it can't be done, just that I don't have personal experience with it).
    "Pain heals, chicks dig scars..Glory lasts forever"......

Putting candles out with punches means you're good at putting candles out with punches. Yeah, tricks like that take work and focus, but it doesn't necesarilly translate to martial arts ability. Same with breaking boards and bricks. I think time spent learning these tricks could probably be spent in much more effecient ways of improving martial arts skill.

Ok, I downloaded the clips... kind of cheap tricks if you ask me He uses an open palm making it much easier(imo) to put out the flame. No root or strong waist movement required(though he does dramatize his movements a bit). Just quick hands pushing air at the candle.

Too bad the forms clips aren't working.

They screwed up their email link too... It's allways a good idea to test your links when you put a website up

Originally posted by Brad
    Ok, I downloaded the clips... kind of cheap tricks if you ask me He uses an open palm making it much easier(imo) to put out the flame. No root or strong waist movement required(though he does dramatize his movements a bit). Just quick hands pushing air at the candle.

I beg to differ Brad on the "no root or strong waist" part. If you do the mechanics correctly, you will find that your waist is generating (or conveying) the motion from the legs to the palm.

Before you call it a cheap trick, I suggest you try it, video tape it and post it. Then, if you can still say it is nothing more than a trick and does nothing for power, focus or martial art skills, I will say that you have made an informed decision.

As for the open hand being much easier, open your mouth as wide as you can and try to blow out a candle.....larger diameter of air flow is not always better.

I have done candle punching; it's much easier with an open hand.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

I have no idea why this is the case, but I've done this. I lined up 3 candles and then put out candles 3, 2, then 1. It was very weird, and I have no idea why this happened. I'm a beginner with this type of stuff, so I wouldn't say that it was necessarily an advanced skill. Or maybe I just got lucky? Or has to do with the way you strike with a palm strike.

Hard to say what happened there lxtruong, you might just already have the "stuff". A good way to practice is to light incense or other smoke producing material and the practice the technique. That way, you can tell where the "shockwave" is going and how to correct the position to make it strike where you want it to.

Just an idea.....

Before you call it a cheap trick, I suggest you try it, video tape it and post it.
    Going to buy me a video camera?

Originally posted by lxtruong
    I have no idea why this is the case, but I've done this. I lined up 3 candles and then put out candles 3, 2, then 1. It was very weird, and I have no idea why this happened. I'm a beginner with this type of stuff, so I wouldn't say that it was necessarily an advanced skill. Or maybe I just got lucky? Or has to do with the way you strike with a palm strike.
    how much did your hand move. in the video he moves his hand about 1 foot, that's a lot of distance. i have seen clips that hand only moved about an inch from atleast 1 foot or more away. now if you can blow out a candle with your hand only moving about an inch, now that takes skills. i have only done it twice out of 100's and i don't know how i did it. if you asked to do it, i probably won't be able to do it to save my life. i was not impressed with the clip of master smith blowing out the candles.

BTW, I emailed the guy about most of the vids not working, and he said he's in the middle of switching servers...