View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 407 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 307357397405406407408409417457507907 ... LastLast
Results 6,091 to 6,105 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Yeah right, well the 1-30 are taught one at a time in theory they should be performed as 1 long form with fluidity and flow . The power emphasis at times changes the mechanics/ performance of the tech. I am still trying to figure this uploead thing out. KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !

KC, email it to me and i can reduce it using photo editing software I have.

goldentiger2112(at)yahoo.com
    "Pain heals, chicks dig scars..Glory lasts forever"......

URL=http://img243.imageshack.us/my.php?image=cam3984yz0.jpg][/URL]
    Is this right ?? KC let me know I will post another KC

Quote Originally Posted by NJM View Post
    I can't tell in the video, but are you stable enough in your stance that I could press hard on your lead hand and you wouldn't fall?
    A loaded question????
    I can assure you I am. I may not represent "forms" to your liking but I am very rooted in my stance and transitions. Strenght through structure is. Concept I pay close attention to because the next thing people say when they can't knock me over is it was because I am 6' 2" and 280 lbs ...
    They only way for you to really know would be to press hard on my lead hand and see if I fell ... Lol ...

Do you have a video of your self doing some pakua that might show the attributes you are looking for? I would like to see.

Best

Bruce
    best,

bruce

Happy indeed we live,
    friendly amidst the hostile.
    Amidst hostile men
    we dwell free from hatred.

http://youtube.com/profile?user=brucereiter

Fixed

Quote Originally Posted by shaolindoiscool View Post
    A loaded question????
    I can assure you I am. I may not represent "forms" to your liking but I am very rooted in my stance and transitions. Strenght through structure is. Concept I pay close attention to because the next thing people say when they can't knock me over is it was because I am 6' 2" and 280 lbs ...
    They only way for you to really know would be to press hard on my lead hand and see if I fell ... Lol ...

Do you have a video of your self doing some pakua that might show the attributes you are looking for? I would like to see.

Best

Bruce
    I assure you my question isn't loaded ,and I never said anything about you doing forms to my liking. It's hard to tell from a video whether or not the stance is correct, and the pressing on the lead hand has always been a way to test the stance's correctness, so I asked, assuming that your teacher had tested you that way at some point. Sheesh.

........................cat fight!

the first one is larger than the second, we'll see what we can see.

It looks like the lian in lian wu chang may be "linked" or "joined"

comparing the handwriting to the examples here...

http://www.mandarintools.com/cgi-bin...whole&audio=on

The symbol for "lotus" is very close to the symbol for "linked", and that would be a cool name for a form "five lotus palms" . I believe it is "linked five palms" or "connected five palms".
    Last edited by Leto; 07-08-2007 at 10:14 AM. Reason: change
    "I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the flame of Anor. The dark fire will not avail you, flame of Udun! Go back to the shadow, you cannot pass!"

Fixed

I assure you my question isn't loaded ,and I never said anything about you doing forms to my liking. It's hard to tell from a video whether or not the stance is correct, and the pressing on the lead hand has always been a way to test the stance's correctness, so I asked, assuming that your teacher had tested you that way at some point. Sheesh.
    Sorry about the way that reply sounded I am at lax a baggage claim waiting for my lost bag and I was cranky lol

:-)
    best,

bruce

Happy indeed we live,
    Amidst hostile men

Sorry about the way that reply sounded I am at lax a baggage claim waiting for my lost bag and I was cranky lol

:-)
    At your request, I did a video of me performing the Ba Gua circle and some basic transitions. Note the skill by which I execute the transitions, and how the hand position reflects how I control the imaginary opponent:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=L7p2h2Lgpqg

At your request, I did a video of me performing the Ba Gua circle and some basic transitions. Note the skill by which I execute the transitions, and how the hand position reflects how I control the imaginary opponent:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=L7p2h2Lgpqg
    how did you know rick astly is my favorite ... lol

what style of pakua do you practice?
    best,

bruce

Happy indeed we live,
    Amidst hostile men

LOL! And NJM can do the moves while singing too... that's talent!!

Bagualin, thanks for the book title and the generous invitation... I don't get down to KY very often, but if I'm in the area I will let you know! Which school do you teach at?

A few clips of Bagua for comparison...

Master Gary Grooms from SD doing some segments of SD's variation of Jiang Bagua. He may be doing the movements more slowly for demonstration purposes, but I have to admit I was more impressed with some of the other taiji video clips he has out there.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=OCJzD7ZSATM

Master Luo JinHua doing the same Jiang style. The music is cheesy, but I love the form...
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=icwEuTHsDKM
    I actually have this video... he breaks each part down into segments in the later parts, showing some of the fajing inherent in the form. Might look 'wushu'ish from the short video, but it looks like he's got a very good grasp on the principles and applications!

Another good resource for baguazhang on YouTube is BlackTaoist... do a search for him. He also does Jiang style bagua. An unorthodox teacher... but some of the demonstrations he has of the form and applications are extremely impressive...

how did you know rick astly is my favorite ... lol
    You've just been rickrolled!

what style of pakua do you practice?
    The style of Pakua Sun Jian Yun, daughter of Sun Lu Tang, taught to Sigung Kwong Wing Lam who in turn taught it to me, and my Sifu. I only know the basic circle and a few transitions, because bagua is not my specialization and Wing Lam has not been back to Washington in some time.
    Last edited by NJM; 07-08-2007 at 12:55 PM.

Was not too impressed by Grooms he did not seem to apply the basic principles even with the placing of the feet and why was he doing a wrist lock takedown already on the ground ? any students of M Grooms out there ? KC

Quote Originally Posted by kwaichang View Post
    Was not too impressed by Grooms he did not seem to apply the basic principles even with the placing of the feet and why was he doing a wrist lock takedown already on the ground ? any students of M Grooms out there ? KC
    Agreed.

The bat falls to the ground (P'ien Luo Hu Ti ) (wrist lock, take down)is done on the way down into the cross legged stance, as I remember it, not once you are in it.

I know Master Grooms is quite knowledgeable in the arts( in general ), however, I heard recently that he got the idea in his head that he was the foremost authority on internal in SD.

We all know who has that position.
    I noticed that you did not refer to him as Master Grooms . Just curious as to why that is!?!

Just a slip though i would expect more of a televised/computerized demo BY A Senior Master. I feel there is too much liberty with form. KC