View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 432 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 332382422430431432433434442482532932 ... LastLast
Results 6,466 to 6,480 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Sean, I could kick you for using that video set for examples when I know you've seen better form exampes of SD with your own eyes, but, then again, they are the only ones putting themselves out there, so there you go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Gene, please merge this with the "Is SD for Real Thread." We can contain all comments of SD there.
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolinlueb View Post
    i heard through the grapevine the monks actually fell asleep and were laughing at parts of Sin the's shaolin do presentation at the temple.
    Yeah, I heard that. I also heard that many of the older people were impressed that we were doing kung fu the "old way". Since neither of us were there, I put no stock in either comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Pen View Post
    Sean, I could kick you for using that video set for examples when I know you've seen better form exampes of SD with your own eyes, but, then again, they are the only ones putting themselves out there, so there you go.

Oh I know... fire away , but that's not what I was using them for as indicative performances, but as representative of the topic at hand.

Besides... you kick about as well as I do... I'll move my ankles before you get there. :P
    Last edited by sean_stonehart; 08-10-2007 at 01:57 PM. Reason: needed to add a taunt
    Message: Due to the ongoing Recession, God has decided the light at the end of the tunnel will be shut off due to power costs. That is all.

Quote Originally Posted by shaolindoiscool View Post
    look up the translations of jiangs rong qiao's books he authored around 1930 +- a bit.
    the classical pakua one is great stuff for any sd student

in the preface of one of his hsing i books he speaks about going to the nanjing goshu institute, as well as several other place in china when he learned and taught martial arts. one of the interesting places jiang rong qiao claims to have gone was the shaolin temple. this was before 1930 since that is when the preface letter was dated.

if anyone knows more about this please add to the conversation.

is jiang lying about going to shaolin temple?

could jiang have taught anyone "original" form while he was at the "shaolin temple"?

how do you know what he may or may not have done and who he may or may not have taught.

jiangs "original" form is/was very popular i think a lot of people have learned it and practice it.

yes it is. and i think that may have been how some of our material came to the system. it would be nice to confirm though ...

best,

bruce
    Sure Jiang could've gone to Shaolin pre-1930, but considering the legends say Ie had already learned/was learning from Su Kong in the mountains of Fukien & Su Kong died in 1928 (year Shaolin was destroyed) ... doesn't it make you go "huh" just a little????
    Message: Due to the ongoing Recession, God has decided the light at the end of the tunnel will be shut off due to power costs. That is all.

Quote Originally Posted by sean_stonehart View Post
    Sure Jiang could've gone to Shaolin pre-1930, but considering the legends say Ie had already learned/was learning from Su Kong in the mountains of Fukien & Su Kong died in 1928 (year Shaolin was destroyed) ... doesn't it make you go "huh" just a little????
    please do not confuse what i said. i do not know from who, how or when "original" pakua was introduced to our system.

i was responding to someone saying something was impossible with an example of how it could be possible.

sure there are plenty of things that make me go "huh" ...

i for the most part will only "argue" about the content/application of the system (internal side) and not about the history and claims i hear from all sides.

best,

bruce
    best,

bruce

Happy indeed we live,
    friendly amidst the hostile.
    Amidst hostile men
    we dwell free from hatred.

http://youtube.com/profile?user=brucereiter

please do not confuse what i said. i do not know from who, how or when "original" pakua was introduced to our system.
    No confusion. I wasn't implying or meaning to imply you'd said that.

i was responding to someone saying something was impossible with an example of how it could be possible.
    Possible doesn't always include probable

sure there are plenty of things that make me go "huh" ...
    Glad to see I'm not the only one who suffers from that

i for the most part will only "argue" about the content/application of the system (internal side) and not about the history and claims i hear from all sides.

best,

bruce

Cool but there's points to question for applications based on history & introduction of material without content & debately history to accompany it. Not saying "something" can't be done out of "X" movement, but without proper background & training, can it be reliable as that or is something greater missing?

Anyways if you're back in town, stay out of the heat...

Angry

Thank you, Sean, for posting a link that made me want to dig my eyes out with a rusty spoon...

Cool but there's points to question for applications based on history & introduction of material without content & debately history to accompany it. Not saying "something" can't be done out of "X" movement, but without proper background & training, can it be reliable as that or is something greater missing?
    in a way i agree ...

Anyways if you're back in town, stay out of the heat...
    i am in chicago now pretty good weather here but we just came up from texas, wow! it was hot and humid.
    best,

bruce

Happy indeed we live,
    friendly amidst the hostile.
    Amidst hostile men
    we dwell free from hatred.

http://youtube.com/profile?user=brucereiter

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Baqualin View Post
    What some people refuse to realize is GMS is not the new kid on the block...he has been teaching here since the 60's...we have been to Indonesia & seen where he trained, met some of his colleagues...and saw how they were honored by his presence.....once again this has also been beat to death. BW it wouldn't matter anyway....anyone who is in the public eye like GMS will be attacked...that's part of the terr.
    BQ
    Being that this would be a big deal for any SD student, did anyone by chance take any pictures? I for one would love to see the school and these colleagues
    But how come these colleagues are never mentioned by name, these are people he attended the school with and also got some taichi 24 from, but he never mentions their names. Just curious.

Blog Entries
    Wow, that's some real classy monks that would laugh at the people who come across the ocean to see them. Their not even monks. Their just wushu people who pretend to be monks to bring money to the government.

Quote Originally Posted by arinathos.valin View Post
    Thank you, Sean, for posting a link that made me want to dig my eyes out with a rusty spoon...
    We do what we can...

Quote Originally Posted by bodhi warrior View Post
    Wow, that's some real classy monks that would laugh at the people who come across the ocean to see them. Their not even monks. Their just wushu people who pretend to be monks to bring money to the government.
    1. Gee, what a shock, you're a Shaolin Doh! guy

2. Well, if they are "just wushu people who pretend to be monks to bring money to the government" then a bunch of fake monks putting up a stone tablet for Sin The doesn't mean much does it?
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by bodhi warrior
    Being that this would be a big deal for any SD student, did anyone by chance take any pictures? I for one would love to see the school and these colleagues
    But how come these colleagues are never mentioned by name, these are people he attended the school with and also got some taichi 24 from, but he never mentions their names. Just curious.

Actually, there are some pictures. I forget who took them and on which trip (it was a few years ago remember) but which ever trip it was, they stopped in Bandung and spent some time as Master Sin's parents house. They met up with some fellow that was a colleague and I want to say his nickname was something eagle or something to that effect. Older looking fellow, and the one that was holding the notes I think. Heck, it was a longgg time ago.

Anyway, I will ask around and see if I can find the pictures.
    "Pain heals, chicks dig scars..Glory lasts forever"......

Blog Entries
    thanks, that would be great!