View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 44 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654941445441044 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Originally posted by sean_stonehart

And as far as stances... you know my outlook on that now!!! No knee probs after 5 years of wearing braces!!! Gotta say something...
    Well my knee problem was a freak and not related to stances; however, you are older than me!
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

I've seen the little river clips. In fact, I think I pointed JP there a couple of years ago.

You're welcome in Oklahoma anytime. If you're nice, I'll even let you touch my DeathStar playset.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

I think you're right MK. Do you know of any other clips? I'd love to see them.

I keep planning to go to the Taiji Legacy, but other trips keep getting in the way. Last year it was Stanford for business. This year its Hawaii for fun!
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Originally posted by Judge Pen
    I think you're right MK. Do you know of any other clips? I'd love to see them.
    Those are the only one's I've seen. I was actually looking for Flower (Hua) fist sets when I stumbled across Little River.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

however, you are older than me!

B*A*S*T*A*R*D* .....
    Message: Due to the ongoing Recession, God has decided the light at the end of the tunnel will be shut off due to power costs. That is all.

If it makes you feel any better Sean, I waay older than you. But then again I have waay more hair, better looking umm...sorry I was just trying to make you feel better
    VOTE FOR PEDRO '08

Ever notice how virtually everyone agrees that 95% of all traditional schools are crap, but NOBODY ever admits to being in that 5%? Don't judge... your skill may suck also...
    Quote from SevenStar

Just call me the Shaolin Do Wet Blanket. Gene Ching

Found another example of Hua Mountain Fist:

http://www.chinahand.com/News/photo_gallery.htm

It's the same as what I'm being taught.

I thought your hua wasn't like THE northern hua.. this looks like the standard northern hua. Or at least what I understand it to look like, very similar to zha, and northern shaolin long fist. The clips of hua I've seen from you guys doesn't usually look anything like this.
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

Found another example of Hua Mountain Fist:

http://www.chinahand.com/News/photo_gallery.htm

It's the same as what I'm being taught.
    I hope you do it better than that guy. He sucks as bad as me.

It's a nice long-fist form though.

Originally posted by norther practitioner
    I thought your hua wasn't like THE northern hua.. this looks like the standard northern hua. Or at least what I understand it to look like, very similar to zha, and northern shaolin long fist. The clips of hua I've seen from you guys doesn't usually look anything like this.
    Well, don't ask me about history . The only hua clips from SD that I've seen on the net were out of Atlanta and they were or Hua #2 (I beleive). Our hua # 1 and # 2 start out the same. This form is Hua # 3. I haven't learned it yet, but it's the favorite of one of my teachers, so I see it often.

And MK, I'm not one to criticize one too bad (he reportedly took first at that tournement with that form). The guy's low stance is better than mine, but, as Sean said, we are taught to do these forms more athletically/dynamically. I feel like I've run a mile sprint after finishing one of these forms.
    Last edited by Judge Pen; 01-26-2005 at 12:37 PM.

And MK, I'm not one to criticize one too bad (he reportedly took first at that tournement with that form). The guy's low stance is better than mine, but, as Sean said, we are tught to do these forms more athletically/dynamically.
    Yeah, my low stance is worse than his, but my balance and power is much better. At any rate, he stumbled like 4 times. His competition must have blown.

ANYHOO....

NP,
    That form looks similar to this Hua 2 on the Atlanta SD site.

http://www.shaolincenter.com/video/a...sh_noaudio.avi

Except the SD chick is very choppy and more Karate-esque. She has no flow.

And to quote Parrapa the Rappa. "In the rain or in the snow. I've got the funky flow. So now, I've really got to go."

I feel like I've run a mile sprint after finishing one of these forms.
    That's long fist, for you.

Originally posted by norther practitioner

That is the exact form that we do. It is either the 3rd or 4th book (road). Wow, that is the first time I have seen another school doing the same form. Wonder where they picked it up?

Yes, the low stances were nice but I have to agree that his form was pretty bad.

NP, as stated before...a lot of "our" clips are not very good representations.

I have tons of demos on tape if I knew how to convert them....any help? I have a web cam with a RCA plug that lets me run my camcorder to the comp. Is that connection fast enough or do i need a firewire card?
    "Pain heals, chicks dig scars..Glory lasts forever"......

Originally posted by Golden Tiger
    I have tons of demos on tape if I knew how to convert them....any help? I have a web cam with a RCA plug that lets me run my camcorder to the comp. Is that connection fast enough or do i need a firewire card?
    If it is USB 2.0, it will work but you'll probably drop some frames here and there. Firewire is best.

I'm not sure how you'd hook an RCA plug into the computer? Do you have video In/Out ports or something?

GT, PM sent.

No, i have an intel pro cam that has a RCA video port on it. It is then connected by USB 1 (too old for 2.0).

I might go ahead and get a fire wire card. they are pretty cheap these days.
    "Pain heals, chicks dig scars..Glory lasts forever"......