View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 445 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 345395435443444445446447455495545945 ... LastLast
Results 6,661 to 6,675 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

HAPPY BIRTHDAY KC
    BQ

Quote Originally Posted by shaolindoiscool View Post
    hi bhodi, mas and the rest ...

here are a few pictures from that time that were given to me.

The photo is in front of Master Ie's home. Master Sin is in the middle with Master Ie's adopted son and family. sr master grooms on the far right of the photo, Master David Theroff is the guy ****hest to the left. earlier that day they visited Master Sin's parents and his brother Sang's (hiang) home.

demo/banquet that was done in Master Sin's honor.

copy of the ticket to the demo/banquet that was done in Master Sin's honor.

best,

bruce
    What baloney. Come on....you just photoshopped a bunch of asians and white guys in front of the Norcross school. Didn't you know Shaolin-Do is fake and GM Ie Chang Ming didn't exist?

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    Didn't you know Shaolin-Do is fake and GM Ie Chang Ming didn't exist?
    I know Ie existed. I've seen the pics of him training White Earp's teacher.

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Pen View Post
    I hate to say it, but I agree, here. I'm tired of all the SD threads (even though I can't help but to read and post in them).
    I coould not help myself! Like Bq These guys are giving FREE advertising.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Well. first of all, what makes a "shaolin system" one?
    Goood question . Thanks for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by Baqualin View Post
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY KC
    BQ
    Ditto, KC

Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Baqualin View Post
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY KC
    BQ
    It is KC'S birthday?? HAPPY BIRTHDAY KC!!

Quote Originally Posted by tattooedmonk View Post
    Goood question . Thanks for your help.
    Anytime.

All kiding aside, you said
    What makes this system , that obviously has Shaolin styles taught in it, not considered " Shaolin"??
    So I ask YOU, what "obviously shaolin styles" are you refering too ?

Anytime.

All kiding aside, you said
    So I ask YOU, what "obviously shaolin styles" are you refering too ?
    how about just looking at the lists from a school and you tell me . The list is quite lengthy.

Quote Originally Posted by tattooedmonk View Post
    how about just looking at the lists from a school and you tell me . The list is quite lengthy.
    Well, if we are going by that logic, any system that has some remote "shaolin" style in their repetoire can be called a shaolin system.

Case in point, Okinawan Goju.

Well, if we are going by that logic, any system that has some remote "shaolin" style in their repetoire can be called a shaolin system.

Case in point, Okinawan Goju.
    Exactly! I believe that Shaolin is more of an idea , a philosophy, and way of life than a set of buildings , forms , clothing , rituals,etc.
    Yeah sure it may have been all these things at one time, but we all know that story,.

Adam Hsu once wrote that he traveled all throughout China looking for a general definition of Shaolin. He went to many Shaolin schools, and only seemed to find variations of Longfist. The schools he went to that claimed to be Shaolin and didn't teach Longfist generally could not provide him an answer, b/c they were variants of other kung fu styles. He concluded that the majority of chinese kung fu in general predated Shaolin, and many secret societies during the Qing dynasty revamped the Shaolin name, only because they needed a kind of mascot to create a brotherhood for overthrowing the Manchus.

If a Chinese guy couldn't define Shaolin in China, I don't think we're gonna make much progress on a California based webboard.

Here's a question for the old-timers. If GGM Ie adapted his Central Shaolin school to accommodate Japanese cosmetics in order to throw off anti-Chinese sentiment in Indonesia, why is it that we have sifus and not senseis? At any time, were any Shaolin-Do teachers called sensei?

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Pen View Post
    Yep, I've said this many times. In fact, when I went to my first SD class, 18 years ago, it was advertised as karate, but the teacher told us in the first lesson that the origins of the forms were Chinese, that they were taught to him by Sin The' who learned them in Indonesia from his teacher who immagrated from China to Indonesia. The reason it was called "karate" is that it was the generic term for asian martial arts that everyone knows best. Heck, most people I know back in Southwestern Virginia call all martial arts, BJJ, TKD etc. "karoty"
    Exactly. Karate has been a general term used to describe MA for a very long time. Karate after Gechin Funokoshi got a hold of it just meant "empty hand" But originally meant "China hand."

Karoty , LMAO!! that is just to funny. You Kill me JP.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    Here's a question for the old-timers. If GGM Ie adapted his Central Shaolin school to accommodate Japanese cosmetics in order to throw off anti-Chinese sentiment in Indonesia, why is it that we have sifus and not senseis? At any time, were any Shaolin-Do teachers called sensei?
    I have heard people refer to their schools a dojos and their teachers sensei in the early years but as more information became available that people started to adopt the chinese terminology instead.I think i have seen it on a few of the websites as well.

I believe it was not until recent years that back east( in some circles) they started calling it KUNG FU.

I also know that on the west coast ,for the most part, just use english terminology.

I know it is mostly just refered to as SHAOLIN DO , THE WAY OF SHAOLIN , because it is more than just martialarts ad it really does not matter if you call it Karate or kung fu.

KUNG FU DOES NOT MEAN CHINESE MARTIAL ARTS.