View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 449 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 349399439447448449450451459499549949 ... LastLast
Results 6,721 to 6,735 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Quote Originally Posted by Lamassu View Post
    Why does it bother you guys so much?

If you don't like Shaolin Do, then the best thing for you to do is avoid it and not talk about it. Let it go. Now I know the same old tired response: "But they make all these claims about being the most comprehensive martial art blah blah blah, and it's my duty to p!$$ and moan for the sake of Shaolin even though I have no ties to it whatsoever except maybe that I'm learning Longfist or something!"

If you're learning the "real" Shaolin and we aren't, then why do you care? To "warn" others about the "evil" Grandmaster Sin The? How noble of you, tell me, do you wear a cape to work? You're so righteous, I must say we're all very impressed down here.

Those of us that practice Shaolin Do are on these forums so we can communicate with one another as well as with the martial art community in general. I've noticed when a SDer posts something, it's usually a technical question about a form or application or query about the lineage. Unfortunately, it's that last part that brings about the peanut gallery ready to insult, mock and jeer. Don't you losers have anything better to do? Go practice your "superior" martial art and let us continue with our topic uninterrupted.

I really don't give a rats @$$ what anybody here thinks about Shaolin Do, that's not why I joined. All I'll say though is if you can't talk to an SDer here without antagonizing us about our martial art (that no one here can change, improve or destroy anyway), then apparently your martial art isn't all that either if it's students can show any civility, it's probably worse cr@p than Shaolin Do could ever be.

I know neither myself nor many others hear have claimed to do this for the "sake of Shaolin" nor have I ever claimed shaolin lineage. What I did comment on and not complained about - was that their claims of direct ties to the Shaolin temple were nonsense.

Based solely on any performance I've seen to date of Shaolin Do - which I know you and the rest will say is of course poor representations. But when the schools themselves are posting their demos and what not - you can't tell me that it's a poor representation - why would they post their worst students and/or demos?

With that, from what I've seen it's KENPO which by no means a Chinese Martial Art. Here is an section of a read on Kenpo / Kempo:
    90 years ago Kenpo was so well known as an effective fighting art in Japan that many Japanese styles that had no connection with Kenpo claimed their art was derived from Kenpo. Some even went so far as to claim their masters had training directly under Chinese Kenpo masters. Similar claims have continued to this day, even though there has never been a Chinese Kenpo master; nor has there been a master of the Chinese style that gave rise to Kenpo in centuries. What's even more ridiculous are the Korean schools that claim to teach Kenpo as part of Tai Kwon Do. This Chinese Kenpo is not to be confused with the styles developed by Kenpo students who went on to train with Bruce Lee and created their own systems of Chinese Kenpo.
    There is no argument that what you guys do was "influenced" by CMA but it is not CMA. That is where I have a problem - just say what you are doing and don't mislead people. I know several people who made up their own fighitng system and they say just that without trying to lay claim to BS.

If you believe it great. If it works for you great. No one is going to change your minds. But don't expect that people who have done CMA for most of their lives are going to look at this and say it is a Cat when we all know it's a Dog.
    "To know you don't know is best.
    Not to know you don't know is a flaw.
    Therefore, the Sage's not being flawed
    Stems from his recognizing a flaw as a flaw.
    Therefore, he is flawless."

Quote Originally Posted by SaintSage View Post

Where's knifefighter when you need him...

It has nothing to do with your art, that's just a silly response. That's not how the body works.
    How quick to pull the trigger...KC is my friend and was only teasing.....he knows he can't hit hard enough to KO me
    BQ

Quote Originally Posted by djcaldwell View Post
    say it is a Cat when we all know it's a Dog.
    Instead of we all know, didn't you mean....we know all
    BQ

Do any of you non-Shaolin Do-kas have a cirriculum that approaches the varied content of Shaolin-Do?

Yes, it is called Song Shan Shaolin, the martial arts of the Shaolin Temple. As taught by Monks with direct lineages to Shaolin Temple.

If not (which is pretty much given), I think we can stick with legitimacy claims. If Shaolin-Do makes one valid claim, it's in that it teaches more variety and forms than any other system.

We also have a variety of forms and arts that we teach. Take your pick external, internal, qi gong. What can be said is that at 900 and some forms you teach more forms than anybody.

Quote Originally Posted by sha0lin1 View Post
    Do any of you non-Shaolin Do-kas have a cirriculum that approaches the varied content of Shaolin-Do?

Yes, it is called Song Shan Shaolin, the martial arts of the Shaolin Temple. As taught by Monks with direct lineages to Shaolin Temple.

If not (which is pretty much given), I think we can stick with legitimacy claims. If Shaolin-Do makes one valid claim, it's in that it teaches more variety and forms than any other system.

We also have a variety of forms and arts that we teach. Take your pick external, internal, qi gong. What can be said is that at 900 and some forms you teach more forms than anybody.
    Dude, I was being a smartass..........just leave it at that....

Do you really want to get into it with anyone on this board of any Chinese martial art concerning the legitimacy and authenticity of Songshan's current wushu cirriculum? If you do, here's my level 16 Fire Dragon shield forged in the furnace of Mt. Etna's fiery depths, encrusted with the flame-retardant scales of a red dragon........you're going to need it, my young padawan.
    Last edited by Shaolin Wookie; 08-19-2007 at 08:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by djcaldwell View Post
    I know neither myself nor many others hear have claimed to do this for the "sake of Shaolin" nor have I ever claimed shaolin lineage. What I did comment on and not complained about - was that their claims of direct ties to the Shaolin temple were nonsense.
    Again, why do you care? What does it matter to you personally if Shaolin Do claims to have direct lineage to Shaolin or not?

There is no argument that what you guys do was "influenced" by CMA but it is not CMA. That is where I have a problem - just say what you are doing and don't mislead people. I know several people who made up their own fighitng system and they say just that without trying to lay claim to BS.
    I've heard this tired excuse for b!tch!ng too, but no one can site specifics how it's not CMA. The burden of proof is on the dectractors because being someone who just came off the street and signed up to Shaolin Do (like most people interested in martial arts) I and others would say it is CMA. I've taken karate before when I was younger and trust me, Shaolin Do is NOT karate or any other japanese martial art, kenpo or otherwise. BTW, I'm not a teacher or master or in any other way tied with SD, I'm just a student and I don't think it's BS or misleading in any way.

If you believe it great. If it works for you great. No one is going to change your minds. But don't expect that people who have done CMA for most of their lives are going to look at this and say it is a Cat when we all know it's a Dog.
    And why would I want you to? I get this everpresent feeling that most people here joined their respective CMA, JUST SO THEY CAN TALK SMACK ON THIS FORUM! I know your asinine opinion about Shaolin Do as I do many others here, so why do you feel the need to give it every time an SDer tries to strike up a conversation with fellow SDers about a topic that you and so many others have no business in?

Ssssshhhhhhhhhh... let it go... yes, I know... Shaolin Do is bad... it's bad... just calm down and lets move on to more important topics... it's okay...it's okay...
    We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit.
    - Aristotle

The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Again, why do you care? What does it matter to you personally if Shaolin Do claims to have direct lineage to Shaolin or not?
    I agree. Why are people here so sensitive to this? Do they feel like they're being misrepresented by Shaolin-Do when they're not even Shaolin-Do? Nobody seems to take issue with Shorin-Ryu--which, having been in some classes--I know is not at all like SD. Shao-lin Do is not Songshan Shaolin. Honestly, Songshan Shaolin isn't even Songshan Shaolin, LOL. Is it because GM Sin says he is Grandmaster of Shaolin? Well, he named the art Shaolin-Do. I really don't think he thinks it's anything but Shaolin-Do, or else he'd have named it Shaolin, without the Do.

I've taken karate before when I was younger and trust me, Shaolin Do is NOT karate or any other japanese martial art, kenpo or otherwise.
    Same here. The closest thing is our ippon training, but those are done waaaay differently, and the stance, striking (crane slaps, especially), and footwork is the marking difference as a chinese thing. I know it's cheezy, but I always get this image in my head of the Indonesian school practicing their Shaolin stuff, then some local Chinese-hater or cop walks in, and everyone switches over and does some ippon work until he leaves (the insistence in karate [especially shorin-ryu] of stopping short of striking during sparring/ippons is really not consistent at all with SD training). They're not even ippons in the Shotokan/Shorin-ryu way. It's like a Chinese guys best approximation of a chinese technique that looks like an ippon technique. But they're really good for teaching students how to get the most out of their forms.

I get this everpresent feeling that most people here joined their respective CMA, JUST SO THEY CAN TALK SMACK ON THIS FORUM!
    True. It's like people wanted to join this eclectic tea-drinking club of Chinese martial arts, and are ****ed off they let the black guy in.

Ssssshhhhhhhhhh... let it go... yes, I know... Shaolin Do is bad... it's bad... just calm down and lets move on to more important topics... it's okay...it's okay...
    I get this image of Dana Carvey as George Bush, sr.

Does anyone know the background story behind Sin The's great great great grandfather, and the death of a shaolin abbot?

Watchin' this lecture he gave at M. Schaefer's school, and he mentioned this occurence twice. I can't tell whether he's talking about his ancestors as in his cultural heritage, or his actual family.
    Last edited by Shaolin Wookie; 08-19-2007 at 01:10 PM.

...being someone who just came off the street and signed up to Shaolin Do (like most people interested in martial arts) I and others would say it is CMA.
    Now with this statement - how is it that you and others with little or NO exposure to CMA feel able to attest to the validity of SD versus others who have spend 1/2 their lives or more practicing CMA? It just doesn't make sense. That in itself is what's ridiculous.

I've taken karate before when I was younger and trust me, Shaolin Do is NOT karate or any other japanese martial art, kenpo or otherwise. BTW, I'm not a teacher or master or in any other way tied with SD, I'm just a student and I don't think it's BS or misleading in any way.
    I too took Karate when I was young. My brother in law is a Kenpo instructor, my nephew studies Kenpo. My cousin taught Karate for years. My younger cousin is was a TKD national champ. So when I tell you SD looks more like Kenpo - trust me it does. So to say it's misleading to claim CMA relation or "shaolin" lineage could not be more on point.

I get this everpresent feeling that most people here joined their respective CMA, JUST SO THEY CAN TALK SMACK ON THIS FORUM!
    Way back on that Commodor 64 which then upgraded to a glorified word processor with all the abundant internet access I had. I was dreaming of accessing the KFM forum someday. You've uncovered the secret!

I know your asinine opinion about Shaolin Do as I do many others here, so why do you feel the need to give it every time an SDer tries to strike up a conversation with fellow SDers about a topic that you and so many others have no business in?
    Problem is you're on a public KUNG FU FORUM - so topics pertaining to oh, KF and CMA are pretty much we all have an interest or "business" in it.

For the record, it IS annoying when you spend 1/2 your life training in CMA you take it pretty seriously and enjoy what you do. Then comes along a group of people who say they do the same thing you do (i.e. CMA not they specific style) and it is NOTHING LIKE WHAT YOU DO. It's embarrassing to watch and yet you know that this to many people is being promoted as Chinese Martial Arts.

As you said yourself, for many it is their only exposure to what they think is CMA and it bothers me to know that this is what many people think CMA is. Recently, I was judging at a tourney which was great, but I watched demonstrations by a so called CMA school. It was horrific. However, it was this areas only exposure to any kind of CMA. Their Lion Dancing would have been insulting to anyone who does Lion Dancing (I don't and I knew it was all wrong). Their demos and performances were just nonsense and had little to no martial application and were basically dancing on stage in frog button clothes.

Another Sifu and myself then decided that we could not leave there with that being the only representation of CMA so we both did imprompt to demos of what real CMA was. Nothing crazy, just quick forms and just so that people could see what real CMA looked like. So yes, it does bother me and a great many others obviously and if I have the opportunity to show what real CMA is about then I take it.

For the record the other instructors of all different styles loved the demos and after the tourney we discussed the whole thing very nicely over dinner.
    "To know you don't know is best.
    Not to know you don't know is a flaw.
    Therefore, the Sage's not being flawed
    Stems from his recognizing a flaw as a flaw.
    Therefore, he is flawless."

Why does it bother you guys so much?
    I agree that people take this issue way too personally- but dude, have you even READ half of what goes on on this forum? Read any MMA vs. TMA thread (which is what most of the posts on the forum end up becoming.) and you'll see disputes that get WAY less civil and more personal than this one.

I think what kinda raises most peoples' dander about SD/CSC/Whatevertheheck is the few extremeists who shame most SD'ers by posting the most insipid garbage about chinese martial arts on SD and CSC webpages.

First there's the "SD looks different than other forms of Chinese martial arts because it's not a bunch of flowery performance crap- we use our forms for FIGHTING. Also everything everyone else is doing is all PRC-sponsored wushu. Even the stuff from masters who fled the cultural revolution. Really."

There's also it's cousin argument "The monks at the Shaolin Temple today ONLY do Modern Wushu. That's all they do. Yep." Which requires a belief in the Time Traveling Modern Wushu Conspiracy Or they believe that San Da + Traditional Longfist + Modern Wushu = only Modern Wushu.

Then there's the inbred mentally-challenged brother argument (I call him Cletus) "Those so-called 'Kung Fu Uniforms' you all wear are just a bunch of movie knock offs. Gis are more authentic, because they look sorta like the robes used by Buddhist Monks." This ignores the existance of the Chin Woo association which used that very "movie-based" uniform as its standard of clothing. Also, the only way a Gi would EVER look anything remotely like a Buddhist Monk's robe is if someone was commissioned to make a Monk's robe without ever seeing a monk's robe in their lives. And they would have to be color blind. Then again, anyone on either side of the debate who is that preoccupied with MA fashion is beyond help anyway.

But then, there are even a lot of SD'ers who reject these ideas, so at least we know it's the fringe. Or at least I hope so.
    "Prepare your mind..." "For a mind explosion!"
    -The Human Giant, Illusionators

Yes, I understand the discrepencies of Shaolin Do, I noticed all that has been brought up time and time again when I first entered the kwoon. And if you get rock hard over everything Chinese than more power to you, but NO SDer posting here is in any kind of position to make changes to the martial art, if we even wanted to. At least TWS wrote a letter to GM The with his questions (allegedly), and I respect him for taking it to the source. We're just a bunch of guys who practice our kung fu (yeah yeah I called SD kung fu) who enjoy what we do and want to talk about it over this forum. How many more threads does Gene have to merge into this one before you guys realize all the p!ss!ing and moaning doesn't accomplish a d@mn thing?
    We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit.
    - Aristotle

The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

I Believe!

I have no gripe with Shaolin Do per se. However, the name "Shaolin" carries with it a certain amount of clout in the martial arts world, which makes me suspicious of anyone using the name that can't convincingly demonstrate its lineage all the way back to the Shaolin Temple. If it can stand on its own as an art, it shouldn't need to use the name of another [reputable] art to boost its reputation. If it is in fact derived from Shaolin, I would think that the burden of proof would be on the ones making that claim (and charging money for lessons). If you can't prove it to those who choose not to believe it, then there is really no more point in trying to convince them.

Conversely, while I sympathize with people questioning the lineage of a martial art that they are considering investing time, effort, and money to learn, there is no point in trying to convince people who have already made up their mind about its authenticity. It's like trying to argue with a believer in any religion over a point of faith. Beyond presenting the facts available (or lack thereof), there is no point in trying to convince believers otherwise if they have already made up their minds. Insulting them over their beliefs usually only strengthens their faith.

I realize that this applies to my belief in the authenticity of the Shaolin Kung Fu training that I received (and paid for in time, effort, and money), and to my belief in the authenticity of Muay Thai which I am training in now. Having traveled to the places of origin of both of those arts, I am satisfied with my belief in their heritage. I could be wrong, though.

Why??

Why has Kung Fu Magazine published SD articles if there is no connection to Shaolin or CMA??

Quote Originally Posted by tattooedmonk View Post
    Why has Kung Fu Magazine published SD articles if there is no connection to Shaolin or CMA??
    Maybe because Shaolin-Do claims a lineage back to the Shaolin Temple, and KFM does not make it their mission to invistigate the authenticity of the claims of various martial arts' lineages?

Besides, Kung Fu Magazine publishes many articles about martial arts that have no connection to Shaolin. Tai Chi Chuan, for example, originated from Wudang Shan, and they publish many articles about Tai Chi Chuan. I think the only issue with Shaolin-Do is its claim to a lineage going back to the Shaolin Temple. I don't think it is disputed that its founders were Chinese.

I'm not getting in the middle of the debate over the authenticity of Shaolin-Do's lineage -- I don't care one way or the other. But if you're going to argue about it, let's stick to facts in our arguments. You are, however, free to believe whatever you want (facts or no facts). Nobody can take that away from you, and if you are certain in your beliefs, then it shouldn't matter what others think.

Wink Ok

" the Shaolin Temple. I don't think it is disputed that its founders were Chinese."
    SD does not say this.
    "But if you're going to argue about it, let's stick to facts in our arguments. "
    I agree to this. SD cites the origins to 6 not 1 Shaolin Temple. One of which was in Wu Dang See the art is Shaolin Do or the Way of Shaolin. SD does trace its origin to these temples. So as you say believe what you want but get your facts straight. Those who comment on here do not have all the facts. Also SD is said to be more like the arts as they were practiced way back when not that Wu Shu is not real CMA just with different emphasis. BTW I am not commenting on what has been written here , just what Masters and GMT has said. KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !