View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 45 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 35434445464755951455451045 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Originally posted by Golden Tiger
    No, i have an intel pro cam that has a RCA video port on it. It is then connected by USB 1 (too old for 2.0).

I might go ahead and get a fire wire card. they are pretty cheap these days.
    USB 1 would not be good.

I got a firewire card off amazon for like $25 a year or two ago. The firewire cables are expensive, though. They usually don't come with the card.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

I have a question for SD guys. i have noticed that some SD schools have changed there uniforms, now is this OKd by GM the or they just changed it on their own and how is affecting the relationship with GM the.

That is the exact form that we do. It is either the 3rd or 4th book (road).
    3rd Road...

Wow, that is the first time I have seen another school doing the same form.
    Ummm...
    Yang Taiji 64 == Cheng Man Ching's 37 ...
    Chen 83 == Chen Fa ke's Xin Jia Lao Jia ....
    Bagua == Jiang Rong Qiao's Mother Palm Set ...
    Combined Form == Taiji 24...
    Yang Mantis == Bung Bo ...
    Tiger Crane == Hung Ga 4 Pillar Set ...

for examples ...

Wonder where they picked it up?
    or vice versa...

I have tons of demos on tape if I knew how to convert them....any help? I have a web cam with a RCA plug that lets me run my camcorder to the comp. Is that connection fast enough or do i need a firewire card?
    Firewire... definately firewire. If your camcorder is new enough, it should have a firewire jack on it. Buy a combo firewire/USB 2 card for your computer & have at it. With decent editing software & firewire, you should maintain almost 100% of your video frames.
    Last edited by sean_stonehart; 01-26-2005 at 01:07 PM.
    Message: Due to the ongoing Recession, God has decided the light at the end of the tunnel will be shut off due to power costs. That is all.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by sean_stonehart
    3rd Road...

Ummm...
    Yang Taiji 64 == Cheng Man Ching's 37 ...
    Chen 83 == Chen Fa ke's Xin Jia Lao Jia ....
    Bagua == Jiang Rong Qiao's Mother Palm Set ...
    Combined Form == Taiji 24...
    Yang Mantis == Bung Bo ...
    Tiger Crane == Hung Ga 4 Pillar Set ...

Interesting. As for the vise versa, you never know I guess. I do know that the list above is quiet varried and one would think that you would have to visit many places to see it or even learn it. And that would take a lot of time. And a lot of this stuff was first taught in the early 70's and 80's. And he didn't travel a lot back then. hmmmm.....
    "Pain heals, chicks dig scars..Glory lasts forever"......

Originally posted by Jhapa
    I have a question for SD guys. i have noticed that some SD schools have changed there uniforms, now is this OKd by GM the or they just changed it on their own and how is affecting the relationship with GM the.

Life is good...... Diversity is the spice of life. nuff said
    "Pain heals, chicks dig scars..Glory lasts forever"......

Originally posted by Jhapa
    Master Garry Mullins changed his uniforms about 4 years ago with Master Sin's permission. It apparently hasn't affected the relationship. . . . he still comes to our schools, gives tests and seminars, and he recently promoted Master Garry Mullins to 8th degree. Yeah, I think we are still in good with Grand Master The'.

And a lot of this stuff was first taught in the early 70's and 80's. And he didn't travel a lot back then. hmmmm.....
    I have to take your word for it there, GT. I didn't start training until 1989.

Life is good...... Diversity is the spice of life. nuff said
    I agree 100%.
    Last edited by Judge Pen; 01-26-2005 at 01:26 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

JP i am also a 3rd my teacher trained with yours alot in lexington and speeks very highly of him. I have seen him perform many times and was never let down. the uniform issue,well, i think there were more problems between the masters over that one than any with master sin. (you know egos are always an issue in anything that humans do) i wear a gi, its what i was taught?? what you wear looks great and i am sure feels great. hay we could all switch to flanal shirts and hiphop pants (but it would be hard to kick with your pants around your knees ha ha ha ) my only thing with uniforms is it kind of devids us, and i would like to see all the masters get past that and share more with each other. I know that your group and atlanta and master nance work really well together. i would love to see more of that!!
    i talk with master nance every so often i he said that if i visited one of these schools that it would be ok to wear my gi. i feel i should wear a frogbutton uniform what is your opinion?
    ...or is there something i have missed a glimpse of phantoms in the mist. Traveling down a dusty road bent forward with this heavy load..

Originally posted by shen ku
    JP i am also a 3rd my teacher trained with yours alot in lexington and speeks very highly of him. I have seen him perform many times and was never let down. the uniform issue,well, i think there were more problems between the masters over that one than any with master sin. (you know egos are always an issue in anything that humans do) i wear a gi, its what i was taught?? what you wear looks great and i am sure feels great. hay we could all switch to flanal shirts and hiphop pants (but it would be hard to kick with your pants around your knees ha ha ha ) my only thing with uniforms is it kind of devids us, and i would like to see all the masters get past that and share more with each other. I know that your group and atlanta and master nance work really well together. i would love to see more of that!!
    i talk with master nance every so often i he said that if i visited one of these schools that it would be ok to wear my gi. i feel i should wear a frogbutton uniform what is your opinion?
    Yeah, Master Nance is cool. I enjoyed his KAT seminar in May.

As for the uniforms, just check with the teacher. If I'm visiting a school that wears a gi, I'll dig out my old gi. When in Rome. . . , but you shouldn't have to buy a new top if you don't already have one.

And they are comfortable. . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

i took master nance's kat seminar at his school last july and i enjoyed it (i got to play around with him one on one alot ) i disagreed with him on a few things and he was like "thats great, your thinking for yourself" . me and him became joking buddies when he had to pull back in a bus window in tabit ( i was sick ) . so i feel pretty good talking with him ,
    i have a few frogbutton uniforms just was not forsure if the ones you wear where different than normal?
    ...or is there something i have missed a glimpse of phantoms in the mist. Traveling down a dusty road bent forward with this heavy load..

Originally posted by shen ku
    i me and him became joking buddies when he had to pull back in a bus window in tabit ( i was sick ) .
    Chris??
    Message: Due to the ongoing Recession, God has decided the light at the end of the tunnel will be shut off due to power costs. That is all.

Interesting. As for the vise versa, you never know I guess. I do know that the list above is quiet varried and one would think that you would have to visit many places to see it or even learn it. And that would take a lot of time. And a lot of this stuff was first taught in the early 70's and 80's. And he didn't travel a lot back then. hmmmm.....
    A lot of this stuff has been in book form(or film) for quite awhile, just not available in English. When did you start with him, and when did you first witness people learning this stuff(or start learning it yourself)?

About uniforms...

For those of you SDers who are tired of the karate gis, check out http://www.jonieuniforms.com/ for some really kick @ss training uniforms. My friends can do all their tricks(jump kicks into splits, etc.) in those things, no problem, but they still have the "traditional" look. Super comfy just wearing around the house too.

I'm a little tired of talking about forms... so lets talk about basics. How does basic training work in your Shaolin-Do school? Do you guys have seperate sets of basic training for different styles?

thanx for the link, Brad.

I HATE wearing a Gi. Did I stress that enough?? H.A.T.E. wearing a Gi.
    Steel sharpens on rock. Man sharpens on man.

hay sean_stonehart, OK your good with names and so you were on the 2001 china trip , any tip on how i would know you ? did you demo and what did you do if you did?