View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 456 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 356406446454455456457458466506556956 ... LastLast
Results 6,826 to 6,840 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Pen View Post
    I've met masters of CMA (outside of SD) that are not chinese. If its a cultural thing then it isn't a martial thing (although there may be some overlap).
    maybe they were testing you...to see if you knew. you not being there students, its not there job to correct you. that would be rude. i appreciate your courtesy tho. however the kung fu and the culture is intertwined, so they do go hand in hand.

so

I guess you have not heard about the reason theses things are not taught in our school?? Like I said before ,and with the mentality of some of the people in this group I will have to say again, SD went to Indonesia and adopted different traditions. All of the Chinese outward appearences were removed from the system while it was there.

What part of this is hard to understand??

Secret hand shakes?? You have got to be kidding me.

The alter prayers, lion dances, and such?? This maybe important in certain schools, but I have been to a lot of CMA schools and not all of them have one or practice these cultural rituals. Mostly because of religious beliefs. They are part of the culture not the martial practices.They have only been married to these practices for a short time.

Quote Originally Posted by jit fu View Post
    maybe they were testing you...to see if you knew. you not being there students, its not there job to correct you. that would be rude. i appreciate your courtesy tho. however the kung fu and the culture is intertwined, so they do go hand in hand.
    BS. I know a few Chinese people and they make it their business to correct you on many thngs that you are doing incorrect.Things that you might think are just trivial and non-intrinsic

Quote Originally Posted by sean_stonehart View Post
    I hate posting like this but it's the easiest way to make sure I answer your questions... sorry about the posting style...

No problem!

No worries it is what it is based on what I saw, experienced, read in a book & still see on websites ... so what'd I miss??

PM me your email & I'll send you the complete Internal curriculum...not a secret just to many letters to fit here

For a minute or two...

Not without a helluva commute time...

See above

I've seen students & seniors students from Lexington

We have weekend warriors here too.....their very healthy though

Where? When is it taught? Day one?

starting with day one in the internal classes

Most what?
    Forms & Weapons...applications & chi kung are taught across the board and before you say it....yes each system has it's own chi kung and app.s

Again, where?
    Starting with day one in the internal classes...unless I'm misunderstanding you.

Oh no not at all. It was SD's attempt at teaching forms from styles it has no concept of a proper training regimine in
    EML & EMS have really good concepts in training
    ... unless teachers went elsewhere to pick up pointers & methods lacking in the existing curriculum or being held back until reaching a "master" level.
    All of the internal at one time was 1st Black belt material and up....alot wasn't taught until you got into the upper ranks...that is one thing that has changed with the internal program...at least here. If I haven't answered your questions....hit me back more specifically.
    BQ
    Last edited by Baqualin; 08-21-2007 at 01:59 PM.

i'll write this reaaaallll slow for you. chan heung had 3 teachers, he took what he had learned and combined what he thought was the best that the 3 offered. codified it into 1 comprehensive system with him (chan heung) being the founder. he created the system from the knowledge pool he had . ergo, everything done in clf is clf. he didn't take li yau san's system and teach 2-3 forms from it, nor did he take a form from chan yuen woo and teach it, he created his own and gave it the ging, stances, hands accross the board, ie he codified it so it could be constantly refined. he however didnt create clf then decide to buddy with his contemporaries and add a few forms from there systems to make his system grow more.clf teaches clf forms, clf techniques, clf history, clf internal, clf chi gung. it didnt need any other outside input.
    Although known as a Southern style, Choy Li Fut has its origins in both Northern and Southern China. Since the system's founder had three teachers, two from the South and one from the North, Chan Heung decided to combine the teachings of all three masters into one system. Thus, Choy Li Fut is one of the few kung-fu styles that contains techniques from both Northern and Southern Chinese martial arts.

No outside input?

i'll write this reaaaallll slow for you. chan heung had 3 teachers, he took what he had learned and combined what he thought was the best that the 3 offered. codified it into 1 comprehensive system with him (chan heung) being the founder. he created the system from the knowledge pool he had . ergo, everything done in clf is clf. he didn't take li yau san's system and teach 2-3 forms from it, nor did he take a form from chan yuen woo and teach it, he created his own and gave it the ging, stances, hands accross the board, ie he codified it so it could be constantly refined. he however didnt create clf then decide to buddy with his contemporaries and add a few forms from there systems to make his system grow more.clf teaches clf forms, clf techniques, clf history, clf internal, clf chi gung. it didnt need any other outside input.
    Chan Heung was shocked when Choy Fok pointed to a large rock weighing about eighty pounds, and told him to kick it twelve feet. Bracing himself, the student exerted all of his strength as his foot crashed against the rock, sending it barely twelve feet away. Instead of giving the expected compliment, Choy Fok placed his foot under the heavy rock and effortlessly propelled it through the air. Chan Heung was awestruck by this demonstration of superpower.

No legends here
    Must believe all

Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post
    Not sure if I know how to use the quote feature right because I don't post much. Hope I didn't screw that up.

Baqualin, I was wondering what the SD foundation training (as mentioned above) is for Baguazhang. I'm not involved in the big argument here, I was just curious.

Shane
    Stepping drills, breathing & meditation, Actually learning and applying the 64 rules of classical Baqua, chi kung, coiling exercises, baqua sparring techniques, strength training, applications, fai jing training, blk sash & up iron bone training (optional), Baqua push hands ( 2man set), post training
    BQ

Quote Originally Posted by Baqualin View Post
    BINGO.....THREE SYSTEMS into one complete system......soup....all same family....northern & southern

Also claimed as a traditional Shaolin Martial Art

Stepping drills, breathing & meditation, Actually learning and applying the 64 rules of classical Baqua, chi kung, coiling exercises, baqua sparring techniques, strength training, applications, fai jing training, blk sash & up iron bone training (optional), Baqua push hands ( 2man set), post training
    BQ

Although known as a Southern style, Choy Li Fut has its origins in both Northern and Southern China. Since the system's founder had three teachers, two from the South and one from the North, Chan Heung decided to combine the teachings of all three masters into one system. Thus, Choy Li Fut is one of the few kung-fu styles that contains techniques from both Northern and Southern Chinese martial arts.

No outside input?

pages left . At this rate we could do it by the starting of next week!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tattooedmonk View Post
    I guess you have not heard about the reason theses things are not taught in our school?? Like I said before ,and with the mentality of some of the people in this group I will have to say again, SD went to Indonesia and adopted different traditions. All of the Chinese outward appearences were removed from the system while it was there.

What part of this is hard to understand??

Secret hand shakes?? You have got to be kidding me.

The alter prayers, lion dances, and such?? This maybe important in certain schools, but I have been to a lot of CMA schools and not all of them have one or practice these cultural rituals. Mostly because of religious beliefs. They are part of the culture not the martial practices.They have only been married to these practices for a short time.
    really, very interesting. that's why there's a "t" in front of tcma. no secret handshake, only proper ettiquete. your school is indonesian, what would you know of a tcma school and there practices?

Quote Originally Posted by tattooedmonk View Post
    BS. I know a few Chinese people and they make it their business to correct you on many thngs that you are doing incorrect.Things that you might think are just trivial and non-intrinsic
    really, good you know a few chinese people, would they happen to be sifu's? been in the chinese community much? weekend trips to chinatown don't count.

No outside input?
    are you dense? after chan heung created clf from his 3 systems he had learned, that was it. no more. he didn't add tam tui, hua, look boon dim gwun ect. thats the point. he created his sysytem and taught it. he did not add forms from other styles after he created his finished product.

are you dense? after chan heung created clf from his 3 systems he had learned, that was it. no more. he didn't add tam tui, hua, look boon dim gwun ect. thats the point. he created his sysytem and taught it. he did not add forms from other styles after he created his finished product.
    http://flyingeagleacademy.com/clfhist.html
    We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit.
    - Aristotle

The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible.
    - Arthur C. Clarke