View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 457 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 357407447455456457458459467507557957 ... LastLast
Results 6,841 to 6,855 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Quote Originally Posted by jit fu View Post
    really, very interesting. that's why there's a "t" in front of tcma. no secret handshake, only proper ettiquete. your school is indonesian, what would you know of a tcma school and there practices?
    No , you made it sound like it was some secret hand shake. Do you know what tradition or traditional actually means??? These are modern traditions that you speak of and really have nothing to do with the arts.

really, good you know a few chinese people, would they happen to be sifu's? been in the chinese community much? weekend trips to chinatown don't count.
    Yes, yes.

just like you train under a clf teacher last 6 months...right?

are you dense? after chan heung created clf from his 3 systems he had learned, that was it. no more. he didn't add tam tui, hua, look boon dim gwun ect. thats the point. he created his sysytem and taught it. he did not add forms from other styles after he created his finished product.
    WHAT DOES THIS HAVE TO DO WITH ANYTHING? Other people after him have though. I do not think you know very well the actual history of the Shaolin Temples. CLF is A HYBRID SYSTEM and not purely northern or southern And actually where it was created is not actually in the South.

hang on, i'll be right back i just popped a stitch from laughing too hard

Quote Originally Posted by tattooedmonk View Post
    WHAT DOES THIS HAVE TO DO WITH ANYTHING? Other people after him have though. I do not think you know very well the actual history of the Shaolin Temples. CLF is A HYBRID SYSTEM and not purely northern or southern And actually where it was created is not actually in the South.
    please show proof...who added what form from another system to clf?

Quote Originally Posted by DPL View Post
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by lkfmdc

Heaven, Man, Earth 3-Gate Open SHUT Method
    4-Gates theory/method
    6-Gates theory/method
    3 Harmonies
    6 Harmonies
    Chain/repeating
    14 Bridges
    ADHERING Bridge(s)
    DESTROYING Bridge(s)
    MERIDIAN footwork
    7-Star footwork
    Bagua footwork
    Kick, Punch, Wrestle, Seize
    ----------------------------------------------------
    I've been busy at work and this got sort of lost with all the merging, etc. recently, but I'd like to dive into this a bit more.

The original question was what is absolutely essential to study for something to be considered a true Chinese Martial art and above was the answer.

My question now to both SD'ers and non-SD'ers - do you study any or all of these? If not, which ones do you not do?
    Answers, please.
    Meanwhile, I'll be looking for God in this box of Cheerios - Crushing Fist

post 6184

please show proof...who added what form from another system to clf?
    It appears that Sean's school teaches both CLF and Tai Ji Quan.

are you dense? after chan heung created clf from his 3 systems he had learned, that was it. no more. he didn't add tam tui, hua, look boon dim gwun ect. thats the point. he created his sysytem and taught it. he did not add forms from other styles after he created his finished product.
    He created it from 3 systems which means it's a buffet...the flavor of each original system is not the same it's a blend...just like most CMA...and it's full of legends just like most CMA......maybe not to the extent of SD but still a buffet.....Baqua is a buffet...and on and on and on....... Chan Heung might not of been Hairy, but he must of had some big b@lls to kick a 80# boulder 12 feet
    I'm not cutting down CLF ( from what I've seen it's pretty cool) or comparing your traditions & legends to SD's (2 different animals) the only point is....look how you react when we attack your system & put you under a microscope...it helped since you were a little snobby to start...I'm not Chinese and will never be Chinese or live in China or China town...so I will continue to Bow to Masters and shake their hand Kentucky style and will bet you they, will enjoy meeting me just as much as you....maybe better since according to our critics, they like to laugh at us
    Last edited by Baqualin; 08-21-2007 at 04:10 PM.

Hey TTM..He's only talking about his school

Quote Originally Posted by DPL View Post
    Answers, please.
    6 harmonies
    8 methods
    Baqua foot work

Yeah it does... CLF and TJQ are taught side by side, not in addition to the either.

Kinda like... when I want a beer and a shot, I get both, not a boilermaker. Make sense?

Taught side by side... not one to compliment or enhance the other.

Personally I don't like TJQ. I prefer the CLF internal sets and mechanics... it's much more to my liking & disposition... plus it's all CLF, nothing borrowed, nothing shaved off of something else.
    Message: Due to the ongoing Recession, God has decided the light at the end of the tunnel will be shut off due to power costs. That is all.

Quote Originally Posted by Baqualin View Post
    He created it from 3 systems which means it's a buffet...the flavor of each original system is not the same it's a blend...just like most CMA...and it's full of legends just like most CMA......maybe not to the extent of SD but still a buffet.....Baqua is a buffet...and on and on and on....... Chan Heung might not of been Hairy, but he must of had some big b@lls to kick a 80# boulder 12 feet
    I'm not cutting down CLF ( from what I've seen it's pretty cool) or comparing your traditions & legends to SD's (2 different animals) the only point is....look how you react when we attack your system & put you under a microscope...it helped since you were a little snobby to start...I'm not Chinese and will never be Chinese or live in China or China town...so I will continue to Bow to Masters and shake their hand Kentucky style and will bet you they, will enjoy meeting me just as much as you....maybe better since according to our critics, they like to laugh at us
    you havent put anyone under a microscope, your answer is typical of people who don't know the answers, not that i know them all, but am open to learning instead of writing it off without really researching it. im not being snobby, just honest.

you havent put anyone under a microscope, your answer is typical of people who don't know the answers , not that i know them all,

DITTO

but am open to learning instead of writing it off without really researching it.

[B]But you have done just that regarding SD

im not being snobby, just honest.
    Me Too
    Last edited by Baqualin; 08-21-2007 at 08:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Baqualin View Post
    Yeah but BQ... the difference is Chan Heung never did what SD has. He didn't take 3 different teachings, change the outward appearance & loose lots of the mechanics & say he had the original.

He took 3 the teachings of 3 different people & created something new by combining them and exploring the possibilities of them as one cohesive piece. He named it after them to honor their teachings & as his teachers, proclaim them as his teacher, but what he taught was created by him from their teachings. Not renamed or glossed over.

Many many many CMAs were done like that.

SD hasn't done that to any degree. Instead, SD has laid claim to many things as their own through some dubious & questionable lineage claims. There are examples that could be named, but there's no reason to rehash.

If it were put out "Oh yeah, I learned "X" from "Y" in 19xx" by ST, there'd be no issue. He would be doing exactly what many CMA teachers have done, borrowed, learned, bought, cajoled, etc... sets from other systems. Instead, by laying out the claims that have been thoroughly discussed... there's an air of dishonesty & mediocrity surrounding the basic CMA skills and training, lack of CMA culture taught and learned, by people in SD.

You've got my email addy waiting in PM... please feel free to drop a note.
    Message: Due to the ongoing Recession, God has decided the light at the end of the tunnel will be shut off due to power costs. That is all.