View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 466 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 366416456464465466467468476516566966 ... LastLast
Results 6,976 to 6,990 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    Spine coiling is really an internal principle. You don't hear about it too much in specialized external styles.

It's sometimes referred to as the Six Harmonies--shoulders, hips, and knees (sometimes also defined as hand, torso, and foot) all work together and counter-balance one another.
    He never called them the 6 harmonies. He just talked about coordinating the body to be more harmonious. Once you learn to do that, you can do it in just about every art. The move-by-move teaching method of SD is more reminiscent of karate, in a way. Sometimes the fluidity suffers because of it. The "never raise the heel" principle and how to shift weight over the knee, and when to do it---they get glossed over. I can see, when I'm learning, where those ideas need to be stressed, and probably were at one point....but tend to get glossed over nowadays.

Not by all, but by many.
    Last edited by Shaolin Wookie; 08-25-2007 at 09:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    Exactly. That's why he went the route of saying the guy was stealing "trade secrets". It wasn't malicious. He just wanted the same respect he felt was wanting. That you shouldn't teach without your teacher's permission. If it was malicious, he would have pressed to get teh guy in jail.
    This is not accurate.

BTW, the guy in the case now teaches some kind of karate, and no SD material.
    This is not accurate, either.

This is not accurate.

You have the scoop? I never like hearing just one side of the story. If you've got links, I will listen.

Quote Originally Posted by Royal Dragon View Post
    So I can understand. He eventually worked something out with the ex-student on the side once he had effectively won the case (initially, he was going to lose, but then cited "trade secrets" as a legal infraction, and sealed the case), and settled it without legal repercussions (jailtime on the defendant's part). This led to the standardization of what SD and CSC teach from brown-belt on down, and led to a copyright on the material by GM Sin, so nobody else would feel empowered to teach without his approval.

Reply]
    You cannot copywrite movement I think it's BS.
    It was not the movements it was the material within the curriculum and how the curriculum is structured I believe.

This is not accurate.

I believe this came about because of a seminar issue where said instructor wanted Master Sin to come and teach the new material to his students exclusively and when things got stirred up ,said instructor decided that he and his school would not be coming to the seminar and broke away from the system , afterwards he started making videos and modified the certificate , or something along these lines. Is this the story??
    Last edited by tattooedmonk; 08-25-2007 at 11:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    He never called them the 6 harmonies. He just talked about coordinating the body to be more harmonious. Once you learn to do that, you can do it in just about every art. The move-by-move teaching method of SD is more reminiscent of karate, in a way. Sometimes the fluidity suffers because of it. The "never raise the heel" principle and how to shift weight over the knee, and when to do it---they get glossed over. I can see, when I'm learning, where those ideas need to be stressed, and probably were at one point....but tend to get glossed over nowadays.

Not by all, but by many.
    I believe terms like 6 harmonies and such were developed in more recent years as the standardization of cma so that common principles could be passed on easier. I have had on a few occasions to be discusing certain concepts andprinciples with Masters Sin, he refered to the actual movements and principles but did not use the same terminology.

74 and counting

LMAO

Quote Originally Posted by tattooedmonk View Post
    I believe terms like 6 harmonies and such were developed in more recent years as the standardization of cma so that common principles could be passed on easier. I have had on a few occasions to be discusing certain concepts andprinciples with Masters Sin, he refered to the actual movements and principles but did not use the same terminology.
    Yeah, it's never quite as standard as most people make it out to believe. They'll usually say something, and I'm a bit confused. I ask "what does that mean?" they explain it. I say, "Oh...you mean this or that. Yeah, we just dont call it that, but it's the same thing."

Same stuff, different teachers, different wordings.

No biggie.

Quote Originally Posted by tattooedmonk View Post
    I believe terms like 6 harmonies and such were developed in more recent years as the standardization of cma so that common principles could be passed on easier.
    This is not accurate. Possibly the use became more common or became associated with other styles or principles, but neither the concept nor the term is 'modern.'

I have had on a few occasions to be discusing certain concepts andprinciples with Masters Sin, he refered to the actual movements and principles but did not use the same terminology.
    Just because your teacher never used the term does not mean it did not exist.

Yeah, it's never quite as standard as most people make it out to believe. They'll usually say something, and I'm a bit confused. I ask "what does that mean?" they explain it. I say, "Oh...you mean this or that. Yeah, we just dont call it that, but it's the same thing."
    Right. People use all kinds of terms. Not using certain ones is not an indicator of lack of knowledge or skill.

Take "know-it-all" for instance.

Or maybe, I don't know, "Asshat."

What about "Douche?"

or

"Rookie."

"Wet-behind-the-ears."

"Greenhorn."

But you got the idea.

just in the interest of making this 500 pages
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Can somebody explain to me how something that sounds like a civil case would have jail time associated with it?

I swear the SD world seems more and more removed from reality...
    www.kungnation.com

Pre-order Kung! Twisted Barbarian Felony from your favorite comic shop!

Exactly. That's why he went the route of saying the guy was stealing "trade secrets". It wasn't malicious. He just wanted the same respect he felt was wanting. That you shouldn't teach without your teacher's permission. If it was malicious, he would have pressed to get teh guy in jail.

Reply]
    Rediculous, and totally devoid of reality. Once you learn something, it is yours. You cannot copywrite, or trade mark physical movements, and if you teach them to someone you have no control or say so in how they use them, or teach them.
    Even if your student teaches the same exact curriculem you do, there is not a darn legal thing you can do about it.

The only thing he might have a case with would be if the student was falsly issuing certificates of accomplishment for YOUR school and organisation, instead of his own. For example, like say someone were to be mis representing himself as being part of Chin woo, and issuing certificates in Chin Woo's name, but in reality had nothing to do with Chin Woo what so ever, let alone be in a position in the org to issue certs. Chin Woo could probably bring and win a law suit against them.

Now, if said fradulant individual were teaching the exact Chin Woo curriculem, and even stated it was such, but didn't act like a certificate issuing authorty, or acting as if he was a legit rep of Chin Woo, when he isn't, that would be perfectly fine and no one could touch him.

BTW, the guy in the case now teaches some kind of karate, and no SD material. Sounds to me like he lost

Reply]
    Or found something legit to teach.....
    Last edited by Royal Dragon; 08-25-2007 at 03:29 PM.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Royal Dragon View Post
    So I can understand. He eventually worked something out with the ex-student on the side once he had effectively won the case (initially, he was going to lose, but then cited "trade secrets" as a legal infraction, and sealed the case), and settled it without legal repercussions (jailtime on the defendant's part). This led to the standardization of what SD and CSC teach from brown-belt on down, and led to a copyright on the material by GM Sin, so nobody else would feel empowered to teach without his approval.

Reply]
    You cannot copywrite movement I think it's BS.
    My understanding was the ex-student won the case. The judge said you cannot copywrite movement.