View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 487 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 387437477485486487488489497537587987 ... LastLast
Results 7,291 to 7,305 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

[QUOTE=Judge Pen; Frankly I'm shocked and appalled [/QUOTE]

I recall an English teacher requesting the class to never use appalled in any letter to the Editor. He said that it seems everyone is "appalled."
    VOTE FOR PEDRO '08

Ever notice how virtually everyone agrees that 95% of all traditional schools are crap, but NOBODY ever admits to being in that 5%? Don't judge... your skill may suck also...
    Quote from SevenStar

Just call me the Shaolin Do Wet Blanket. Gene Ching

Quote Originally Posted by BM2 View Post
    I recall an English teacher requesting the class to never use appalled in any letter to the Editor. He said that it seems everyone is "appalled."
    Well I'm appalled that you would challenge my use of the word "appalled". I demand that you, sir, cease and desist.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Quote Originally Posted by bodhi warrior View Post
    I learned these forms back in '84, man 23 yrs ago! whoa. Anyway there was an ad in IKF magazine that sin the' put out about some week long seminars he was holding for anyone to come and learn. When he listed the shaolin bird forms he followed them with original in parenthesis. I ask my instructor about it and he said they were created by GMS to add some material to the brown belt level. This was also in '84. It's just what I was told, why he would create new forms when he had 900 to choose from, I don't know.
    They were first taught (to my knowledge) to a handful of BB's in 79 or so as a gift from GMS....they were not part of curriculum at that time.....original in parenthesis means it came directly from the temple......GMS didn't make them up.
    BQ
    Last edited by Baqualin; 09-13-2007 at 09:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Baqualin View Post
    They were first taught (to my knowledge) to a handful of BB's in 79 or so as a gift from GMS....they were not part of curriculum at that time.....original in parenthesis means it came directly from the temple......GMS didn't make them up.
    BQ

Were you part of the '79 group?
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Blog Entries
    BQ
    The way my instructor explained it to me, the term "original" was used in the same context as "original Pakuachang".

Quote Originally Posted by BM2 View Post
    I am not going to take the time to check, BUT, I am fairly certain that M. Hiang lists those on his site. Given that they are sperated from each other's schools, it really doesn't make sense that M. Hiang would require his students to learn those Bird forms if his brother made them up.
    I was just going to post this , thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Pen View Post
    I'll talk to my instructor too. I believe that I was told that they were among the oldest forms we have so there is apparently some mis-communication and/or inconsistencly in the history.

Frankly I'm shocked and appalled that there would be these issues with our history! Maybe I should quit!
    So I guess "Original" in this sense would mean these are some of the oldest forms taught within Shaolin Do.

BQ

Blog Entries
    BQ
    I'm not trying to be a smart a@# when I ask this, but why are those the only 3 that are singled out as original?

I'm not trying to be a smart a@# when I ask this, but why are those the only 3 that are singled out as original?
    Probably because they are some of the "Original " forms that were developed and taught within the Shaolin system. The other ones were developed later. Just what I was told.It also gives a sense of authenticity.

BQ
    So these are the only forms he didn't make up?

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    What??No these are just much older and among the "original" sets taught within the Shaolin System

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    Nah, there are lots of forms he didn't make up, hua, tai chi, pa kua, hsing ie, 5 animal form.

Of course you're rebuttal will be that these are the only forms he didn't make up or steal.

And my rebuttal will be, no proof he could have learned these forms in Indonesia as they are fairly well known.

And your rebuttal will be, really, why no photos of Ie.

And I'll say "don't know, maybe Ie prefered to have his picture painted"

And you'll say, "White Earp sent me pictures"

And I'll say, "Haven't seen them yet"

And you'll say

Well, you get the idea....

The way Baqualin phrased that implied he made up everything else. I was just asking for clarification.

The only three forms in that group of seminars that came directly from the temple and not through the temple.