View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 488 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 388438478486487488489490498538588988 ... LastLast
Results 7,306 to 7,320 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    The way Baqualin phrased that implied he made up everything else. I was just asking for clarification.
    I implied nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Pen View Post
    Were you part of the '79 group?
    No, but I know who was and it was a small group...not EML or EMS....they already had it.

Quote Originally Posted by Baqualin View Post
    No, but I know who was and it was a small group...not EML or EMS....they already had it.
    I bet I know the same one. By the way, what did you mean when you said "from the temple and not through the temple"?
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

I bet I know the same one. By the way, what did you mean when you said "from the temple and not through the temple"?
    Not to answer the question for him, but, I think he means the material that was absorbed into the temples teaching and not developed within the temple, hence "through the temple".Correct BQ??

Quote Originally Posted by tattooedmonk View Post
    Not to answer the question for him, but, I think he means the material that was absorbed into the temples teaching and not developed within the temple, hence "through the temple".Correct BQ??
    Correct.

best,

bruce

Happy indeed we live,
    friendly amidst the hostile.
    Amidst hostile men
    we dwell free from hatred.

http://youtube.com/profile?user=brucereiter

Quote Originally Posted by shaolindoiscool View Post
    Substandard. I was not impressed at all. 3rd blacks ?? They looked like lower belts doing upperbelt material.I call it like I see it. As for black belts doing lower belt material....

ugh. why would someone put those test videos up? ever heard of dynamic tension? point sparring? *sigh* the sad thing is, he probably thinks he did great, and I'm sure he passed his test. I just hope the rest of the forms he did were way better. It looked like he just learned tiger crane and he was barely remembering it...of course, there is no excuse for a third black performing like that. (maybe this was a pretest?) The lack of standards is evident. How can you train for seven or eight years and still perform like that?

I know I shouldn't judge from here, testing can be stressfull. But stress doesn't account for that.
    "I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the flame of Anor. The dark fire will not avail you, flame of Udun! Go back to the shadow, you cannot pass!"

Quote Originally Posted by shaolindoiscool View Post
    What is your impression of these videos, Bruce?

What is your impression of these videos, Bruce?
    Not to speak for Bruce, but if he only studies internal, then he can only really comment on the Hsing-Ie two man set.

I'm sure the guy passed the test too, and certainly all of the moves were present, but he lacked the tempo (or more spedicfially did many of the forms too fast), the dynamic tension (in the appropriate parts) and the intent and power behind these forms. That's not his fault, because I've been told that some teachers under the CSC teach most of their forms to be performed with that level of speed and lack of power. (I'm basing this from a frined who has trained under a CSC 4th degree and with me under my teacher).
    Last edited by Judge Pen; 09-14-2007 at 09:03 AM.
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

How common is it to have teenager testing for 3rd black?

How common is it to have teenager testing for 3rd black?
    Not at all in our branch. You get younger ones that will have a "youth black sash" which is a simplified curriculim, but when they get older, they have to go back, pick up the remaining material and retest. Hence they stay 1st black for several years before they have the opportunity to move on.

Heck, my teacher is the oldest son of Master G. Mullins (8th degree now) and he was in his early 20s before he tested to third and he had been practicing regularly since he was at least 5. (He's now in his late 20s and a 5th degree).

Some of the guys form can be blamed on his age, but some of it has to be the instruction (that's just how some people are taught to do things).
    Last edited by Judge Pen; 09-14-2007 at 09:04 AM.

Some of the guys form can be blamed on his age, but some of it has to be the instruction (that's just how some people are taught to do things).
    Just looks like a typical kung fu student. He moves ok, but has no intent. I've seen worse.

Does anyone care to comment on the bird forms vids comparisons? Skipped right past that into the discussion of their SD debut....LOL.....

Just looks like a typical kung fu student. He moves ok, but has no intent. I've seen worse.
    I agree. I'm not wanting to be hard on the guy at all. In fact, I would have offered the same constructive criticism, but I would have passed him on the test (especially given his age).