View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 490 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 390440480488489490491492500540590990 ... LastLast
Results 7,336 to 7,350 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

[QUOTE=Baqualin;795654]
    Quote Originally Posted by shaolindoiscool View Post
    hi gt,

can you elaborate on the "cross-horizontal" block you were talking about ... thanks

I think he meant the crossing fist that comes after the cannon fist part of the linkage......from the crossing fist you go back to three body then to a little monkey block to chopping fist twice..2nd time with knee up then step into chicken eats the rice...then back to crushing fist and on..........
    BQ
    as i just practiced it now it may be something i glossed over ... as i do not have a specific note about that piece of the form ... but i played it how i imagine gt explained it and it made sense ... i could be way off though ... lol ...

best,

bruce
    best,

bruce

Happy indeed we live,
    friendly amidst the hostile.
    Amidst hostile men
    we dwell free from hatred.

http://youtube.com/profile?user=brucereiter

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    Although if you look at his applications vid, there's some that we have exactly in the same sequences of strikes/locks/throws in ippons and techniques..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87xnSNifTB8

@:20 technique 1 (although, these are probably basic techs of almost any MA, he does them much like us).

@ 1:25...ippon 3 or 4 leading to takedown

He's pretty good......but I wouldn't call his forms "pretty"....LOL.....
    Pet peeve of mine, how come peeps are always defending a straight punch when they show apps?

How many ways to deal with a stright punch or kick do you need to know? It just bugs me.

50 ways to defend against a straight punch, front kick, but nothing against a bear hug, shoot, headlock, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by shaolindoiscool View Post
    ttm

I did not post links of that stuff for people to be insulting..........
    I am not being insulting. I am being truthful.Sorry if the truth hurts or offends you.The schools out west are substandard. They are more concerned with selling belts and having a large body of students than teaching quality MA.

Quote Originally Posted by Yao Sing View Post
    Pet peeve of mine, how come peeps are always defending a straight punch when they show apps?

How many ways to deal with a stright punch or kick do you need to know? It just bugs me.

50 ways to defend against a straight punch, front kick, but nothing against a bear hug, shoot, headlock, etc.
    Self defense / Chin Na 1-30 in SD/ CSC has those.

Pet peeve of mine, as well. It's a good tool for beginners, just to get them used to something coming at their head; but it's not something that's "realistic".

Quote Originally Posted by tattooedmonk View Post
    I am not being insulting. I am being truthful.Sorry if the truth hurts or offends you.The schools out west are substandard. They are more concerned with selling belts and having a large body of students than teaching quality MA.
    I bet that was Ricardo Cameron, who sometimes posts here.......

He's doing what he does, and at the level of his ability. I wasn't even doing MA at his age, so I can't critique. Technically, I really sucked at MA at his age....LOL....

I know everyone's doing their best. It's just that it saddens me, when I see people with obviously so much enthusiasm and talent who aren't given any guidance. I guess it's not "wasted", when you feel good and like the people you're working with. I had a discussion like this once with one the seniors in my school. She made a point that not everyone can be "hard core", and that we're just offering everyone the chance to do the best they can and accomplish something. The level which they actually achieve is not important. the award of ranks is only relative to your own personal progress, and doesn't need to have anything to o with the perceived "level" of anyone else. So if you're better than you were two years ago, then you're ready to get that second black, even if you can't perform the techniques as well as everyone else can. I can appreciate giving everyone a chance to work hard and improve themselves.
    Especially for teenagers and younger folk...I would try my best to instill a strong foundation which they just don't get in the schools I saw. With all the material to learn, and the push to test as soon as possible, there just wasn't time to stop and focus on having a solid stance, or putting power into every kind of strike. The theory is that you will get all that stuff over time, as you practice the myriad forms over and over again. However, a great portion of time is spent just learning the moves of the form. As soon as you've got it, it's time for the next form. When is this time to focus on fundamentals supposed to occur? In reality, it doesn't.

In the eastern schools, it seems things are better. But in the western system, a lot of people go through the ranks without receiving much basic instruction.
    "I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the flame of Anor. The dark fire will not avail you, flame of Udun! Go back to the shadow, you cannot pass!"

I've said it before, and will say it again: you kind of have to be a pest and press people for depth....LOL...... Plus, you've got to ask the right people....at least, here in the East. Don't really know how it is in the West.

Note: I got a reply on the kungfu forum from a Vietnamese speaking dude, who was a really big help in determining the bird form comparisons I had made. He says the forms we saw are two of the four basic hand sets taught in a binh dinh (Vietnamese Shaolin) MA called Buddhist Temple Kung Fu, and that the style generally describes Tiger claw and Crane movements, predicated on Hung Gar footwork. Sounds a lot like what we do.

The first fist form, which looked like 1st bird, was called: "Can ban so dang."

The second fist form, which looked like 2nd bird, was called: "Nhap mon khoi quyen."

I am curious if these forms, based on their Vietnamese description, could possibly be related to Tiger-Swallow, or something of that sort. I'm pretty certain these MA's migrated somewhat in the fashion ours did, in terms of structure (minus the hairy chinese guys).

I don't know about you guys, but I find this very interesting.

I also emailed one of the guys who ran the World Martial Arts Festival, and he seemed happy to help me out. He forwarded my email to several prominent Vietnamese kung fu teachers in Southern Cali. I got one reply so far, and the dude mistook me for a woman because of my first name, Morgan....LOL...the *******.........but I appreciate his response (and makes this response letter friggin' hilarious!!!):

"Indeed, there are some Vietnamese Shaolin Kungfu in Southern California but I can't recommend any of them because I don't know the purpose of this lady. She may watch, learn or challenge them. Practically, we can't do that. If she likes to learn Vietnamese Kungfu without learning any other style, I can recommend some. In this case, she already learned some styles. "

LOL, now I'm some lady that wants to challenge the Vietnamese masters of Little Saigon, CA? LOL............

Note: I got a reply on the kungfu forum from a Vietnamese speaking dude, who was a really big help in determining the bird form comparisons I had made. He says the forms we saw are two of the four basic hand sets taught in a binh dinh (Vietnamese Shaolin) MA called Buddhist Temple Kung Fu, and that the style generally describes Tiger claw and Crane movements, predicated on Hung Gar footwork. Sounds a lot like what we do.
    Phuc Careem is a good resource. You can trust what he says.

I am curious if these forms, based on their Vietnamese description, could possibly be related to Tiger-Swallow, or something of that sort.
    They don't look anything like Tiger-Swallow.

"Indeed, there are some Vietnamese Shaolin Kungfu in Southern California but I can't recommend any of them because I don't know the purpose of this lady. She may watch, learn or challenge them. Practically, we can't do that. If she likes to learn Vietnamese Kungfu without learning any other style, I can recommend some. In this case, she already learned some styles. "
    So you can only learn if you don't have any previous training?

And they're hiding out because they're afraid someone might want to fight them?

Sounds really weird to me, maybe a cult thing.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    Phuc Careem is a good resource. You can trust what he says.

They don't look anything like Tiger-Swallow.
    My mistake.....I don't know what I was typing earlier. I meant this Vietnamese Tiger-Crane combo thing they have going on. I don't see any hung gar in what they were doing, really. Only in the footwork, like PC said.
    Last edited by Shaolin Wookie; 09-15-2007 at 01:38 PM.

So you can only learn if you don't have any previous training?

And they're hiding out because they're afraid someone might want to fight them?

Sounds really weird to me, maybe a cult thing.
    Wow, you really misread that.

I asked some questions about the forms, and they must have thought I wanted to come and learn them. (And these are Vietnamese dudes living in a Vietnamese community in CA). Some random dude (or chick, apparently) is asking them questions....and that guy's reply was through another guy's referral. You know, the chain thang......messages get distorted....

Everyone taking a nap? It was a great weekend but even my old a$$ isn't that tired.
    "Pain heals, chicks dig scars..Glory lasts forever"......

QUOTE=Golden Tiger;797032]Everyone taking a nap? It was a great weekend but even my old a$$ isn't that tired.[/QUOTE]

Hey GT,
    What did you think about the Yin side of Meteor Fist
    BQ

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Tiger View Post
    Everyone taking a nap? It was a great weekend but even my old a$$ isn't that tired.

Did you say hello to KC?
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.