View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 497 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 397447487495496497498499507547597997 ... LastLast
Results 7,441 to 7,455 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post

you contradicted yourself.
    No , I did not .I am refering to the philosophies not the religions

i dunno, the japanese and chinese people are pretty friendly these days right?
    what is the difference whether the "gi" and the term "do" are used ? answer the question.

Quote Originally Posted by tattooedmonk View Post
    what is the difference whether the "gi" and the term "do" are used ? answer the question.
    its japanese.
    you go to shang hai or beijing, these "hip" banana basterds will say yeah yeah friendship peace yeh no hostility. if you go outside of those cities that kiss foreigner's asses though...you get blood boiling and fist clenching..huh..

ok ok, what makes shaolin for you?
    Last edited by bawang; 09-25-2007 at 07:54 AM.

yo masterkiller, i agree with you but i'm talking about the "old" days when both military and scholar monks had to participate in buddhism.
    This is not the old days, anymore. Any training post-1928 is going to be different than anything pre-1928, for obvious reasons.

and i didn't say south fists don't come from shaolin, i said its possible they did. (you can see some technique and footwork) but shaolin-do?
    Well, SD has some Southern forms, like Tiger Crane. So, if Hung Gar is Shaolin based, then SD's Tiger Crane has to give them some Shaolin connection. The real question is how did it get into SD in the first place...

lastly yeh henan temple makes a lot of money teaching modern wushu, but that doesn't mean they don't teach authentic shaolin.
    Most of the "authentic" Shaolin they teach was brought back from the villages, where the real stuff was kept and spread.

its japanese.
    you go to shang hai or beijing, these "hip" banana basterds will say yeah yeah friendship peace yeh no hostility. if you go outside of those cities that kiss foreigner's asses though...
    Actually, "DO" is Cantonese. Shaolin is Mandarin. So, asking why the mix of Mandarin and Cantonese is really a more valid question.

In the pictures I have from WhiteEarp, they aren't training in Karate Gis. I know there are pics of Sin and Hwang as teenagers wearing Gis, though (in one of the pdfs on shaolingrandmaster.com I think), so who knows if they even used them outside of tournaments...
    Last edited by MasterKiller; 09-25-2007 at 07:56 AM.

erm it's something to do with reaching spiritual enlightenment through martial arts. you have to have chan to be shaolin.even if the monks do BJJ they can still be shaolin if they practice chan. its the combine of spiritual and martal.
    EDIT of course i'm talking about long ago, in galaxy far away.

then you are influenced or inspired by shaolin but not directly from shaolin. hehehehe got you
    The Way of Shaolin (Shaolin Do) Has absorbed teachings from inside and outside the temples. It is a collection of over 1500 years of martial arts teaching in China. As passed on By GMSKT.Your ideas of what is and what is not is slightly distorted.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post

Actually, "DO" is Cantonese. Shaolin is Mandarin. So, asking why the mix of Mandarin and Cantonese is really a more valid question.
    well that's easy to explain, language variation. my jiangsu village dialect would be so-lin do. the village right next to us would be sio-ning do.

gangbang aside, my point is that
    i think no one has the authority to call themselves shaolin unless they train the way pre 1928.
    the henan shaolin temple. it's authority is questionable but at least it is the real shaolin temple (although rebuilt) right? at least they train hard, even modern whushu people in china train ten times harder than trad kung fu westerners here. at lesat they have somehting in common:both can't fight for sh1t
    Last edited by bawang; 09-25-2007 at 08:04 AM.

its japanese.
    you go to shang hai or beijing, these "hip" banana basterds will say yeah yeah friendship peace yeh no hostility. if you go outside of those cities that kiss foreigner's asses though...you get blood boiling and fist clenching..huh..

ok ok, what makes shaolin for you?
    Whatever. And where did most of the Japanese culture come from just prior to the modern era??
    U still did not answer the question. Lets not forget that we are in America and the history surounding SD.

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Pen View Post
    Jim's a class act. I've trained with them and crossed hands with one of his students. Good stuff all the way around. Let me know if and when you're down. Nashville's only a couple of hours away.
    Sounds good to me JP. I'm thinking sometime around the 1st of the year. Give or take a month, lol...

RD
    The Style Doesn't Make The Master Famous. The Master Makes The Style Famous!

well that's easy to explain, language variation. my jiangsu village dialect would be so-lin do. the village right next to us would be sio-ning do.

gangbang aside, my point is that
    i think no one has the authority to call themselves shaolin unless they train the way pre 1928.
    the henan shaolin temple. it's authority is questionable but at least it is the shaolin temple right? at least they train hard, even modern whushu people in china train ten times harder than trad kung fu westerners here.
    shaolin is just a name .So you think westerneers do not take training serious??

Whatever. And where did most of the Japanese culture come from just prior to the modern era??
    U still did not answer the question. Lets not forget that we are in America and the history surounding SD.
    the answer is culture divide between chinese and japanese. i asume your question was what's wrong with the gis and the do.

shaolin is just a name .
    that name is very important.
    So you think westerneers do not take training serious??
    in traditional kung fu, not a lot.

the answer is culture divide between chinese and japanese. i asume your question was what's wrong with the gis and the do.

that name is very important.

in traditional kung fu, not a lot.
    and why is it that there is this divide??

Nothing is wrong with the name or the uniform. The name is important to a certain degree but not enough to get al worked up about .

I personally train very hard , as well as my students.

and why is it that there is this divide??

Nothing is wrong with the name or the uniform. The name is important to a certain degree but not enough to get al worked up about ..

ok then we can agree to disagree right? i just think if you got shaolin in your name , then you need to put lots of work in. that's tuff to do with kung fu.

I personally train very hard , as well as my students.
    ok good luck mister, but remeber please, "train hard" is a relative term these days. people often think they train hard but there is always another level.
    Last edited by bawang; 09-25-2007 at 08:32 AM.

Pre mullet pic
    VOTE FOR PEDRO '08

Ever notice how virtually everyone agrees that 95% of all traditional schools are crap, but NOBODY ever admits to being in that 5%? Don't judge... your skill may suck also...
    Quote from SevenStar

Just call me the Shaolin Do Wet Blanket. Gene Ching

Blog Entries

golden leopard

I noticed that GMst is going to teach the golden leopard again. A question for those who took it the last time, what did you think of the material and the seminar method of teaching?

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    In the pictures I have from WhiteEarp, they aren't training in Karate Gis. I know there are pics of Sin and Hwang as teenagers wearing Gis, though (in one of the pdfs on shaolingrandmaster.com I think), so who knows if they even used them outside of tournaments...
    Tease.

And thanks for stepping in and making some of the points I was failing to make.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.