View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 523 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 234234735135215225235245255335736231023 ... LastLast
Results 7,831 to 7,845 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Quote Originally Posted by The Willow Sword View Post
    i dont know who this Mkriii is and certainly do not know who chiballs of fire is. i have been reading and viewing the last few pages and am rolling my eyes and laughing at the same time.

As to the notion that SD'ers do not go to open tourneys outside their own, well that is simply not true. when I WAS a loyal Sd'er several of us went to an AAU sponsored kung fu tournament and took away some medals and i actually WON the Mens advanced sparring(hehe it wasnt anything special though because i won by default because the other guy decided that he wanted to strike at my throat,his dumb a$$ got disqualified right away). Anyway the sd'ers DO go to other tourneys,HOWEVER,it would be interesting to see if the SD'ers would go to tourneys like Taichi legacy and some of the big ones and show their stuff.

PEACE,TWS
    I don't have the time to participate in Tourney's.....But, that's one I plan to do before I get to old.....if for nothing else to meet a lot of great people.
    BQ

Quote Originally Posted by mkriii View Post
    Why is it that I have not seen hardly any SD people compete? I competed both nationally and regionally. I've been to tournaments all over the country. I have been to Anthony Price's tournament in Cinci, The Bowling Green Classic, The Bluegrass Nationals in Louisville (may Ken Eubanks rest in peace, he was a great man), Capitol City Classic in D.C. , AKA Grand Nationals in Chicago, and many others and have only seen 2 SD people, maybe 3 SDers.
    I can't speak for anyone other than me. But I've never been told or discouraged from competing in a tournament.

I think some west coast CSC schools do discourage their students from competing in open tournaments, but I'm basing that on what someone has said here on this forum. I don't know if its true or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

http://softanswertaichi.com/cheng-st...e-tai-chi.html

I assume this is the form you are referring to?
    This form looks good. I think I want to learn it. I'm serious.
    Yes, this form is virtually identical to our tai chi 64.

Oh, I thought "just do it" was by Nike, not John Ng.
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

http://softanswertaichi.com/cheng-st...e-tai-chi.html

I assume this is the form you are referring to?
    This form looks good. I think I want to learn it. I'm serious.
    Call me you have my # .
    BQ
    Last edited by Baqualin; 10-04-2007 at 09:45 AM.

this is a bad thing that i now have internet at work,LOL!!!!

TWS
    It makes me mad when people say I turned and ran like a scared rabbit. Maybe it was like an angry rabbit, who was going to fight in another fight, away from the first fight.

this is a bad thing that i now have internet at work,LOL!!!!

TWS
    Watch out for chiballs he will rat you out
    BQ

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Pen View Post
    Yes, this form is virtually identical to our tai chi 64.

Oh, I thought "just do it" was by Nike, not John Ng.
    It is CMC's. It's his answer to not wanting to practice the full Yang Family 108 step set. He said it himself one time.
    Message: Due to the ongoing Recession, God has decided the light at the end of the tunnel will be shut off due to power costs. That is all.

Watch out for chiballs he will rat you out
    BQ

yeah like it would make any difference. it is boring as hell here. i work at a, of all places, a tanning salon,LOL. it is in a wealthy part of town and no-one hardly comes in. i just sit here in limbo thinking about when i am going to get my license to practice MT and start making better money(next week actually is when i take my licensing test, then i can leave the tanning salon behind), sheesh the places i have worked over the years

Peace,TWS
    It makes me mad when people say I turned and ran like a scared rabbit. Maybe it was like an angry rabbit, who was going to fight in another fight, away from the first fight.

yeah like it would make any difference. it is boring as hell here. i work at a, of all places, a tanning salon,LOL. it is in a wealthy part of town and no-one hardly comes in. i just sit here in limbo thinking about when i am going to get my license to practice MT and start making better money(next week actually is when i take my licensing test, then i can leave the tanning salon behind), sheesh the places i have worked over the years

Peace,TWS
    I hope the clients are at least good looking....

I hope the clients are at least good looking....

Hot lookin snobby rich women, it dont git no better.

TWS

Hot lookin snobby rich women, it dont git no better.

TWS
    It does if they are looking to slum with the guy behind the counter at the tanning salon.

mkrii

A few things regarding the CMC 37 form for you...

I've learned the PRC 24 form, the CMC 37 (Yang 64 as per SD) and the Yang 108 when I was younger. Although the CMC form is considered a distillation of the Yang 108, some people consider it a different style altogether, because of a high emphasis on relaxation, neutralizing force, and uprooting. This is in contrast to the Chen style, which still has obvious fajin within the form.

If you're interested in "Cheng style", I'd encourage you to look up anything by Nigel Sutton, a proponent of the Chinese arts, especially Cheng Taiji. In his book "Finding the Way", he talks about many of his Malaysian teachers who were not afraid to take the principles of Cheng's practice into challenge matches and tourneys, with impressive results. Robert Smith, one of the first Westerners to really pursue the Asian martial arts, singles out CMC for particular praise, and he wasn't afraid to call out BS when he saw it...

One caveat... I don't think it's too hard to find someone who teaches the Cheng version of Yang Taiji, but be careful about the teacher. By most accounts, Cheng was so skilled at the ability to neutralize an opponent's force and uproot them while remaining relaxed, that he rarely had to resort to anything else. I think there are many teachers of the Cheng style who push this 'relaxation' idea to the extreme without focusing on proper stance and body mechanics. You'll wind up with the equivalent of a plate of spaghetti that's been boiled for an hour... very limp and relaxed, but completely lacking in substance...

There are a few good YouTube clips out there of the Cheng form to look at... also take a look at some offerings by a guy named Sam Masich (does Yang/Chen Taiji and Xingyi, but there's also a DVD available of a Cheng Stylist that looks pretty good...)

Eastern State Mental Hospital Psych Ward, Room 12
    Yes, NIKE has the saying just do it but back in the day (80's) when we would be doing wu shu and trying some new "trick" and scared to try it Jiohn Ng would always yell Just do it. It was fuuny because he had that chinese accent and it would sound like he was saying just doeeet. Kind of a joke amongst us John Ng students.

just rolling along here........boy this thread just brings them out of the woodwork

chi Balls of fire

I live in the LA area and would be more than happy to meet with you and cross hands.