View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 54 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 4445253545556641041545541054 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Hmmmm. Did I ask an embarassing question for you SD guys, or do you just not have any idea of the answer?
    Time
    Slips through fingers
    Like this world of dust

i am good how is master green
    ...or is there something i have missed a glimpse of phantoms in the mist. Traveling down a dusty road bent forward with this heavy load..

Well it's obvious that it didn't come from temple isn't cerebus
    VOTE FOR PEDRO '08

Ever notice how virtually everyone agrees that 95% of all traditional schools are crap, but NOBODY ever admits to being in that 5%? Don't judge... your skill may suck also...
    Quote from SevenStar

Just call me the Shaolin Do Wet Blanket. Gene Ching

Yes, that much is obvious. Which is why I'm asking for the less obvious answer of where DID he learn it from? I know who MY instructors learned it from, and who THEIR instructor learned it from (our school teaches Northern Shaolin, Hsing-I, Tai Chi & Bagua). Who did Sin learn it from?
    Time
    Slips through fingers
    Like this world of dust

Hmmmm. Did I ask an embarassing question for you SD guys, or do you just not have any idea of the answer?
    I would guess both. Unless, of course maybe Sin The taught that form to Cheng Man Ching. Anything is possible right?
    Mack 10 just got out of court,
    rollin through tha hood in his super sport ropin Too $hort.
    Eighteens got tha rearview mirrors vibratin

I think we are talking about two different tai chi forms. I have no idea where either was taught, but I know that Sin the was teaching 64 (or 37 or whatever) llong before he taugth 24. No one is claiming that he taugth it to CMC.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Originally posted by shen ku
    i am good how is master green
    He is doing fantastic. I was just at his cabin the other day.
    themeecer actually shares a lot of the passion that Bruce Lee had about adopting techniques into your own way of 'expressing yourself.'
    -shaolinarab
    (Nicest thing ever said about me on these boards.)

Well the Tai Chi 24 form is the modern Wushu short-form based on Yang style which was created by a Wushu committee in the....50s, I think. The 64/ 37 form (37 postures, several of them repeated, for a total of 64) was created by Cheng Man Ching in Taiwan (don't recall the specific date).

I'm just wondering how they got into the SD curriculum. They've been available through books for decades. I suspect that's where Sin learned them.
    Time
    Slips through fingers
    Like this world of dust

Go away for a while, come back and there's another huge SD thread. Some things never change

Originally posted by sean_stonehart
    Just buy a copy of Cheng Man Ching's "13 Treatises on Tai Chi"... it's got the form in the back of the book... posture by posture... but it doesn't show you how to link the motions...
    That's fine ... I can link the postures .. I can show you if you need to know.
    themeecer actually shares a lot of the passion that Bruce Lee had about adopting techniques into your own way of 'expressing yourself.'
    -shaolinarab
    (Nicest thing ever said about me on these boards.)

Originally posted by themeecer
    That's fine ... I can link the postures .. I can show you if you need to know.
    Thanks but that's ok.

When I play Taiji, I'm working on the Yang 108.
    Message: Due to the ongoing Recession, God has decided the light at the end of the tunnel will be shut off due to power costs. That is all.

Originally posted by cerebus
    Well the Tai Chi 24 form is the modern Wushu short-form based on Yang style which was created by a Wushu committee in the....50s, I think. The 64/ 37 form (37 postures, several of them repeated, for a total of 64) was created by Cheng Man Ching in Taiwan (don't recall the specific date).

I'm just wondering how they got into the SD curriculum. They've been available through books for decades. I suspect that's where Sin learned them.
    " the famous Yang Cheng-Fu (1883-1936) who is also known as Yang Chao-Chin. The
    Yang style really gained widespread popularity because of the teaching of
    Yang Cheng-Fu, the family members teaching in southern China, Hong Kong and
    Taiwan, and the many fine students of Yang Cheng-Fu."

"Cheng Man-ch'ing Chronology -1938 Created the 37 Posture Short Form while in Hunan

So it looks like Yang style was being taught throughout southern China early on. It is even concievable that one of Master Sin's teachers or collegues picked it up during that time and didn't have to wait till it came out in "paperback".

Also just watched a chip of CMC's short form and while most of the moves are close, there are a lot of differences.

PS. Just announced that we will be getting "Hsing I Pang Loong Chen"
    Entwine the Dragon 2-edge sword. Yeahhhh!!!!!!!!!
    "Pain heals, chicks dig scars..Glory lasts forever"......

Is that the March seminar material? Or some special 5th degree thing that us peons can't hope to attain.

March Seminar material.....
    "Pain heals, chicks dig scars..Glory lasts forever"......

huzzah!