View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 551 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 514515015415495505515525535616016511051 ... LastLast
Results 8,251 to 8,265 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Quote Originally Posted by Citong Shifu View Post
    JP,
    Ummmm, was that sarcasm or sincere . Sorry for asking, but this thread has rebounded in so many ways that sometimes its hard to tell. If sincere, thank you! I beleieve that its very difficult to pin point our exact lineage/history. Our elders (old time masters) were very secretive. Many things were not recored due to protection of the disciples and other masters from government slayings, clan mass murders, or just survival of the art/legacy for whatever reason/s. Some did make or kept accurate records that were passed through the generations which either were lost in time, destroyed, or eventually surfaced... We see more documentation on style lineage/history/disciple, etc in our modern time, well at least the last 50 years or so... This is mainly due to times are different now and we wont be punished or killed for our association or affiliation with said teacher,school, or style... Also, more written documentation has surfaced since CMA have made there way to America and Europe where they can be highlighted without recourse... Of course, there have been those who have abused this by adding or taking out names or timelines to suit the reputation and styles, with intentions of over shadowing the other arts... Anyway, I'm sure everyone gets my point here. Histories and lineage's are becoming more abundant now and will continue to in the future...

I dont know ST, never met him. I'm sure he's a good person. Furthermore, I'm sure he gives credit were credits due... I dont have time to be smug. I'd rather take that time and develop my art and skill. I like to see other arts and there expressions. Shaolin philosophy teaches us not to define and keep the mind open.

Take care.
    CS
    It was sincere. You seem to have come from a well-established lineage but yet you still look at things with an open mind and give us more of the benefit of the doubt than many do here. I appreciate the perspective.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Hey CS,
    I too feel the same as JP....your a honor to your teachers.....as I've said before I look forward to meeting up with you someday....maybe at one of your tourney's.
    Always welcome here.
    BQ

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Pen View Post
    It was sincere. You seem to have come from a well-established lineage but yet you still look at things with an open mind and give us more of the benefit of the doubt than many do here. I appreciate the perspective.

I'm not judge nor jury, I'm just me! Time spent deveolping is time not wasted. After all, time is all we have. Some more than others. I want to be known for what I am today, not what I could have been tomorrow. I'm sure most of you think the same way, well, obviously, just look at the majority of the thread... Anyway, I would rather be accepted as a fellow martial artist regardless of my background (MA's) apposed to being judged on the basis of my background. As I'm sure all of you wish the same...

Everyone talks about expression/s of CMA, but then quickly reverts back to something not being right. Lets express out point of view's and use objective or contructive criticism to better improve self-development. There's too many CMA's styles for anyone to be completely right or wrong.....

Maybe a new thread will enable more constructive conversation than "Is SD Real". This title continues to flare the conversations.

Lock this thread and lets begin again!!!!

CS
    The Style Doesn't Make The Master Famous. The Master Makes The Style Famous!

Quote Originally Posted by Baqualin View Post
    Hey CS,
    I too feel the same as JP....your a honor to your teachers.....as I've said before I look forward to meeting up with you someday....maybe at one of your tourney's.
    Always welcome here.
    BQ
    Thanks for the kind words. Yeah, I keep you guys informed... We're hoping to hold one in the Fall of 2008.

CS

Thanks for the kind words. Yeah, I keep you guys informed... We're hoping to hold one in the Fall of 2008.

CS
    Please do!!! I think it would be a fun way to meet!!!

I'm for locking this thread also...500 has been reached and this thread has become a live manifestation of the movie Ground Hog day
    BQ

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    Bruce scares me. He's roughly the same size as my teacher, considerably bigger than me. I think anything he does would be powerful.
    one of the things i have learned from my teacher is to recognize my own attributes ... what are my strengths what are my weakness. refine my strength/build up my weakness

OK, in the interests of discussion, why is your stance so narrow finishing each step? That's very different to what you did before. Is that a conscious thing/is there a reason?
    i practice with 2 basic types of stepping the recent clip is a follow step. it just has a different feel to it. i am still trying to understand the difference and the pros/cons of both methods of stepping.

And you emphasize the striking hand - what's your intent with your other hand? It seems to pull back. Is that what you're trying to do?
    the "other" hands intention is to bridge (create a opening) does that make sense?
    best,

bruce

Happy indeed we live,
    friendly amidst the hostile.
    Amidst hostile men
    we dwell free from hatred.

http://youtube.com/profile?user=brucereiter

500 has been reached and this thread has become a live manifestation of the movie Ground Hog day
    BQ[/B]

HAS NOT!!!!!!!!!!!

Wait... have I said that before?
    Message: Due to the ongoing Recession, God has decided the light at the end of the tunnel will be shut off due to power costs. That is all.

jkje;gnh;nbe;geu;vnerje
    thank bagualin,

from the spine ... little by little i am getting that.

thanks for checking out the clips.
    best,

bruce

Happy indeed we live,
    Amidst hostile men

Maybe a new thread will enable more constructive conversation than "Is SD Real". This title continues to flare the conversations.

Lock this thread and lets begin again!!!!

CS
    i think the shaolin do conversations should be left on this thread. i wish there was more conversation about how we all practice and apply our understandings of our art. it is interesting for me to hear peoples observations of things i present regardless of them liking it or not.
    best,

bruce

Happy indeed we live,
    Amidst hostile men

10. hey bruce sorry i had to back out man...i can hardly talk and it just would not have been good for me.

we wil definitely hook up in the future!

Quote Originally Posted by shaolindoiscool View Post
    one of the things i have learned from my teacher is to recognize my own attributes ... what are my strengths what are my weakness. refine my strength/build up my weakness

i practice with 2 basic types of stepping the recent clip is a follow step. it just has a different feel to it. i am still trying to understand the difference and the pros/cons of both methods of stepping.

Allows your whole body to move in unison with (behind) the punch....from the spine........takes up the distance with the back foot which is less visible and allows for smoother foward motion with no retreat

the "other" hands intention is to bridge (create a opening) does that make sense?
    Correct......hand doesn't actually pull back...the whole body moves up to it as the next punch shoots out from the spine

Quote Originally Posted by shaolindoiscool View Post
    i think the shaolin do conversations should be left on this thread. i wish there was more conversation about how we all practice and apply our understandings of our art. it is interesting for me to hear peoples observations of things i present regardless of them liking it or not.
    People will be able to continue SD conversation, I was just implying that the current title "Is SD Real" fuels the fire for non-constructive conversation. Another thread could be created like - The Art Of SD - or something like that! Anything that takes the entire subject away from what it has become... Sure, will the thread get conversation like the current thread, of course, but over all, the conversations will be on the different aspects of the art. Remember, The way of Shaolin does not wait for change, but evolves and makes the necessary changes that will enhance the way of Shaolin....

Why, thank you SDiscool!
    here is my teacher doing:
    Fist of the Grand Ultimate Mercy
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSqQoaMAXaU
    best,

bruce

Happy indeed we live,
    Amidst hostile men

Quote Originally Posted by kungfujunky View Post
    hey bruce sorry i had to back out man...i can hardly talk and it just would not have been good for me.

we wil definitely hook up in the future!
    see ya next time.
    best,

bruce

Happy indeed we live,
    Amidst hostile men

SDiC

It is so interesting to see how different Masters do that form I have seen it 4 different ways now. Perhaps this is why there is so much discontent between the upper level people . I would like to see some one from denver do it too just for C/C. This is also contributing to others being so critical of what they see here and on the web, SIGH KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !