View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 554 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 544545045445525535545555565646046541054 ... LastLast
Results 8,296 to 8,310 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Shaolin 72 Boxing Methods

Just curious, Does SD teach the Shaolin Temple form (tao lu) - Shaolin 72 methods or Shaolin 72 boxing methods? This set has been taught throughout Shaolin kungfu history, both Northern & Southern Shaolin Temple. I have looked through many SD websites and ST site and don't see this form/style listed at all anywhere.

If any SD member knows or could find out please let me know. If not, no big deal. I'm just trying to see what our styles/art share concerning the Fukien SH.T. arts...

I am not familiar with your art's lineage concerning the other various Shaolin Temples of Fukien/Fujian (in that particular era). So, I can't compare my style/s similarities to those branches... However, I am curious to see what we share. This way, I will have something that I can discuss with you guys, if not share some additional thoughts on said style/s...

Take care.
    CS
    The Style Doesn't Make The Master Famous. The Master Makes The Style Famous!

Shaolin Wookie, it is disingenuous to claim that Sin The' does not claim to be THE Shaolin grandmaster. Your entire system, claims to fame and belief system is built on this, and tearing down the actual Shaolin temple by claiming they are all 'modern wushu.'

It's sad really, that when you cannot accept truth, you attempt spin.
    www.kungnation.com

Pre-order Kung! Twisted Barbarian Felony from your favorite comic shop!

3. Quote Originally Posted by Citong Shifu View Post
    Just curious, Does SD teach the Shaolin Temple form (tao lu) - Shaolin 72 methods or Shaolin 72 boxing methods? This set has been taught throughout Shaolin kungfu history, both Northern & Southern Shaolin Temple. I have looked through many SD websites and ST site and don't see this form/style listed at all anywhere.

If any SD member knows or could find out please let me know. If not, no big deal. I'm just trying to see what our styles/art share concerning the Fukien SH.T. arts...

I am not familiar with your art's lineage concerning the other various Shaolin Temples of Fukien/Fujian (in that particular era). So, I can't compare my style/s similarities to those branches... However, I am curious to see what we share. This way, I will have something that I can discuss with you guys, if not share some additional thoughts on said style/s...

Take care.
    CS
    hey citong its possible we have that...but id have to see it performed to know for sure.

ill check youtube...and ask some of the senior students as well

Quote Originally Posted by kungfujunky View Post
    hey citong its possible we have that...but id have to see it performed to know for sure.

ill check youtube...and ask some of the senior students as well

KFJ, Thanks. I'm not sure if its on youtube. I could be wrong, if you find a youtube set let me know. I would be interested in seeing it as well...

Thanks.
    CS

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Tiger View Post
    Up until 1:32 in the clip, it was balls on with the way Master Sin taught it (note: a few of the hand movements were cut a bit short) but for the most part, it was dead on. I even checked the tape of Master Sin. Now I am not sure what he was doing at 1:32, thats a new twist on it as far as I have seen.
    Even at 1:32, it looks like what I was taught, hands wash the ocean or something like that, and then the step with head wash.

Flaca

I think you need to review with Master Joe if that is how you were taught the form it is different than how I was taught it the differences are there but subtle body turns extra moves the opening sequence is counter clock wise and proceeds above the head slightly etc. KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !

7. the chen i was shown is different than what bruce is doing (at least section 1)

i am fixing to video it section by section so we can all compare

that is cool that its on track with gmt.
    i wonder is it only the few moves around 1.32-1.48 that are different? could gmt have shown him that way?
    Could have been, who knows. But as it has been pointed out, there are a few subtle differences between the two, I was just commenting on the major ones.

SD'ers, pm me your email and I will send you a present (ie. the correct version) when I get the chance.
    "Pain heals, chicks dig scars..Glory lasts forever"......

the chen i was shown is different than what bruce is doing (at least section 1)

i am fixing to video it section by section so we can all compare
    i am sure it is very different, i do it as i have understood it and as i have learned through my practice and study ...

i was at the denver school last year and had a chance to go to a open practice where i met a 4th black and a 2nd black (i do not remember their names) and we did our chen 83 side by side ... we were doing very different things. i do this slightly different than my teacher also.

when a difference in performance comes up my teacher will generally ask if i can generate more speed and power and if i can apply it. if i cant i had better just do it exactly like i was taught.

i would like to see a video ...

best,

bruce
    best,

bruce

Happy indeed we live,
    friendly amidst the hostile.
    Amidst hostile men
    we dwell free from hatred.

http://youtube.com/profile?user=brucereiter

?

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Tiger View Post
    Could have been, who knows. But as it has been pointed out, there are a few subtle differences between the two, I was just commenting on the major ones.

SD'ers, pm me your email and I will send you a present (ie. the correct version) when I get the chance.
    hi gt,

i would respectfully say, your use of the word "correct" implies that the other is incorrect i think that is not the case:

one of the following is true.

a. gmt taught a slightly different version of the form to smg than he did to eml. implying they are both "correct" yet different.

or

b. smg misunderstood what he was taught and teaches it a different way than he was taught.

i think it is a.
    ==========================================

another example to show how these differences can occur is gmt made a video for smg and smg does the material as it is shown on the video gmt made for him and the way he was shown in private lessons. once when eml and smg were working on said material eml noted some differences and made corrections to smg and smg said this is what gmt taught him i have it on video ... and eml said the same thing.
    which person is doing it "correctly"
    best,

bruce

Happy indeed we live,
    friendly amidst the hostile.
    Amidst hostile men
    we dwell free from hatred.

http://youtube.com/profile?user=brucereiter

11. i think a lot of these differences are personal interpretation as well as physicality differences in the practitioners.

for myself both eml and ems do forms differently because of physiological differences.

it is a given that the forms would morph and change as i believe they should since shaolin is a living art.

if you check youtube it is nearly impossible to find 1 form performed the same by any 2 people.

12. also bruce just to note gmt does taping of new forms just once (usually in lexington) and then that video is what is given out to the different schools he visits.

so in theory the video smg has is the same as eml or the em's here in denver and so on

None! LOL. That was alot of wushu and movie clips I guess... Well, ok. Let me know if you hear of this set in the SD curriculum..

Thanks.
    CS

14. see thats the problem lol

is it a 5 animal set? do you have any clips of even just a little bit of it done by you or a student of yours?