View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 562 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 624625125525605615625635645726126621062 ... LastLast
Results 8,416 to 8,430 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Funny.....

Quote Originally Posted by The Xia View Post
    I think it would be funnier if Kung Fu Fan wasn't an alias for someone else. That, or it is really an alias for Gene.
    I always thought the samething.

Sheeat.....

Man, I busted my spear yesterday doing Yang Family Spear, when you slap the ground with the butt twice near the middle of the form.

There was this flock of asian chicks passing by my apartment, and they stopped to give me an audience, and my girlfriend was nowhere around--so it was okay if I showed off a little, I guess.

But I busted my spear, and now I'm spearless.

Sucks. But I got a standing ovation. Sure, they were already standing, but it was a standing ovation, nonetheless.

So...

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    Man, I busted my spear yesterday doing Yang Family Spear, when you slap the ground with the butt twice near the middle of the form.

There was this flock of asian chicks passing by my apartment, and they stopped to give me an audience, and my girlfriend was nowhere around--so it was okay if I showed off a little, I guess.

Sucks. But I got a standing ovation. Sure, they were already standing, but it was a standing ovation, nonetheless.
    So what you're saying is that you were playing with your spear in front Asian chicks while your girlfriend wasn't home, got too excited and broke your spear? TMI man!
    "Repugnant is a creature that would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of it's fleeting time here." - Tool

www.bentmonk.com

Did you have an old spear? This is why is soak the shaft in oil to treat it and prevent damage as the spear ages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

No, it was a relatively young rattan spear. I think it was more the fact I should have choked up a bit if I was going to go slapping it on asphalt like a *******.

(If I was single, I could have gotten da numbas...LOL....well, I could have gotten 'em anyways, but the last thing this man needs is two wimmins jawing his ear off.)

Quote Originally Posted by BentMonk View Post
    So what you're saying is that you were playing with your spear in front Asian chicks while your girlfriend wasn't home, got too excited and broke your spear? TMI man!
    *rimshot!*
    "Prepare your mind..." "For a mind explosion!"
    -The Human Giant, Illusionators

Quote Originally Posted by kung fu fan View Post
    I'm new to the world of Kung Fu and have a questions? Is the systen known as Shaolin-Do real shaolin kung fu???
    MasterKiller's grammar and spelling is better than this post.
    VOTE FOR PEDRO '08

Ever notice how virtually everyone agrees that 95% of all traditional schools are crap, but NOBODY ever admits to being in that 5%? Don't judge... your skill may suck also...
    Quote from SevenStar

Just call me the Shaolin Do Wet Blanket. Gene Ching

Shaolin-Do...

...everything you ever wanted to know about butt-whupping but were afraid to ask because you were afraid you'd get your butt whupped!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BM2 View Post
    MasterKiller's grammar and spelling is better than this post.
    I know. I didn't think that MK was KFF.
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

No, it was a relatively young rattan spear. I think it was more the fact I should have choked up a bit if I was going to go slapping it on asphalt like a *******.

(If I was single, I could have gotten da numbas...LOL....well, I could have gotten 'em anyways, but the last thing this man needs is two wimmins jawing his ear off.)
    Rattan?? I have heard of rattan spears but have not seen them . Where did you get it?? I am surprised that you are not using waxwood. Like JP said, with waxwood, you have to treat it because of wood worms and some climates. Rattan if left out in the weather has a tendency to dry out and become brittle. You should take better care of your weapons.

I really doubt that the real spears used a wax wood shaft anyway which are flimsy and easily snapped. Would you really bet your life on it holding up in battle?
    I had an antique spear head with part of the shaft still in it. It was a dark red, close grain wood. In other words, it was a hardwood. Wax wood is more like the modern wu-shu weapons, more flash.
    VOTE FOR PEDRO '08

Ever notice how virtually everyone agrees that 95% of all traditional schools are crap, but NOBODY ever admits to being in that 5%? Don't judge... your skill may suck also...
    Quote from SevenStar

Quote Originally Posted by BM2 View Post
    I really doubt that the real spears used a wax wood shaft anyway which are flimsy and easily snapped. Would you really bet your life on it holding up in battle?
    I had an antique spear head with part of the shaft still in it. It was a dark red, close grain wood. In other words, it was a hardwood. Wax wood is more like the modern wu-shu weapons, more flash.
    You're correct and many of the spear techniques that you see used would be difficult to impossible to do with a heavier shaft.

I will say that I had a waxwood shaft that was very heavy and durable. I doubt that it would have snapped easily.

I think the main point is that ancient Chinese spear-wielders weren't slapping their spears on asphalt.

Quote Originally Posted by tattooedmonk View Post
    Rattan?? I have heard of rattan spears but have not seen them . Where did you get it?? I am surprised that you are not using waxwood. Like JP said, with waxwood, you have to treat it because of wood worms and some climates. Rattan if left out in the weather has a tendency to dry out and become brittle. You should take better care of your weapons.
    I'm pretty sure that it was rattan. A teacher said we used them because of their flexibility...i.e. they can bend around the opponent's weapon if he blocks, plus, they generate more...I don't know what it is, but it's whipping power....you just shouldn't pound them on concrete to show off to asian chicks....LOL......

I'm pretty sure that it was rattan. A teacher said we used them because of their flexibility...i.e. they can bend around the opponent's weapon if he blocks, plus, they generate more...I don't know what it is, but it's whipping power....you just shouldn't pound them on concrete to show off to asian chicks....LOL......
    I put one of my antique spear heads onto a waxwood shaft. The weight of the real spear head bent the waxwood and made it so sloppy when I TRIED to use it.
    This is a story I have told before.
    My brother was performing a spear demo at the county fair. It was held inside one of the barns at the fairgrounds in June or July and it was very hot and humid.
    I had to work that day and didn't get to see what happened. He had been practicing with my waxwood spear that had the largest diameter shaft that I have ever seen, not a lot of tapering and a large flair at the stub. It had sat at a MA store because no one wanted it but I liked it. For some reason, this day he was using a normal spear. You may already know what happened in that crowded arena.
    During the performance where you flip the spear, have the spear end facing towards your neck/face height and send it towards you as you turn away and send it towards an opponet behind you, it went through his sweaty hands into the crowd
    Two guys were leaning on each side of a wooden support post/column. It hit about head high between them with each of them turning to stare at it.
    After about 3 seconds, the crowd roared its approval of hitting the post between those guys that had been to his back as he had turned
    VOTE FOR PEDRO '08

Quote from SevenStar