View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 579 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 794795295695775785795805815896296791079 ... LastLast
Results 8,671 to 8,685 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Put it up on youtube, wait till its working and then copy n paste the link into a thread.
    Not sure what you mean by automatically...
    the linking process

Quote Originally Posted by tattooedmonk View Post
    the linking process
    Once you cut n paste it, yes it will be automatic for anyone clicking on the link.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by Mas Judt View Post
    I personally dislike schools that try to control students in an unreasonable fashion.
    I do too.

As I've said before, my teachers' "control" extends to the elements of my martial training i.e., what I train and when I train in it, within the confines of their school. They've never had a problem with me working out with people outside of our system or participating in tournaments outside of SD. They've encouraged the crossing of hands with other styles and systems. I have learned other forms from other systems as well. I ask if that is ok, and it was, because it is the polite and respectful thing to do. I think they would have a problem if I didn't take my training with them seriously or if they thought I was just looking to collect forms, but for me the experinece is comparing the methonds of training and the applications behind the movements as opposed to another form in my collection (I rarely keep the form worked up). I've been extremely happy with the open-mindedness that my teachers have had with me comparing notes with other styles.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Once you cut n paste it, yes it will be automatic for anyone clicking on the link.
    Thanks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Pen View Post
    I do too.

As I've said before, my teachers' "control" extends to the elements of my martial training i.e., what I train and when I train in it, within the confines of their school. They've never had a problem with me working out with people outside of our system or participating in tournaments outside of SD. They've encouraged the crossing of hands with other styles and systems. I have learned other forms from other systems as well. I ask if that is ok, and it was, because it is the polite and respectful thing to do. I think they would have a problem if I didn't take my training with them seriously or if they thought I was just looking to collect forms, but for me the experinece is comparing the methonds of training and the applications behind the movements as opposed to another form in my collection (I rarely keep the form worked up). I've been extremely happy with the open-mindedness that my teachers have had with me comparing notes with other styles.
    Do you study with Elder Master Mullins??

Do you study with Elder Master Mullins??
    Yes and his sons. His oldest son, Master Mike Mullins, is my regular teacher. I go see his youngest son and EM Garry for extra classes, special training, sparring days, seminars etc. as I can.
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

People have this funny idea of what CMA should look like based on the way it has been taught and practiced in China for the last 100 years or so, which is demilitarized movements that lack any martial intent. It is no wonder it does not work in a fight.
    Tatoo - Do You Actually Stand Behind These Words?

How common is this belief among the SD faithful?

Does Sin The' say this?

Who else here actually believes this?

You know, it is the spread of nonsense like this, the telling of stories (such as the Shaolin Stelle being an 'honor' versus something paid FOR, the 'we got to see Brandon Lei's back room because we are respected! - versus anybody can if they spend money with him) that really ostracizes you guys.
    www.kungnation.com

Pre-order Kung! Twisted Barbarian Felony from your favorite comic shop!

8. i wasn talking about going into his backroom (brendan's ) i was talking about his level of respect for my teachers and their style

Does Sin The' say this?

I'm sure TTM is referring to the development of modern wushu as organized by the chinese government, like what will be in the olympics. At least, that's what I gathered from his words. Personally, I'm pretty sure Jet Li and Jackie Chan can kick MY ass, so I would disagree w/ TTM on this point.

Grandmaster Sin The, never said anything like that (to my knowledge), and think what you like of the man, but he's not dumb enough to make such a blanket statement about CMA, especially when it can be so easily disproven. No, he's smarter than that. As for what he personally thinks of CMA, you'll have to ask him.
    We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit.
    - Aristotle

The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Lammassu,
    I thought you were going to open your own school?
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Does Sin The' say this?

You know, it is the spread of nonsense like this, the telling of stories (such as the Shaolin Stelle being an 'honor' versus something paid FOR, the 'we got to see Brandon Lei's back room because we are respected! - versus anybody can if they spend money with him) that really ostracizes you guys.
    Yes I do, But do not take it out of context . You know that the arts were demilitarized a while back and have been modified inside China to teach the masses. Especially any of the ones that went to Hong Kong , Taiwan.

I do not know any others outside of the people I trained with.

You said that we practice our art like others that you know of in Indonesia that practice CMA, care to expand on that statement??

I believe that the stories have been misconstrude and mistranslated. The Stele was erected in his honor. This does not mean that it was not paid for. Somebody had to do it.

You can not blame GMS for passing on the stories of his youth. Whether they are true or not does not matter . They are told to convey ideas. For the most part everything is on the up and up( as far as I know) as far as the material being taught goes.

The arts are Chinese in origin. Many of which were n fact created inside or absorbed into the Shaolin Teaching before during and after it's travels with GGMICM .Even other MA schools have these same issues and yet no one seems to care about them this much.

I think most people are jealous.

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Pen View Post
    Yes and his sons. His oldest son, Master Mike Mullins, is my regular teacher. I go see his youngest son and EM Garry for extra classes, special training, sparring days, seminars etc. as I can.
    Cool. I heard he is really good. forget the politics . So you guys wear the "traditional" silk pajamas??

I like the way the EMM's school is set up. The black and red mats are cool. A lot of space.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    Lammassu,
    I thought you were going to open your own school?
    That was the plan originally, then reality b!tch slapped me. There's no way in hell I can raise the neccessary capital to get a business of the ground, and with my less than stellar credit rating, banks will only laugh at me. Also, I noticed the high mortality rate for martial art schools in Chicago, and I sure as hell can't afford this financial lead weight tied around my neck. So if I can't start an SD kwoon up here, then I'll join another CMA kwoon. I'm jonsen for getting into another CMA style anyway!
    We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit.
    - Aristotle

The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Lamassu View Post
    That was the plan originally, then reality b!tch slapped me. There's no way in hell I can raise the neccessary capital to get a business of the ground, and with my less than stellar credit rating, banks will only laugh at me. Also, I noticed the high mortality rate for martial art schools in Chicago, and I sure as hell can't afford this financial lead weight tied around my neck. So if I can't start an SD kwoon up here, then I'll join another CMA kwoon. I'm jonsen for getting into another CMA style anyway!
    Why not start a park program??

Cool. I heard he is really good. forget the politics . So you guys wear the "traditional" silk pajamas??

I like the way the EMM's school is set up. The black and red mats are cool. A lot of space.
    I try to forget about the politics as much as I can.

Our uniforms and cotton/poly blend.