View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 60 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 10505859606162701101605601060 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

You're right MK. I suppose some SDers have gone, but I don't know of it. I know that there's been some SDers at the Battle of Atlanta in the past, but I don't know how they faired (which probably means they weren't outstanding but doesn't mean that they were bad). I've considered going to the TaiJi legacy myself, but last years schedule and injury interferred with me (I wouldn't have done forms anyway, but I would have considered fighting). This year's schedule isn't looking favorable either but it's possible. They have an old man's division down there?
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Originally posted by Judge Pen
    They have an old man's division down there?
    Yeah but you're too young...

Me on the other hand...
    Message: Due to the ongoing Recession, God has decided the light at the end of the tunnel will be shut off due to power costs. That is all.

I'm not only too old, but like MK I'm just too pretty! We'll see who moves slower this weekend!
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

I'm not only too old, but like MK I'm just too pretty! We'll see who moves slower this weekend!
    Cool...
    Message: Due to the ongoing Recession, God has decided the light at the end of the tunnel will be shut off due to power costs. That is all.

They have an old man's division down there?
    Yeah, but it's 35+. So, for the next 3 years, I have to lose to 20 year olds.

Originally posted by MasterKiller
    True...but at the same time, I have yet to see an SD'er at Taiji Legacy. It's the biggest traditional tournament in the Southwest, and there are plenty of SD schools in TX or LA that could represent. Hell, there are people from Mexico City, South Africa, China, England, etc... but no one from the Dallas SD schools can make it? Ever?
    may be because the taichi taught at SD is slightly different than other taichi schools. for yang 24, there are several differences that i've noticed and i only taken taichi for 3 months, well at least here in southern texas.

Originally posted by Jhapa
    may be because the taichi taught at SD is slightly different than other taichi schools. for yang 24, there are several differences that i've noticed and i only taken taichi for 3 months, well at least here in southern texas.
    Taiji Legacy is a traditional Kung Fu tournament, not a Tai Chi tournament. Last year they had about 1,500 competitors in San Shou, Forms, Weapons, Wushu, Shuai Chiao, and Tai Chi divisions. If you guys got out more, you'd know that.

Thats what I don't get, yang 24 is a standardized set.
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

Originally posted by norther practitioner
    Thats what I don't get, yang 24 is a standardized set.
    It's because the entire world except SD does wushu, NP. Even though the 24-step set is wushu.

Originally posted by MasterKiller
    It's because the entire world except SD does wushu, NP. Even though the 24-step set is wushu.
    That's it right there. I don't practice Kung-Fu to look pretty and impress judges. Wushu is cool and all, but I prefer something a bit more practical.

Weather or not SD's origins/lineage can be proven or not, it's an effective fighting art...(IF the student goes the extra mile and actually practices application)..or at least in the way it's tought here in Colorado. I say this from practical, personal experience, not as a parroting of the claims of my teacher.

We're encouraged here to read books and investigate other systems. There's none of the "cult mentality" that I keep reading about here. I guess I should consider myself fortunate to have a good teacher with more than just SD as a background.
    Steel sharpens on rock. Man sharpens on man.

While it is standardized wushu, that is a form that I have used with some success in push hands comps around the country. Well that and two moves from the long form.
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

well, to clarify, I wasn't speaking specifically of Combined 24. I practice it, and use it to great sucess in application.
    Steel sharpens on rock. Man sharpens on man.

I've considered going to the TaiJi legacy myself, but last years schedule and injury interferred with me (I wouldn't have done forms anyway, but I would have considered fighting). This year's schedule isn't looking favorable either but it's possible. [/B]
    I'm in the same boat. Since I've got family in Austin it's a doable trip for me. However it looks like I'll be in Denver for two weeks in june and I don't really want to turn around and go to Dallas the next month.

To address the other point made, why none of the SD schools in Texas/LA attend. I think they would do themselves a favor by attending and competing. Better to be out on the floor than sitting on the bench.

-Will

Am I missing something?

I dont see what the big deal is about competing in tournaments. I have competed in open as well as closed tournaments, I have brought home trophies but not much more. Yes you do learn techn. that will get you points and how to perform your katas to impress the judges, but how does that help me in a real situation.
    In my opinion all it does is hender me. What I mean by that is you dont fight in a tourn the same as you would on the street. So what benefits do I get for the time spent as well as the money to compete in somthing that has such a small influence in my training. And if you do practice to do beter in tourn. then you are practicing something that in a real situation will get you hurt, or your shortcutting your katas to the point that you are loosing the techn. that are there. I find my time is beter spent studying my mat. and getting together with freinds and colleagues to practice.

Originally posted by serene_dragon
    Am I missing something?

So what benefits do I get for the time spent as well as the money to compete in somthing that has such a small influence in my training.
    Alot. By going to open and closed tournaments you get to meet people and make friends, maybe enemies, contacts etc. This allows you to get a view into other people's mindset. You might have to fight someone on the street from another style. Getting an idea of what to expect from them is a step ahead. While you may not get that idea from sparring with them once at a tournament, through the sharing of thoughts and ideas with people you meet you can.

Tournaments benefit you in many more ways. I don't train my forms to impress judges, Tournaments give me a reason to pick a form and work it over and over again, not to flash it up, not to make it what someone wants to see, but make it closer to how it was taught. Who cares about a piece of plastic on a little wooden base? As far as sparring goes, I learn something at every tournament I attend. Whether it's how to counter a technique or something as simple as bringing something to drink with you and keeping it close to the ring for between fights(learned that one at my second tournament). While the things you learn may not be directly appliable on the street, who cares? Your still learning something. That's the point isn't it.

-Will