View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 639 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 1395395896296376386396406416496897391139 ... LastLast
Results 9,571 to 9,585 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Eastern State Mental Hospital Psych Ward, Room 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    Did my first kip up yesterday. It was actually really easy, and I can do them effortlessly now. All I had to do was make sure I straightened my knees when I rolled back and it was easy as pie.........and I laughed because that little knee-jerk reaction was all I needed to do and I could have been doing 'em since day one.
    Are you doing your kip ups with hands or no hands. Try doing them with no hands. When you roll back on your back and your feet are behind your head, push up on your knees with your hands. the rest of the kip up is the same as how you do them with hands (as far as the knee and leg part goes).
    Last edited by mkriii; 04-22-2008 at 08:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    KC/TTM,

Can you guys tell me what an average class you run looks like?

This is what we do, generally.

Circuit warm-ups (10 minutes).

Pummeling (3 to 5 minutes).

Drill applications. One of the coaches demonstrates a technique, everyone partners up and drills it against their opponent about 30%. We go over three or four techniques each class. (25 minutes).

More resistance. If we are striking, at this point we put on protective equipment. We change partners and work the techniques with more resistance (50-60%). I use an interval timer (usually 2 minute rounds) and everyone works until the round is over. (25 minutes).

Live sparring. After a short rest period we run live rounds, using various intervals. If we are striking, we generally run 3 minute rounds. Grappling-only rounds are usually 5 to 6 minutes. Most of time, everyone fights 2 or 3 consecutive rounds in a round-robin rotation, then has to do one round on the heavy bag before they can rest. (25 minutes).

Cool down. Immediately after sparring, we run Tabata or HIIT rounds (5 minutes). This is vastly different than how a typical TMA program is taught.

When I teach class we usually do 10 minutes of warm ups. Then do 5 - 10 minutes stretching. Then 5-10 minutes of kicks and strikes. Then we partner up and go over self defense techniques such as escaping a wrist grab or hair grab, escape from a head lock, etc...... I'll teach one or two new self defense techniques. Then if its the night to sparr then i have two students get up to sparr for about 5 minutes. Then I get 2 more up to sparr. I do this untill all have sparred. At the end of class we stretch for 5 minutes then stand up and bow out. If its forms night then I go over the form they are learning and walk around and correct anyone I see doing something wrong. I then teach them 3 or 4 new moves of the form. I let them work on that for about 15 to 20 minutes then I have them sit against the wall and I call them up one at a time to do the form. then we all bow out.
    Last edited by mkriii; 04-22-2008 at 08:41 AM.

Wookie......hows the kip ups going?

Better. Good tips, thanks.

So, is Shaolin Do for real? Just thought I'd ask, plus maybe I'll be the first on page 600.
    When seconds count the cops are only minutes away!

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    Sorry, sometimes I forget you guys have that special secret internal sauce where people throw themselves and you don't have to do anything except collect tuition.

Yes Yes Yes U betcha KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !

7. i think so

8. question for any old timers

i am looking for video of gmt doing pa kua so i can match it to what i was taught

anyone able to help out?

I was always skeptical, but if we're talking about the base of the MA's they teach, the techniques, application, character, philosophy, meditations, and the sense of brotherhood---yeah, it's for real.

Which Pa Kua Dragon, Snake, 8 Animal ,Classical ???? KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !

Has anyone seen any of the Golden Snake yet? I heard some of you guys saw a little of it....how would you describe it?

Has anyone seen any of the Golden Snake yet? I heard some of you guys saw a little of it....how would you describe it?
    I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you.

Seriously, I haven't seen it. I'm not sure if the Elder Masters have or not, but we could always speculate!
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Quote Originally Posted by kungfujunky View Post
    question for any old timers

i am looking for video of gmt doing pa kua so i can match it to what i was taught

anyone able to help out?
    The old KET has some classical pa kua on it, but I don't think its enough to be reference quality.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

The second half of the Yin side of meteor fist is the precursor to the Golden Snake system......it's pretty much all golden snake postures. It's my favorite part of Meteor Fist.....really cool.
    BQ
    Last edited by Baqualin; 04-23-2008 at 04:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Pen View Post
    The old KET has some classical pa kua on it, but I don't think its enough to be reference quality.
    KET isn't releasing any of that old material, because it's too old and they don't have it archived anymore......LOL.......I asked 'em awhile back, b/c I think the seminars I've received on DVD are pretty good and am looking for more.