View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 648 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 1485485986386466476486496506586987481148 ... LastLast
Results 9,706 to 9,720 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Quote Originally Posted by Citong Shifu View Post

One of these days I'm going to get down to good ole Kentucky and see what all the fuss is about, lol... I'm really interested in meeting with BQ and Bruce.. Who knows, maybe try a class or two, to see if you guys can make me puke, I believe someones offering a payday if they cant ....

Anyway, you guys take care.
    CS
    i am actually in atlanta. please look me up if you are ever here.
    best,

bruce

Happy indeed we live,
    friendly amidst the hostile.
    Amidst hostile men
    we dwell free from hatred.

http://youtube.com/profile?user=brucereiter

One of these days I'm going to get down to good ole Kentucky and see what all the fuss is about, lol... I'm really interested in meeting with BQ and Bruce.. Who knows, maybe try a class or two, to see if you guys can make me puke, I believe someones offering a payday if they cant ....

CS[/QUOTE]

Please do....I'm easy to find..... the internal classes won't make you puke...maybe float
    BQ

Quote Originally Posted by brucereiter View Post
    Hey Bruce,
    Haven't talked to you since you left the nest...hope all is well and still looking foward to meet up someday.
    BQ

Quote Originally Posted by brucereiter View Post
    Hey guys,
    I see what all of you are saying now... I guess with all the he said, she said, the thread kind of went south, etc....
    The Style Doesn't Make The Master Famous. The Master Makes The Style Famous!

Quote Originally Posted by Baqualin View Post

CS
    Please do....I'm easy to find..... the internal classes won't make you puke...maybe float
    BQ[/QUOTE]

LOL, haven't done that in awhile.... Last time I floated, I was 14 in the back seat of my 17 year old girlfriend's car......... Ooooops, a story for a diffrent time ...

Take care.
    The Style Doesn't Make The Master Famous. The Master Makes The Style Famous!

Quote Originally Posted by Baqualin View Post
    Hey Bruce,
    Haven't talked to you since you left the nest...hope all is well and still looking foward to meet up someday.
    BQ
    hi bagualin,

all is good. i really love the gao bagua i am learning. of coarse i still practice my favorite things i learned at the csc. i will put some clips up in a few months (i dont want to embarrass my new teacher yet with my newbieness in the system lol :-) )

i will talk to you soon ...
    best,

bruce

Happy indeed we live,
    Amidst hostile men

"Pain heals, chicks dig scars..Glory lasts forever"......

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Tiger View Post
    banjobilly mislabeled the clip. what he meant to say is this form is the "original" form from jiang rong qiao.
    best,

bruce

Happy indeed we live,
    Amidst hostile men

Nice hair and uniform. The movements were very precise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

BTW...this thread RULEZ! How else can I get all this cool info on the art?

LOL.....

Anyways, I was cruising Hiang The's site, and I was looking at the set lists set under the "Tai Peng" heading. Note the ones in bolded print:

TAI PENG (BIRD)

Tai Peng Sin Kune/ Big Bird Opens Its Wings
    Tai Peng Fan Chè/ Big Bird Flips Its Wings
    Tai Peng Chan Se/ Big Bird Spreads Its Wings
    (Above 3 Kata Set)Tai Peng Chan Se

Tai Peng Chèin Wo/ Big Bird Builds Its Nest
    Tai Peng Se Wo/ Big Bird Watches Its Nest
    Tai Peng Pao Wo/ Big Bird Defends/Protects Its Nest
    (Above 3 Kata Set)Tai Peng Pao Wo
    Tai Peng Sao/ Yin Big Bird Sweeps the Clouds
    Tai Peng Khe Yin/ Big Bird Cuts the Clouds
    Tai Peng Wu Yin/ Big Bird Dances On the Clouds
    Tai Peng Po Yin/ Big Bird Strikes Through the Clouds
    Tai Peng Chuen Hè (Hur)/ Big Bird Aims/Stalks
    Tai Peng Luo Tien/ Big Bird Desends/Drops From the Sky
    Tai Peng Chua Chién/ Big Bird Claw
    Tai Peng Kung/ Big Bird Attacks
    Tai Peng Foo/ Big Bird Trap
    Tai Peng Se/ Big Bird Vision
    Tai Peng Ching/ Big Bird Spirit
    Tai Peng Chien/ Big Bird Form

So, he lists our three brown belt birds as sets of the Tai Peng we get at blue belt. Also, he puts our crane forms under the Tai Peng heading (named slightly differently, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were the same). Not saying one is right, and one is wrong, just that perhaps our brown belt birds are Tai Peng? They are related somewhat in their opening/closing, rising/descending....but Tai Peng Sin Kune is rather different....the birds are very circular.
    Last edited by Shaolin Wookie; 05-24-2008 at 11:45 AM.

cjurakpt Guest
    "tai peng" is not bird or crane - it is a roc

Quote Originally Posted by cjurakpt View Post
    "tai peng" is not bird or crane - it is a roc
    I think they're analogues, but not the same thing entirely.

"In the northern darkness there is a fish and his name is K'un. The K'un is so huge I don't know how many thousand li he measures. He changes and becomes a bird whose name is P'eng. The back of the P'eng measures I don't know how many thousand li across and, when he rises up and flies off, his wings are like clouds all over the sky. When the sea begins to move, this bird sets off for the southern darkness, which is the Lake of Heaven. " - Chuang Tzu

If you keep reading the Central Shaolin page, they list the same bird and crane forms that are in SD, seperately from the Tai Peng system. I don't think they are the same thing, just named similarly. Actually, Chan Ie, that we have been told means "spreading wings", actually uses the character for feathers, not wings.

Also, according to the characters written by GM Sin for Tai Peng Sin Kune, they don't say "great bird opens wings" exactly. 太鵬伸拳
    Actually the character for "kune" is quan (chien), fist. So I guess this one is using the cantonese pronounciation rather than the fukien and occasional mandarin that we see in all the other form names. The character for "sin" looks to be "shen" in mandarin, which is like "extend". So great bird extending fist? Maybe "opens wings" is what the extending character implies...but it is not the same characters that are used for Chan Ie (Yu)演鸽, which is spreading feathers, or white crane spreads wings in the five animal form, which is bai he chan chi(se) 白鹤演翅.

Of course, the scribbly hand written and photcopied characters that are handed down to use are hard to read a lot of the time. I may have some things wrong...but fourth character of tai peng sin kune 拳 definately looks like the same character at the end of lohan chien, it is easy to compare because they are right next to eachother on the document. It looks nothing like the character for wings 翅, which is found in the white crane forms.

Not that the names are super important. We can call them whatever we want, really (and we have been for several decades now).
    Last edited by Leto; 05-24-2008 at 05:28 PM.
    "I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the flame of Anor. The dark fire will not avail you, flame of Udun! Go back to the shadow, you cannot pass!"

cjurakpt Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    I think they're analogues, but not the same thing entirely.
    they are "both" giant mythological birds, just from different cultures (that communicated regularly with each other throughout history via the Silk Road); the point is that a "peng" is definitely not a crane nor any other sort of actual bird;

I've seen the first three SD tai peng forms from long ago - they're definitely not the brown belt forms. If memory serves number three is a particularly nice-looking little form. They're all very short.
    Meanwhile, I'll be looking for God in this box of Cheerios - Crushing Fist