View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 654 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 1545546046446526536546556566647047541154 ... LastLast
Results 9,796 to 9,810 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Quote Originally Posted by Yao Sing View Post
    Right now I have an inversion table hoping that will work.
    Does the inversion table seem to help at all? I've been wondering about one of those......

I really don't like hanging upside down and it hurts so I can't stay there long (most claim it feels good but I seem to be the opposite with everything) but it does seem to be helping. Also loading up on Glucosamine so I don't know how much to contribute to each but I feel like it could eventually releive the problem.

I think decompression treatments would fix it quicker with less discomfort so I still want to do that but in the mean time I'm sticking with the table and supplements.

Got the table for $80 on Amazon so it's definitely worth the time and money.
    When seconds count the cops are only minutes away!

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    Sorry, sometimes I forget you guys have that special secret internal sauce where people throw themselves and you don't have to do anything except collect tuition.

Eastern State Mental Hospital Psych Ward, Room 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Baqualin View Post
    WOW...take it easy man!!!!
    Yeah, but I'd like to start doing some light tia chi in about a month or so. I think that tia chi would be helful healthwise. What do you think? If I came there to you, you wouldn't hold anything against me for what I said about SD in the past would you? LOL. I had the fusion done on May 19th.

Quote Originally Posted by mkriii View Post
    Yeah, but I'd like to start doing some light tia chi in about a month or so. I think that tia chi would be helful healthwise. What do you think?

It would be a big help.

If I came there to you, you wouldn't hold anything against me for what I said about SD in the past would you? LOL. I had the fusion done on May 19th.
    I'm not like that.....I care only about the art & helping people have a better (healthy) lifestyle.
    BQ

Seems like everyone has a bad back

Please tell me that you all didn't get your bad backs from practicing MA???

Anybody know?

Who wrote the SD wikipedia entry? I wonder if there's a "controversy" section for every CMA school.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Noob View Post
    Please tell me that you all didn't get your bad backs from practicing MA???
    Not me....when I worked as a Geologist I hurt mine lifting full rock core boxes.
    BQ

But the ACL....broken wrist, ribs and a few other things Yes

I recieved my bad back courtesy of a Chuck Norris roundhouse. He's the only man alive that could hurt the wook.

Okay....so what's the major difference between the short forms we teach as the core of Shaolin-Do, and what's contained in the vid below?:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGJoj...eature=related

I don't get it. It's the same exact thing, only we don't hold one arm back like we're fencing or something.... If anything, the only fault you could lay with the short forms is that they're more natural than tan tui, and strike in more cogent and reasonable manners. Oh well....

SDISCOOL: I know you've posted it before, but what's the variation of our Tai Chi 64 and it's origin?

I have this book I never really read that I picked up off my shelf the other day...it's the THIRTEEN TREATISES OF CHENG TZU.....I think it's Cheng Man Ch'ing.....great read. It looks like our form, and his applications describe our applications...

BTW, while we're talking about books, if any of you haven't read Meir Sahar's book Shaolin Monastery, it's a great read.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    Okay....so what's the major difference between the short forms we teach as the core of Shaolin-Do, and what's contained in the vid below?:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGJoj...eature=related

I don't get it. It's the same exact thing, only we don't hold one arm back like we're fencing or something.... If anything, the only fault you could lay with the short forms is that they're more natural than tan tui, and strike in more cogent and reasonable manners. Oh well....

I agree . The arm hanging out there is just plain weird to me . I just learned the 10 roads and the 12 roads versions . I modified them a little to be more like our 30 in regards to the hanging arm . I know their are various reasons as to why they do it that way but, it does not seem to work in application unless you are using it as if you were holding someone elses arm or whatever.

I wonder if it is something that was mis translated and mis taught over the years .

To me it just looks silly....no offense. I still think they are a valuable tool in the CMA arsenal.

SDISCOOL: I know you've posted it before, but what's the variation of our Tai Chi 64 and it's origin?
    in my opinion the yang 64 tai chi chuan we learned in shaolin do is a modified version of cheng man chings "37" form.

37 posture Yang Taiji form developed and performed by Chen Manching.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USJPmCZ6Efc

the history is shaolin do is unclear but i have come to this conclusion based of various people i have worked with who practice that style, video evidence, cheng man chings books and not finding any other reference to any other yang tai chi chuan having 37 (or 38 depending on how you count it) postures in the same order as we do.

some examples of "changes"
    sd does hands wave in the clouds with no stepping
    sd does turn and sweep the lotus as a side thrust/sweep
    there are a few other differences but those are the biggest.

in my opinion it was a very popular style in indonesia and is likely the ie chang ming in fact taught it to sin kwang the but in my opinion very unlikely that "su kong tai jin" taught it to ie chang ming.

just call me bruce ... i prefer to use my name ...
    Last edited by brucereiter; 06-20-2008 at 12:28 AM.
    best,

bruce

Happy indeed we live,
    friendly amidst the hostile.
    Amidst hostile men
    we dwell free from hatred.

http://youtube.com/profile?user=brucereiter

Quote Originally Posted by tattooedmonk View Post
    I agree . The arm hanging out there is just plain weird to me . I just learned the 10 roads and the 12 roads versions . I modified them a little to be more like our 30 in regards to the hanging arm . I know their are various reasons as to why they do it that way but, it does not seem to work in application unless you are using it as if you were holding someone elses arm or whatever.

I wonder if it is something that was mis translated and mis taught over the years .

To me it just looks silly....no offense. I still think they are a valuable tool in the CMA arsenal.
    Tai Mantis has some basic drills like these and although the movements are not exactly the same I'm certain the theory is. These drills are strictly exercises designed to even out both sides of the body and usually taught at the beginner level.

Quote Originally Posted by brucereiter View Post
    in my opinion the yang 64 tai chi chuan we learned in shaolin do is a modified version of cheng man chings "37" form.

37 posture Yang Taiji form developed and performed by Chen Manching.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USJPmCZ6Efc

the history is shaolin do is unclear but i have come to this conclusion based of various people i have worked with who practice that style, video evidence, cheng man chings books and not finding any other reference to any other yang tai chi chuan having 37 (or 38 depending on how you count it) postures in the same order as we do.

some examples of "changes"
    sd does hands wave in the clouds with no stepping
    sd does turn and sweep the lotus as a side thrust/sweep
    there are a few other differences but those are the biggest.

in my opinion it was a very popular style in indonesia and is likely the ie chang ming in fact taught it to sin kwang the but in my opinion very unlikely that "su kong tai jin" taught it to ie chang ming.

just call me bruce ... i prefer to use my name ...
    So, when you practice your Yang 64, after the slanting position in section three, do you consider the "slight" resetting of the back foot a cloud hand step, or do you just consider it an adjustment for the horse stance/cloud hands? How far do you step in before resetting?

Quote Originally Posted by SDJerry View Post
    Tai Mantis has some basic drills like these and although the movements are not exactly the same I'm certain the theory is. These drills are strictly exercises designed to even out both sides of the body and usually taught at the beginner level.
    I have seen a variety of different versions of "Tan Tui" . I do not think I have seen the Tai Mantis version.

When GMS taught mantis he also taught the 10 road form of Mantis tan tui .( I liked this version of tan tui very much , great apps.)

I understand that tan tui is a common term and is used to describe different things . I know there are standard forms of tan tui and some not so standard. Some long some short. I understand also that not all forms are meant to martially applicable but, the skill needs to have smooth transfer to martial application tomake it's use valid. I do not see the arm hanging out abducted from the body as transferable skill unless, like I said ,that it was used to hold onto your opponent.

So, when you practice your Yang 64, after the slanting position in section three, do you consider the "slight" resetting of the back foot a cloud hand step, or do you just consider it an adjustment for the horse stance/cloud hands? How far do you step in before resetting?
    hi mr wookie :-),

yes it could be considered as such. i step in about shoulders width but right knee is still bent. where it is different is there is no step behind to your left like most yang style forms. they way i/we practice it is to study the shifting of your mass from one leg to the other in time with your hands "waiving".

this is how i practice and understand section 3.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynXWQYo5ZFY
    does that answer your question?

i hope that helps.
    best,

bruce

Happy indeed we live,
    friendly amidst the hostile.
    Amidst hostile men
    we dwell free from hatred.

http://youtube.com/profile?user=brucereiter