View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 677 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 1775776276676756766776786796877277771177 ... LastLast
Results 10,141 to 10,155 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Quote Originally Posted by mkriii View Post
    http://www.dragonslist.com/discussio...karate-27.html

post #263 on the thread entitled "wanted: info on Shaolin Do" posted by wonderingsoul says that I am correct in what I say. He even goes on to ask how he can legitimize SD so other styles won't laugh when SD is mentioned. Read it yourself.
    Sorry bud, but still incorrect. I just had a fellow classmate test from 3rd to 4th, and none of the material he was required to learn was gained via a seminar. I am not sure where those two individual in posts 261 and 262 got their information, but since neither one of them is a high level black belt, they most likely don't know what they are talking about. Judge Pen can confirm this I am sure, as well as some others.

Eastern State Mental Hospital Psych Ward, Room 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Eternal Student View Post
    Sorry bud, but still incorrect. I just had a fellow classmate test from 3rd to 4th, and none of the material he was required to learn was gained via a seminar. I am not sure where those two individual in posts 261 and 262 got their information, but since neither one of them is a high level black belt, they most likely don't know what they are talking about. Judge Pen can confirm this I am sure, as well as some others.
    Okay bud, I'll consede that you are right. I just wanted you to know where I was getting this info and that I wasn't just pulling it out of my ass. The information that I spew comes from sources. I don't just make them up because I think it sounds cool. When you have several people telling you something is true and they do that particular style you believe them.
    Especially when its more than 1 person saying it. But now you get to see what other people besides me think about SD.
    Last edited by mkriii; 09-12-2008 at 11:48 AM.

Eastern State Mental Hospital Psych Ward, Room 12
    I guess okay. How are you is the question? Better yet, who are you?
    Last edited by mkriii; 09-12-2008 at 12:24 PM.

Same Song, Different Channel

mkriii - I just read the entire thread that you linked. It was very similar to this thread only smaller. There were even folks over there that thought you were clueless and needed to move on from the apparent SD trauma you endured when you were thirteen. As I've said, I don't care if SD's history is true or not. It's none of my business (or anyone's for that matter) why the The' brothers had a falling out. That's family business that should be left to family. I wasn't around for the infamous Four Seasons vs. SD fight, so I could care less what supposedly did or did not happen. It's all hearsay to me, and not relevant to my training. I have never been charged any "hidden fees". I have never had to attend a seminar to advance in rank. I was not required to join the SDA. I have yet to see any of these alleged practices first hand at any of the SD schools I have visited. As I said, until I do I will treat all such claims as BS.

Here's how it is where I train.

At my SD school we spar with medium to heavy body contact, none to light head contact. You can spar harder than that if you want, but we encourage you to pad up before hand. We are NOT taught to stop two inches before our target. I believe that others who have said this was how things are taught are misinterpreting the "snap" principle that is taught when learning basic punching. SD does have a lot of forms, however at my school we do not simply move from form to form. Proper body mechanics, stances, and alignment are heavily emphasised. We are also shown various practical applications for the movements we learn, and we drill those applications on a fairly regular basis. These are the reasons why I train and will continue to train there. I am not some clueless noob that stumbled blindly into my MA training. My school provided all I asked for and more. The rest of this BS is just that...BS
    "Repugnant is a creature that would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of it's fleeting time here." - Tool

www.bentmonk.com

Quote Originally Posted by Eternal Student View Post
    Confirmed. None of the material that I have tested for was required to be taught at a seminar. Heck, I was almost a 2nd black before I went to a seminar.

Some schools may offer seminars and festivals more often, but there are only 2 a year under my teachers. We, the rank and file, are encouraged to attend, but not required. I usually attend because its respectful to support your teacher and a good way to see people that I don't get to see very often.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

i have also never had to get anything for rank at a seminar?
    ...or is there something i have missed a glimpse of phantoms in the mist. Traveling down a dusty road bent forward with this heavy load..

i do know that some of the seminar forms may be used later on for rank at some spot, but by that time they have been shown out widely in regular class settings?
    ...or is there something i have missed a glimpse of phantoms in the mist. Traveling down a dusty road bent forward with this heavy load..

Quote Originally Posted by shen ku View Post
    i do know that some of the seminar forms may be used later on for rank at some spot, but by that time they have been shown out widely in regular class settings?
    Most correct response so far.
    BQ

Quote Originally Posted by shen ku View Post
    i have also never had to get anything for rank at a seminar?
    Correct.
    BQ

Quote Originally Posted by mkriii View Post
    http://www.dragonslist.com/discussio...karate-27.html

post #263 on the thread entitled "wanted: info on Shaolin Do" posted by wonderingsoul says that I am correct in what I say. He even goes on to ask how he can legitimize SD so other styles won't laugh when SD is mentioned. Read it yourself.
    Mark,
    You still need to learn how to read.
    BQ

Seminar forms have been added to upper level rank advancement, after the fact...if you didn't attend the seminar...it will be taught in your regular class at no extra charge....by the time you need it.....years later.....example, I need Pakua spear for my next internal test....took the seminar years ago before it was required....I just wanted to learn the form and have a fun day with GM Sin & all the other SD friends.....now I need it and Pakua spear has been taught in regular class ......no extra charge....I know, I helped teach it.
    BQ

The lethality of a technique is in the way it is trained I have trained in many styles and with many instructors and at this time SD is the most lehal because when I train i train to kill haha just a pun KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !

Blog Entries

Master Reid

Anyone know anything about Master Reid? After watching that video, seems like he'd be a stuff sun of a gun to handle.

master reid is a very nice man (from what time i was around him) he seems to study his art very well, and his skills are another story , just from my limited time i was around him, but most of all, very kind person and real

Depending on what you call a "seminar", the CSC organization in the west does have testing requirements that are taught in the form of seminars or special classes, which are taught once or twice a year on a Sunday. Other extra cost classes will last for an entire month, with four sessions that take place before regular Saturday classes each week. These are mainly the forms for advanced black belts, and are always needed for advancement. These extra classes used to be 40-60 dollars depending on how long they lasted, though the price may have gone up now that the basic prices for all classes have gone up pretty much universally. If you've seen a particular class once, it's half price any other time you go to it.
    Brown Belt is the first time this happens, and again for all the black belt levels. I chin ching and san he chin are taught together as a special class twice a year, so you need to take that one before your first brown belt test. 37(64) Yang taichi is taught in this way, once or twice a year. Almost everything required to grade from second black and up is taught in the form of special classes that cost extra on top of normal class fees, including all the hsing i material, all but one of the jian forms, all the hua to's qi gong, the hua fist forms, the drunken forms, etc.

This is where that "rumor" must have come from, because it's true. The masters and some teachers might waive fees for students who are having a hard time, and assistant instuctors who can "work it off". But officially, it costs extra to get the advanced material.
    "I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the flame of Anor. The dark fire will not avail you, flame of Udun! Go back to the shadow, you cannot pass!"