View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 689 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 1895896396796876886896906916997397891189 ... LastLast
Results 10,321 to 10,335 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Pen View Post
    Depends on the target. In Ong BAk, I was a little bemused with that technique because he was striking down on the top of the head. My number one rule is strike hard to soft. An chop is more versatile because the collar-bone is vulnerable as is the throat and neck. To me, the jump is a way to cover ground (a suggestion if you will), but the principal of the technique is the metal element; the chopping force. Granted it can be done with the elbow, but its easier to change the angle of a chop.
    The center of the top of the skull is considered a weak spot due to the way your skull develops and hardens with age. I do admit though that it might be difficult to generate the required amount of force while in the air.

As far as attacking the collar bone, I think there are better ways than illustrated in that move. I don't like the angle of attack and the hand guarding the ribs definitely displays that it's intended to be used while jumping. If you are in the air you would be more concerned about protecting your ribs than if you were on the ground. If it were a standing attack, and the jump was meant to cover distance, your other hand would probably be protecting the jaw instead of the ribs. Know what I mean?

Depends on the target. In Ong BAk, I was a little bemused with that technique because he was striking down on the top of the head. My number one rule is strike hard to soft. An chop is more versatile because the collar-bone is vulnerable as is the throat and neck. To me, the jump is a way to cover ground (a suggestion if you will), but the principal of the technique is the metal element; the chopping force. Granted it can be done with the elbow, but its easier to change the angle of a chop.
    Speed of the jump + force of gravity + Iron Bone elbow = nasty....an ax not a scalpel......kinda like splitting wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Baqualin View Post
    Speed of the jump + force of gravity + Iron Bone elbow = nasty....an ax not a scalpel......kinda like splitting wood.
    I'm not saying it couldn't work, but I like the accuracy and versitility of the hand for that type of attack.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

I'm not saying it couldn't work, but I like the accuracy and versitility of the hand for that type of attack.
    I agree....just adding to the versitility of 10......you could even make it a forearm/ elbow to the face.......sorry Chen Tai Chi has me thinking alot about elbows lately.
    BQ

Quote Originally Posted by SDJerry View Post
    The center of the top of the skull is considered a weak spot due to the way your skull develops and hardens with age. I do admit though that it might be difficult to generate the required amount of force while in the air.

As far as attacking the collar bone, I think there are better ways than illustrated in that move. I don't like the angle of attack and the hand guarding the ribs definitely displays that it's intended to be used while jumping. If you are in the air you would be more concerned about protecting your ribs than if you were on the ground. If it were a standing attack, and the jump was meant to cover distance, your other hand would probably be protecting the jaw instead of the ribs. Know what I mean?
    The left hand could be a bridging or pulling action instead of a blocking action. It's always bothered me to think one could block a stout side kick with the palm of their hand. I would like to see someone try to block Master Mullins' side kick that way.
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

The Chinese say one ounce can move a thousand pounds with the right foot work that is possible with any kick or punch. KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !

The left hand could be a bridging or pulling action instead of a blocking action. It's always bothered me to think one could block a stout side kick with the palm of their hand. I would like to see someone try to block Master Mullins' side kick that way.
    I'm not putting my hand in front of any of his kicks...front side or whatever
    BQ

i'll put my hand in front of his kick................ and beg him not to kick me
    ...or is there something i have missed a glimpse of phantoms in the mist. Traveling down a dusty road bent forward with this heavy load..

Short form number 1

To all the SD people, what are the principals and applications to short form number one. Where are it's hidden (i.e. non-apparent) techniques. Why is it the foundation of or curriculim? Talk about it.

Simplicity

To all the SD people, what are the principals and applications to short form number one. Where are it's hidden (i.e. non-apparent) techniques. Why is it the foundation of or curriculim? Talk about it.
    Short form number one introduces proper body alignment, and power generation. The bow stance aligns and stretches the body. In this position the hips will be forced to move when punching. This helps the concept of generating power with the hips become second nature.

Blocking the head while punching, introduces the principle of simultaneous attack and defense.

The downward block and step through introduce the principle of deflecting force rather than blocking it, and allowing one technique to flow naturally into the next.

All effective MA techniques are built upon a foundation of solid body structure, proper body alignment, power generation, effective offense/defense, and proper body mechanics.

Short form number one teaches the basics of this solid foundation in a few very simple movements. I believe that is why it is one of the core techniques in SD.
    "Repugnant is a creature that would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of it's fleeting time here." - Tool

www.bentmonk.com

Quote Originally Posted by BentMonk View Post
    Short form number one introduces proper body alignment, and power generation. The bow stance aligns and stretches the body. In this position the hips will be forced to move when punching. This helps the concept of generating power with the hips become second nature.

Blocking the head while punching, introduces the principle of simultaneous attack and defense.

The downward block and step through introduce the principle of deflecting force rather than blocking it, and allowing one technique to flow naturally into the next.

All effective MA techniques are built upon a foundation of solid body structure, proper body alignment, power generation, effective offense/defense, and proper body mechanics.

Short form number one teaches the basics of this solid foundation in a few very simple movements. I believe that is why it is one of the core techniques in SD.
    You can't really add much to the above....well said.

Passing It On

Quote Originally Posted by Baqualin View Post
    You can't really add much to the above....well said.
    Thank you sir. I have a great teacher, but you already knew that.
    "Repugnant is a creature that would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of it's fleeting time here." - Tool

www.bentmonk.com

Quote Originally Posted by BentMonk View Post

There's also the downward block after the initial punch. I never even thought about the practical application to it until I threw a snap kick at my partner while sparring in class, and he blocks down like in sf#1; driving his elbow into the top of my foot *ouch*. After that, I was impressed by his application of such a simple motion, as I limped over to the benches to tend to my foot.
    We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit.
    - Aristotle

The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

SF # 1 a defense against a grab with joint lock' or locks in place or closing then a throw KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !

?? have any of you seen master nance's way of working sk#1 ,,he has some very good things to share?
    ...or is there something i have missed a glimpse of phantoms in the mist. Traveling down a dusty road bent forward with this heavy load..