View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 7 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 5678917571075071007 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Brad Guest
    One thing I've been wondering, are Liu He Ba Fa and Waterboxing the same system? There's a guy here in Colombus who teaches Waterboxing but I haven't had a chance to talk to him yet. All I know is that it's supposed to be based off of a combination of Taiji, Xingyi, & Bagua and very few actually know it well enough to teach it.

MonkeySlap Too Guest

WTS

Hey Willow, I'll eMail you my number at some point today - I am running and on the road, but if you leave me yours, I'll definitely call back.

I saw your post on Park Bok Nam, and I'd be happy to share notes with you.

Brad
    Liu Ho Pa Fa is often called 'Water Boxing'. Be wary of the Modern Wushu version.

Many people teach it, but the full knowledge of the art is held by Wai Lun Choi. Choi pretty much knows who 'has' it or not, and what the different teachers skill levels are. He's a real nice guy, and very honest.

I am a big beleiver in luck. The more I work, the more luck I have.

Fu-Pow Guest

This just in: Shaolin-do Believers "6", Shaolin-Do Non-Believers "41"

There you have it folks. Out of 46 literate members reporting...and one guy who just passed out on his mouse. 41 believe Shaolin-Do to be a fraud perpetuated by Sin The. And 6 of you hapless souls believe it to be the real deal. More "hard" statistical evidence that Shaolin-do has no direct link to the Shaolin temple. What more would it take to convince you guys...for gosh sakes!!!!
    Fu-Pow

Fu-Pow

"Choy Lay Fut Kung Fu does not encourage its students to abuse or harm others with no reason. Nevertheless, in times when Kung Fu must be performed, Choy Lay Fut requires the student to change from a gentleman into a fierce and cold fighter."

-Lee Koon Hung,
    CLF:The Dynamic Art of Fighting

Radhnoti Guest
    Wow, who can argue with statistics like that, huh?
    Anyone who wants to can check out his post, my objection to the wording is there. The wording should have been, "Who here dislikes/hates/loathes/generally any negative emotions Shaolin-Do?"
    What a shock, SD isn't too popular on these boards. :rolleyes:

-Radhnoti

The Willow Sword Guest

FuPow and all the others

You have got to be Fu# kidding me man. do you actually think that a poll of biased opinions on ONE forum is gonna sway any of US SD disciples to revert change or repent what you consider to be our fake ,,fraudulent kungfu? Are you that Inept at thinking? :rolleyes:
    MAny Respects, Willow Sword.

Whatever you think i am or want me to be,,, i am.
    oh and,,,Jesus loves you, everyone else thinks you are an a$.

Ironpig Guest

Hmmmm..

Whatever...

Why argue the point?

They will not alter the advertisement,
    heck, if I could sell more donuts by putting the "shoalin" name on it I would.

Get your Shoalin Donuts here! Bohdidharma bagels! Abbot apple struedel! Authentic Shoalin handed down from the secret temple in germany!

In reality, the best thing to do is to encourage people to practice and to learn. If the students there feel they are being given something of value...who are we to question it?

I would care more if my family was tied into it and losing money and quality of life.

All the students who post who take classes there seem pretty content with the training.

Good for them!

It may be fabricated, but at least they practice and are happy..more than some can say!

just a few pennies from a pig.....

IronPig

Fu-Pow Guest
    I just figured out what SD practitioners remind me of. They are like that guy in class who has a note pinned to his back. Everyone is laughing and snickering behind his back and he is oblivious to the note. Yet he is so insecure that he thinks people "hate" him for some reason. When in fact they are really just laughing at the note. Social cues can be important sometimes....if 41/48 people on this forum think Shaolin-do is fraud doesn't that at least give you pause. BTW, I think other groups are fraudulent not just Shaolin-do, including the people that inhabit the Shaolin Temple right now!!!! They do sport Wushu, for god sakes, and then pass it off as "Shaolin".

Fu-Pow

"Choy Lay Fut Kung Fu does not encourage its students to abuse or harm others with no reason. Nevertheless, in times when Kung Fu must be performed, Choy Lay Fut requires the student to change from a gentleman into a fierce and cold fighter."

-Lee Koon Hung,

The Willow Sword Guest

Fu Pow

when you insult a school and a system of martial arts you are ALSO insulting the students of that school and system of martial arts. or have you no understanding of this? guess not.

Whatever you think i am or want me to be,,, i am.
    oh and,,,Jesus loves you, everyone else thinks you are an a$.

IronFist Guest
    Fu-Pow, don't listen to them, cuz I think your poll RULED!!! Apparently 6 people were either smoking crack, or accidently clicked on the wrong poll option.

Iron

lukrion Guest

What is Shaolin Do?

What is this controvery? What is Shaolin Do? I've seen a few threads on this but what is the root of controvery?

Is Shaolin-DO an interchangable label for Shaolin Kung Fu practicioners or is this supposed to be some Karate system based in the techniques of Shaolin?

Fu-Pow Guest
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> when you insult a school and a system of martial arts you are ALSO insulting the students of that school and system of martial arts. or have you no understanding of this? guess not. [/quote]

How did I insult you? I don't even know you. Look, I took a popular opinion poll. I posted the results. I made an observation that Shaolin-Do practitioners were unflinching in their belief in the history of Shaolin-Do. Why do you guys think everybody hates you because you do Shaolin-Do? To me that is a cop out. Did ever occur to you that the people that voted in the poll, truly believe Shaolin-Do to be a fraud. Not just a fraud committed against MA but committed against the practitioners as well? That means you. Stand up for your style if it is really worth it to you. Show us the real history, the facts, the integrity of Grandmaster Sin The. You've got access to a scanner right? All we've seen so far is semantic arguments and "you guys hate us." All we've heard is I have "faith" in my style and I don't have to prove it too anyone. Why don't you just go bury your head in the sand while your at it. Show us the money, for christ's sake!!!! ;)

Fu-Pow

-Lee Koon Hung,

Dark Knight Guest
    Im not familiar with the style. I have to agree on the choice of names but I have heard worse.

If you call it fraud, based on what are you doing this? many styles can be traced back to Shaolin but not look like it today. What makes it fraud? Is it effective?

Radhnoti Guest
    Fu-Pow, would you consider looking at things from our perspective for once? "Stand up for your style if it is really worth it to you. Show us the real history, the facts, the integrity of Grandmaster Sin The.", you said. Ok, how do we do that, exactly? Or, to be more precise, how would YOU do that? We've related personal experiences which everyone quickly dismisses. I've cited articles here and there, it's dismissed as SD propaganda. I've mentioned other CMA instructors interacting with and in some cases befriending Grandmaster Sin, this is also dismissed. Respectfully, how do you suggest we approach your challenge?

-Radhnoti

reemul Guest

How about this

How about in the early late 80's early 90's, Sin went through San Antonio trying to recruit MA schools to follow him as if he were some sort of messiah. Instead of just opening up a school, he tried to convert schools of other styles to Shaolin do.

How bogus is that, Oh yeah he came to our school trying to do that.

Fu-Pow Guest
    Give us a consistent, non-supernatural history of Shaolin-do....without the wolf boy!!!!!

Fu-Pow

-Lee Koon Hung,