View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 708 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 2086086586987067077087097107187588081208 ... LastLast
Results 10,606 to 10,620 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

LISTEN TO ME AND LISTEN WELL PEOPLE

when i wa sfifteen i joined that crappy shaoLIN do school in colrado run BY david and sharon soard the place IS A TOTAL SCAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i was excited cuz i always wanted to learn sholin but the the whole thing is a scam
    i kicked the crap outta there blackbelts in the first months and i barely had any training prior to that

the stuff dosnt even look like kung fu it looks liKE some horribly lame karate style its ineffective and they practically hand away belts

DO NOT JOIN THIS ORGANIZATION THEY ARE FRAUDS AND ARE NOT ASSOCIATED WITHTHE SHAOIN TEMPLE IN ANY WAY

DEFINITE MC DOJO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blog Entries
    Your experience with sd is unfortunately becoming the norm. People have become so obsessed with learning the next new form that they don't take the time to master what they have. And yes they do give the belts away. I've seen people promoted who had no idea what they're doing. Then they get to teach! The way the art is taught now has reduced a once capable art to nothing.
    I can only speak for material before 2000, but your right, the material doesn't look like shaolin temple Kung fu of today. And that's a good thing. There are people out there that teach the art correctly but most are not affiliated with the sda or the csc schools for obvious reasons. Master hiang seems to have stayed on the right course. And has remained true to his art.

and come on relly they wear karate uniforms and wear belts lol yeah thats kung fu!

united studios of self defense is pulling this scam as well

decline of shaolin do

Goju:

May I ask, how long ago was it that you were 15 and tried that school? I've never met the Soards, and have only heard stories about how they run the schools there, but it really isn't fair to judge all practioners of SD by that single experience.

When I first started in martial arts, I trained in TKD, and my teacher, a Vietnam combat veteran, was very skilled, and emphasized to me basics and fundamentals, and I was proud to call him my teacher and my freind. On the other hand, there's a local TKD school I've visited, run by a well respected very high ranking Korean TKD Master, of international renown, but quite frankly I would be ashamed to perform the way most of those students do, including their instructors. If I judged the entire style by the way the local school looked, I would have a very bad impression of TKD, from only one small segment.

After my TKD school closed, I joined a SD school, and have been with it (off and on) ever since, and with other styles and schools along the way. I have had (due to travel and school closings) four direct SD instructors, before attending the Lexington school regularly, and having the benefit of at least four instructors there, including GM Sin and his brother, and others. I have seen practitioners, with rank, even teachers, that clearly wouldn't qualify for it under any accepted objective standard. I suspect that when I was promoted, the standards were much lesser than when my teachers obtained the same rank long before me. There was a time when 3d Black and up was very rare, I can remeber a time there were less than half a dozen third or above; now it is very commonplace. I would guess there are very few today who could meet the Temple standards even to get in, much less get through.

But I have also seen, and had the honor of training with, and being taught by, SD practictioners who would hold their own or better with any martial artist out there from any style. And I don't mean just in class, but in real world experience. Quite frankly, most of them keep to themselves and do not flaunt their skill, and some of the best are hardly known. But their example is worth emulating.

The point I think is, like with almost anything, what you are given is worth what you do with it. I have seen students taught material, and they enjoyed learning about it, but they clearly have little or no concept of what it is, and maybe never will. Others, in the same class, take the material to their heart, and train it and train it and study it from every angle they can. Those are not the examples you, Goju, talk about.

Its not much different than my daughter's high school softball team. Some of the girls -- a few only -- have been playing all their lives and live it and play like champions. Some don't really care and are just playing around. Some might wonder how some of them got on the team. They can have their fun and there's nothing wrong with that. One might visit the team, and have very negative opinions about their play as a whole, but for a few. But their level of effort and skill does not mean those who have worked long and hard and have achieved much, are worthless. And it doesn't mean softball is crap, in general.

Find me any style of martial art, or any school, that you can't somewhere, maybe even easily, find the same things you found in Colorado.

And as for uniforms: I've recently been researching video of Chinese masters, including archival footage collected of Yip Man. They never wore uniforms of any kind, but just put on whatever shirt and pants they find, and train. Uniforms are a manufactured skin, or a costume for theater or performances. Even the "uniforms" at the temple were nothing more than peasant clothing, other than the ceremonial religious dress. Am I wrong? The impressions of so-called "kung fu" uniforms are adoptions from movies, in my opinion. And the origin of wearing gi's in SD has been explained and debated here and elsewhere ad nauseum. Some of the SD schools have changed uniforms to avoid just the criticism you make, I think including in Colorado (?).

Someone recently told me a story about a trip to Japan, and a tour to museums and the like, and how it was told, even by the Japanese, of how much of the tradition of Japan originally came from China, from basic agriculture, to martial arts weapons considered "traditional" Japanese or Okinawan, acknowledged to have originated from China in very many instances. It was noted by the storyteller to me, that it wouldn't be surprising to someday find the same is true for the traditional gi, but that is just my speculation. Who cares?

If you are truly interested in the styles and forms and concepts of Chinese martial arts, from the SD perspective, I would encourage you to look beyond the outside, and to look deeper than one school, one teacher, or even one branch, and sample more than one school, maybe even several, before making up your mind. And not to generalize everyone because of one, or even because of many. Unless your mind is already made up, which sometimes seems to be the case.

Just my opinion, it might mean nothing.
    Just One Student

"I seek, not to know all the answers, but to understand the questions." --- Kwai Chang Caine

(I'd really like to know all the answers, too, but understanding the questions, like most of my martial arts practice, is a more realistically attainable goal)

the school is run horribly. david soard babbles on and on about his favorite kung fu movie endlessley and mocks other masters in kung fu tai chi

for being a elder master he is incredibly stiff and cant throw a decent kick to save his life.
    he dosnt teach his students humilty as the many of the blackbelts prance around likeir unstoppable through out the school

and plus as i i noted their stuff dosnt even resemble kung fu in the least it looks like some horribly made up karate
    as far as the gi goes yes there are no such thing as kung fu unifroms as the standard kung fu uniform that most people are aware of are just standard chinese dress clothes
    how ever it is known that the gi is a siganture of japanese and korean martial styles and that no kung fu practiconers are known to wear them thus further discrediting the school

futher if you google shaoilin do itself you will find many disgruntled ex studnets as well that say the same thing i do

during my tenure at the school i did not see any high demonstration of skill ffrom the master or any of his advanced students in fact as i noted i defeated many of their black belts and that was at the time i barely knew any thing at all

plus like the united studios of self defense they are not reckonized by the shaolin temple
    in fact i recall seeing a blog about man who put his son i usosd program and he contacted the shoilin temle and the abbot never even heard of them before and was thinking of taking legal action

the same rings true for shaoiln do in fact i think they and united studios are both the same scam

Your Good Points Are Lost

Quote Originally Posted by goju View Post
    the school is run horribly. david soard babbles on and on about his favorite kung fu movie endlessley and mocks other masters in kung fu tai chi

for being a elder master he is incredibly stiff and cant throw a decent kick to save his life.
    he dosnt teach his students humilty as the many of the blackbelts prance around likeir unstoppable through out the school

and plus as i i noted their stuff dosnt even resemble kung fu in the least it looks like some horribly made up karate
    as far as the gi goes yes there are no such thing as kung fu unifroms as the standard kung fu uniform that most people are aware of are just standard chinese dress clothes
    how ever it is known that the gi is a siganture of japanese and korean martial styles and that no kung fu practiconers are known to wear them thus further discrediting the school

futher if you google shaoilin do itself you will find many disgruntled ex studnets as well that say the same thing i do

during my tenure at the school i did not see any high demonstration of skill ffrom the master or any of his advanced students in fact as i noted i defeated many of their black belts and that was at the time i barely knew any thing at all

plus like the united studios of self defense they are not reckonized by the shaolin temple
    in fact i recall seeing a blog about man who put his son i usosd program and he contacted the shoilin temle and the abbot never even heard of them before and was thinking of taking legal action

the same rings true for shaoiln do in fact i think they and united studios are both the same scam
    Not all of your points are bad but, as is often the case, they lose validity because they are surrounded by statements that are simply factually incorrect. SD and USSD are not related at all. As for the temple, if you read this entire thread and others, they'll recognize anyone who pays them. Both SD and USSD have placards at the Shaolin Temple. I don't say that as evidence of their validity because, as I already said, it appears that schools can purchase these placards. I use it more as an example of how you should verify facts before using them to support your opinions. If your facts are wrong, how can anybody lend any weight to your opinion.

As for my SD kwoon, they don't give belts away but, at the same time, I wish that testing was done to a slightly higher standard. I will say that there are no sick, lame, lazy fat butts at our school because we train hard. I can't say that about many other martial arts schools out there today.

LISTEN TO ME AND LISTEN WELL PEOPLE

when i wa sfifteen i joined that crappy shaoLIN do school in colrado run BY david and sharon soard the place IS A TOTAL SCAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i was excited cuz i always wanted to learn sholin but the the whole thing is a scam
    i kicked the crap outta there blackbelts in the first months and i barely had any training prior to that

the stuff dosnt even look like kung fu it looks liKE some horribly lame karate style its ineffective and they practically hand away belts

DO NOT JOIN THIS ORGANIZATION THEY ARE FRAUDS AND ARE NOT ASSOCIATED WITHTHE SHAOIN TEMPLE IN ANY WAY

DEFINITE MC DOJO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    The Colorado school is CSC not SD and is not affiliated in anyway with us....nor is USSD...so complain about them all you want (most of what you say is true).....leave us alone until you know what your talking about....Most SD schools are very sincere about the art and their training and are located in the east not west.

Quote Originally Posted by bodhi warrior View Post
    Your experience with sd is unfortunately becoming the norm. People have become so obsessed with learning the next new form that they don't take the time to master what they have. And yes they do give the belts away. I've seen people promoted who had no idea what they're doing. Then they get to teach! The way the art is taught now has reduced a once capable art to nothing.
    I can only speak for material before 2000, but your right, the material doesn't look like shaolin temple Kung fu of today. And that's a good thing. There are people out there that teach the art correctly but most are not affiliated with the sda or the csc schools for obvious reasons. Master hiang seems to have stayed on the right course. And has remained true to his art.
    Depends on the school.
    In regards to your last 2 sentences....when is the last time you observed one of his classes?

um well david soards the highest ranking master under sin kwang the so i think his school should be the best dont you

as i noted the style dosnt even look like kung fu it looks well made up and some of their forms arent evenknown my any other shoilin brach ie they are made up

and yes it is shaoiln do shaoilin do is on the bleedin patch
    as well as the endorsement from grand master sin kwang the

and yes ive seen many fat an out of shape black belts at the school min fact master soard and his higher ups would often forget the forms as they were teaching us lol

Goju... where'd you learn to attempt to speak English?

BTW I don't care if English isn't your native language... you're on a board hosted by & the majority of the members are English speakers. Many as English as a 2nd language & you really can't tell.

Work on it son...
    Message: Due to the ongoing Recession, God has decided the light at the end of the tunnel will be shut off due to power costs. That is all.

um well david soards the highest ranking master under sin kwang the so i think his school should be the best dont you

as i noted the style dosnt even look like kung fu it looks well made up and some of their forms arent evenknown my any other shoilin brach ie they are made up

and yes it is shaoiln do shaoilin do is on the bleedin patch
    as well as the endorsement from grand master sin kwang the

and yes ive seen many fat an out of shape black belts at the school min fact master soard and his higher ups would often forget the forms as they were teaching us lol
    He is not the highest ranking master...never has been / never will be and you are a TROLL
    BQ
    Last edited by Baqualin; 05-06-2009 at 12:49 PM.

like hell he isnt him and shaorn are the highest ranking masters under sin kwang the and based on theri skill thats not saying much lol
    they are 8th degree elder masters lol sin has even been hosted at theri kwoon
    and hes not nevery impressive either

and as i noted you can google sholin do and read about people saying its a scam you think you get that from qualitys places like buck sam kongs place or wing lams
    ha dont make me laugh!

they were gis have belts do one and two step sparring lol and their forms dont even resemble kung fu in the least lol yeah but their authentic

and yes they are shaolin do you bufoons

Quote Originally Posted by sean_stonehart View Post
    Goju... where'd you learn to attempt to speak English?

BTW I don't care if English isn't your native language... you're on a board hosted by & the majority of the members are English speakers. Many as English as a 2nd language & you really can't tell.

Work on it son...
    Did you also notice that at 15 he was whipping Black Belts with no experience.....no matter the school or style I have a problem swallowing that.....TROLL
    Best!!
    BQ

like hell he isnt him and shaorn are the highest ranking masters under sin kwang the and based on theri skill thats not saying much lol
    they are 8th degree elder masters lol sin has even been hosted at theri kwoon
    and hes not nevery impressive either

and as i noted you can google sholin do and read about people saying its a scam you think you get that from qualitys places like buck sam kongs place or wing lams
    ha dont make me laugh!

they were gis have belts do one and two step sparring lol and their forms dont even resemble kung fu in the least lol yeah but their authentic

and yes they are shaolin do you bufoons
    OK dude...have it your way...your right...I bow down to your knowledge...thanks for the education regarding our system...I'm going out tonight and find a new school...do you have any recommendations?
    BQ

where did say i was beating blacj belts from other schools lol dont tryt o put words in my mouth i said i waseasily defeating the black belts that do shaolin do and i barely had any experience at all in martilal arts upon joining

hey if i understand that some people here have put so much time and effort in to a system thats a scam but hey your gonna have to accept it at one point in time

its honestly hard to see how any body can look at that and not see its a joke lol i figured that out in a month gawd and some of you have proably been doing shaolin do for years now lol

i not trolling merely stating the facts and warning any body who is interested in doing shaolin do not to waste their money

go learn interpretive dance youll be ebale to defnd yourself better