View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 714 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 2146146647047127137147157167247648141214 ... LastLast
Results 10,696 to 10,710 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Quote Originally Posted by monkeyslap too View Post
    mk,
    your date argument (1964) pretty much makes sd look completely bogus. However, you need to consider the syncretic nature of indonesia. The indonesians as a culture are highly adaptive, and sometimes a superficial change is adequate to satisfy most as a change. The laws against cma and chinese language also require indonesian citizens of chinese decent to have indonesian names. The adoption of bahasa indonesia required the generic chinese term in indonesia (kun tao) be replaced with a bahasa word (silat). Which is why you see cma called 'silat' even though it isn't 'silat' in the specific sense.

It was also common to see blending of cma, jma, and ima in certain circles, because there were strong traditions of holding back (see draegers "weapons and fighting arts of the indonesian archipelago") - it is possible that this is the root of sd. But i doubt it based upon the technical skills i've seen from sd people.

All this aside, i'm convinced that sd is a fraud perpetrated by sin the'. He is either a jovial con man whose great conditioning and decent karate skills allowed him to con unknowing americans, or he's the biggest freaking idiot in the world and actually beleives his own stories. In either case, why would you want to follow him?

The footage of him moving was the clincher. While i have seen kun tao players do, say a mantis set that was obviously made up based on something else, it still had the content of that something else. Sd just looks bad to me.

ahahahahhahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahaahhahahahaahahahhahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by omarthefish View Post
    master killer just may be riht but if he isn't...how exactly am i supposed to test tis "theory"? A death match? You do realize that what's beein disputed it the whole su kon jin story and their alleed link to shaolin. They could be really good figters and really cool to watch but they still would not be real shaolin.

But rest assured..if they come to xi'an i will see them in person and i will even try to bring my shifu along.

Their story has more holes than a screen door. The monkey man is wearing a western suit in a pre-industrial china for gods sake. He trained at a temple that hadn't had monks in it for 200 years. They think all the internal arts of northern china are part of shaolin. Nothing about their story makes sense. "shaolin" as a home of chinese gong fu had been dead since the late qing dynasty and all the monks there now are those that were either hired or invited back.

If you enjoy the training...fine.

You will proably even learn some really nice kenpo karate to defend yourself with. Nothing wrong with that. I don't know what else to say on it.
    ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahhah ahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by goju View Post
    AH LORD THIS KOOL AID IS MOST FOUL!!!!!! LOL

im using those masters as a comparison o skill tosin look at any well known master respected in the kung fu community and compare them to sin you can tell the guy isnt skilled at all lol

if you look at the shaolin do style and sin and think thats a high level of martial arts mastery then i feel sorry for you lol

adn like i suspected no nobody has been able to sucesfully refute my claims this idiotic logic that oh just because the soards arent very good dosnt reflect on sin is proposterous!!!
    if the soards ar elousy it isnt because sin couldnt teach them properly its because in dosnt know what hes doing hes cleary either a fraud himself or comletely incompetent

either waythey still are scamming folks by using the shaolin name and that IS WRONG i really dont care if they put a do at the end of shaolin (or a a doh!! better yet!) it stilll misrepresnting the art and the temple

and look at it at its worse its sacreligious! shaolin is so much more than a style its a way of life and a part of a religious tradition. it dispicable to claim something is shaolin when it clearly is not. im hapy that one of the abbots suppose to start sueing and cracking down on all these frauds who are ruining the styles reputation

i will patiently await another liberaci analogy lol
    Answer the questions to post 10099. If you do you will gain some credibility.

Sure I am happy.......

ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahhah ahahaha
    But I don't sit around all day laughing like an idiot!!!!

im not goig to go lok back on post 10009676859494 whatever unless its brought up hre for me to see

and why not you should try it some time
    AHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    EVIL KUNG FU MASTER LAUGH

Quote Originally Posted by tattooedmonk View Post
    What??

Lay off the crack!!!

Master Wing Lam, Master Buck Sam Kong and Master Tat Mau Wong are all great masters at what they do, their path is different than EMDS and GMSKT.

Performing forms and being able to apply them at the right place and right time is something completely different.

You obviously are only seeing what is on the surface.

So how much time have you spent actually studying under any of these people???

Do you even know ANY of these people???
    here ya go!! the questions are at the end of the post, you see right before the question marks??

i wasnt alive in the seventies
    I think that pretty much sums it up.

True

Quote Originally Posted by Tensei85 View Post
    Sorry for disturbing this conversation but it seems as though its not making much headway. So I would like to state though I have no connection to or with Shaolin Do and know little to nothing about the system itself. I would have to say you really can't judge an organization by its members, sometimes an organization stands for views and philosophies that may or may not be reflected in its affiliated members. So if you have an issue with specific member don't you think it may be more constructive to take it up with the member themselves as opposed to the organization as a whole?
    There are probably a few bad representatives in every organization or family however you categorize it. Take my viewpoints for as little as there worth but that's my summary.
    Agreed. A well-reasoned approach.

how exactly can sin kwnag the and shaolin do be creible when the soards are frauds

SIN TAUGHT THE SOARDS YOU FOOLS LOL THEY HAVE DECADES OF EXPERIENCE UNDER HIM!!!!!!
    WHAT DOES THAT SAY?!
    but why am i bothering none of you wil be able to answer this youll just use another liberaci analogy lol
    Ok, I'll bite. LOTS of people in SD criticize the Soards and the way their school is run. Most don't talk about it on public internet forums with 14 year old fools because its internal politics and not respectful to debate in public. But GM The gives each of his senior students wide latitude in how they teach the art. He does not seem to have a problem in the differences that exist between the Soards, the Mullins family, Master Grooms, Lexington and Texas, etc. He lets them be.... We can debate whether this is right or wrong until the cows come home, but its his art, he can do what he wants. If it doesn't bother him (and from someone who has met the man several times, but isn't necessarily a confidant) it does not seem to bother him. I suspect his attitude is that he passed on his knowledge to his students and it’s up to them to decide what the best way to further the art is. As such, there are vast difference between the schools operated by the various masters, but they are all part of the family of shaolin-do.

Master Sin is a very "live and let live" person. It's not a bad lesson.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Pen View Post
    Ok, I'll bite. LOTS of people in SD criticize the Soards and the way their school is run. Most don't talk about it on public internet forums with 14 year old fools because its internal politics and not respectful to debate in public. But GM The gives each of his senior students wide latitude in how they teach the art. He does not seem to have a problem in the differences that exist between the Soards, the Mullins family, Master Grooms, Lexington and Texas, etc. He lets them be.... We can debate whether this is right or wrong until the cows come home, but its his art, he can do what he wants. If it doesn't bother him (and from someone who has met the man several times, but isn't necessarily a confidant) it does not seem to bother him. I suspect his attitude is that he passed on his knowledge to his students and it’s up to them to decide what the best way to further the art is. As such, there are vast difference between the schools operated by the various masters, but they are all part of the family of shaolin-do.

Well said, as always. How do you do it?

Quote Originally Posted by Old Noob View Post
    Well said, as always. How do you do it?
    His logic fu & expressive quan is mighty
    Message: Due to the ongoing Recession, God has decided the light at the end of the tunnel will be shut off due to power costs. That is all.

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Pen View Post
    He did go to all the trouble to sue someone for teaching his system, though. So, he does seem to have some interest in who passes on his material and how it's presented.

But really, with the size of the organization now, I doubt he can do much to reign in the fruitcakes. Even if only 10% of the schools were run by nuts, that's a lot of nuts running around.
    Last edited by MasterKiller; 05-11-2009 at 08:35 AM.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    He did go to all the trouble to sue someone for teaching his system, though. So, he does seem to have some interest in who passes on his material and how it's presented.

But really, with the size of the organization now, I doubt he can do much to reign in the fruitcakes. Even if only 10% of the schools were run by nuts, that's a lot of nuts running around.
    True. That was a while ago.... maybe things have changed. At the time of that lawsuit, things were not as diverse and people seemed to get along better now.
    Last edited by Judge Pen; 05-11-2009 at 09:22 AM.
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

i didnt know bruce lee either but hi s kill level was obviously on par with the greats as wel and obviouslt sin and his students arent anywhere close
    again your logic pople!!!!!!!

actuall many of the other shaolin do schools come under the same scrutiny that the soards do so again

f
    f
    f
    f
    f
    a
    a
    a
    a
    a
    i
    i
    i
    i
    i
    l
    l
    l
    l
    l

But you are relying upon anonymous internet posts. (in fact you are anonymous yourself) That's reliable. With an organization as big as SD, you are going to have disgruntled people from time to time. The advent of the internet over the past several years makes it easy for yahoos with little to no credibility to spout off things with absolutely no real way to verify their experiences. So I'm left with my own experiences which I count higher than yours.

Let me put it this way: I've met and/or personally corresponded with several members here about these issues. I've crossed hands with many of them (or their students). I've put my own material on the internet for comment. It proves nothing, but it does give the other posters here a frame of reference when it comes to my word. At least they know they can trust what I'm saying is coming from real experience even when they disagree with the conclusions I reach.

You can shout to the high heavens and all you do is hurt our ears.