View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 734 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 2346346847247327337347357367447848341234 ... LastLast
Results 10,996 to 11,010 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Quote Originally Posted by goju View Post
    well you are the greastest shaoilin master that has a genetic hair deformity lived in the woods but walked around with a suit on and that ever lived so that shouldnt be a suprise
    Not true. Bigfoot isn't called Bigfoot because he has big feet. He's a Shaolin master, too. He was the monk who created kicking. And in the woods, we wear suits. "Suits" happens to be Botswanian for "Karate Gi." Suits are Chinese, but only because Karate gi's are chinese, and the Japanese are really CHinese. It all makes sense, but you have to be fluent in Tibetan to grasp its essence.

arent we all chinese on the inside?

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    Not true. Bigfoot isn't called Bigfoot because he has big feet. He's a Shaolin master, too. He was the monk who created kicking. And in the woods, we wear suits. "Suits" happens to be Botswanian for "Karate Gi." Suits are Chinese, but only because Karate gi's are chinese, and the Japanese are really CHinese. It all makes sense, but you have to be fluent in Tibetan to grasp its essence.
    I know Bigfoot. In fact, I trained with him for several hundred years.

- yeti
    Yes sir, the check is in the mail!

Which Lo Pan, huh? Little old basket case on wheels or the ten foot tall road block?!

Remember that time when we were at Panda Express on our lunch break and you got that fortune in the cookie that said: "Sometimes blowing and money go hand-in-hand. But they have to go in that order."

I think someone's trying to tell you something.

A world full of new dresses is basically at your fingertips. That, and a scorching case of Herpes.

(BTW, feel free to substitute "fingertips" with mouth. But only if you really want to).
    yeah but then you come home from work with a sore mouth and a sore a nus who wants that lol

arent we all chinese on the inside?
    No. I'm 100% Awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by yeti View Post
    I know Bigfoot. In fact, I trained with him for several hundred years.

- yeti
    yeah we know him too he always used to come down from the woods at the burger king we work at an clog up the mens toilet me and wookie spepnt hours trying to unclog the lochness monster he left in there

No. I'm 100% Awesome.
    i beleive the correct wao of saying it is boreder

yeah but then you come home from work with a sore mouth and a sore a nus who wants that lol
    Don't worry, I'm sure your boyfriend will still love you.

what is this thread about now lol

i beleive the correct wao of saying it is boreder
    Look at the Rederob go. He's learning. He's not hopeless. But by "Wao" I hope you meant either "Wow" or "tao". See, tao means way--just like "do."

But if I had said "borreder" everyone would have been like...hey, look at what that dude just wrote....wow!"

Or maybe you meant it was like a cool "tao" to say what I said, and you knew, even beforehand, people would be like "wow!"

Yea. It's totally wao. Totally.

Look at the Rederob go. He's learning. He's not hopeless. But by "Wao" I hope you meant either "Wow" or "tao". See, tao means way--just like "do."

But if I had said "borreder" everyone would have been like...hey, look at what that dude just wrote....wow!"

Or maybe you meant it was like a cool "tao" to say what I said, and you knew, even beforehand, people would be like "wow!"

Yea. It's totally wao. Totally.
    and i thought my neighbours smoked alot of pot lol

Some answers to SD critics - Part 1

This is my take on some of the more common criticisms of SD. Just my (somewhat reasoned) opinion, can never be proved or disproved, and is not an infallible theory. And it requires some practical consideration of the reality at the time. I've thought about writing a book, but it would put people to sleep. Here is a too-long summary.

GGM ICM came from China, and other places. He learned from others. As far as I can tell and see, almost everyone who trains that long, that hard, that much, puts their own spin on the material, and rightfully so. I suspect if it were possible to go back to see what the first tai chi form, or pa kua, or any other material, looked like, and compare it to what it looked like after it passes through X hands to get to now, no one would recognize it. So no one can complain or assign any weight to the lack of resemblance of GGM ICM's material to any other ancient Temple material or that taught by others today, who learned it on a different path. ICM's and GMT's came through a different path to today than the current Temple material did, as did others who are on a different path.

GGM Su Kong. Names, faces, unexplained photos and clothing. How many stories of Western legends and figures have tall tales attached? When people used to criticize Hong Kong kung fu movies as "unbelievable" that people can do that stuff, I reminded them, those movies are sometimes about legends, and their tradional heroes. How is pulling a sword and killing a dozen armed soldiers, different than Clint Eastwood pulling his six-shooter and fanning to death six armed gunfighters before they can even draw? OK, that is fantasy, to some extent. How many stories have we been told about the old West figures, who were real people, the truth of which is unknowable? Davy Crockett, Daniel Boone, outlaws, heroes, etc. How many historical photos are there of persons whose details are not known? But to say he did not exist because his name is not amongst millions of Chinese, hundreds or more non-documented martial artists, during a time of nearly non-existent record keeping, or because of undatable photos or a style of clothing or other people in other places in other times that look like him -- that is incredible.

When GMT was training, he was in Indonesia. There was at least SOME dislike for things Chinese, which is not disputed anywhere, although the degree of it is. If I were going to teach something where most other people don't like it and might bother me or my family about it, I would probably also alter it at least some, even after my own personal spin was put on it.

Why not teach it only in secret, and stay with exactly and purely the way it was taught to him? See below, but lets face it: most accomplished experts who teach, and are worth being taught by, do it for a living. Keeping it a secret is not exactly conducive to making a living by teaching. So a balance of openness, but not offending, must be struck.

As for including other elements into it, including Japanese words, or "ippon kumite" methods, if I take my martial arts seriously, and see something someone else does that is good, and say, "I'm not going to do that, that is not traditional [whatever I am doing]," that stubborn refusal to learn and adapt would be stupid. So, unless "what I was taught is perfect and has no room for improvement or consideration of any adjustment ever for any reason," failure to evolve is dumb. Anyone with a history like ICM or GMT would be smart enough to know that, and if he sees a training method, like one step sparring, that is good, he would be dumb to disregard it just because it is not what he was taught or the way he was taught it, or even more archaic, not the way HIS teacher was taught it. Is not the history of even the Temples, evolving, adapting, changing, and improving, from Damo or whatever, to the end?

And is there not a history of two-man fighting sets in almost all TCMA's systems? What do you think "ippon kumite" is, other than one step at a time, instead of a series of steps. Its just a simplified, "elementary" start for a more complex concept. Call me naive, but I think it is a good thing that I was able to do "one step" sparring, one step at a time, before I did a long form two-man set, that might run 30+ steps in sequence. If that is bad because it is not TCMA, so what.

I can't think of any accomplished martial arts student or teacher I know, or who posts here for that matter, that has not at one time branched off and experienced more than one style, something else, read someone else's texts, etc., and incorporated what he/she liked and benefitted from, into his/her own practice, when it is good to do so. Why then is so much criticism of SD because its progenitors have done so and made it part of what they pass on to their own students? If I can be taught by someone who learns and adapts, or by one who knows nothing other than one way and cannot learn or adapt, that choice is easy -- unless all I want is the historical lessons.

TO BE CONTINUED
    Just One Student

"I seek, not to know all the answers, but to understand the questions." --- Kwai Chang Caine

(I'd really like to know all the answers, too, but understanding the questions, like most of my martial arts practice, is a more realistically attainable goal)

what is this thread about now lol
    This thread is about you now. You're the most important person in the world to us right now. We're just waiting for you to open up to us.

Consider this your Intervention.

BTW, ignore that guy with the stungun behind you and his buddy with the straightjacket. The stungun is really a "hotwired stick of emotional support", and the jacket represents "emotional security with no strings attached."

We are all your friends. Nobody is here to hurt you.

Quick!!! GEt him!

dude get with the program where on aabout burger king and prostituiton and how japanese people came from china and how everything is borreder but only if you truly beleive it

Wao is my little brother. Stop talking crap about him.
    When seconds count the cops are only minutes away!

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    Sorry, sometimes I forget you guys have that special secret internal sauce where people throw themselves and you don't have to do anything except collect tuition.