View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 751 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 2516517017417497507517527537618018511251 ... LastLast
Results 11,251 to 11,265 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Bingo!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Pen View Post
    They still speak Japanese in Okinawa. and ki is still ki. See, you're mixing terminology yourself. Who knows what your brand of goju ryu will be by the time you’re done.
    Hey JP , you train with Master Mullins, correct??

ugh you chimpanzee i swear!!! i said you win the sparring match with the lower belt with out severly injuring him so he learns soemthing. runnning across the room playing scratch fighting wont accomplish anything

and i think im being rather fait you said youve done karate tradtionally they throw your butt in their and they go all out dosnt matter who high or low your belt is its full contact almost full force as well

Quote Originally Posted by goju View Post
    i wont do anything with my art but practice it and hopefuly bring it into the cage someday soon i have no interst in teaching because it is to hard to keep a good student

ill give you a hint why with sin kwang the

CA_SE HE'S A S_AM AR_IS_

WOULD YOU LIKE TO BY A VOWEL OR SPIN THE WHEEL?
    You're avoiding my point though. You have modified what you have been taught already. No one outside of your uncle can verify what it is you have been taught or where it came from. I'm not calling you names or anything else, but what you know has unprovable elements in it also. It would be easy for someone to say "you didn't learn jack--you must have learned it all from a book and are trying to pass it off as having a super-secret teacher that was really good but kept a low profile" and all you could do was talk about your own experiences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

any remember there were no names for anything originally the didnt call a hook punch a hook punch they just demonstrated it and you did it. simple as that

yes they do now but if you want to keep tradtion proper you stick to the okinawan terms
    and th okinwans adapted jajapense names to sell karate to japan
    the sd history if iit would make any sense should have adopted indonesian ones
    Ok, so what is the Ryukyuan language term for "breath"? Teach me some of the traditional terminology that pre-dated Japanese appeasement.

And Master The does use some interesting dialects. He uses "chien" instead of "chuan" or "quan" for fist. I think some schools have gone to a more traditional chinese pronounciation, but GM The still says "chien"
    Last edited by Judge Pen; 05-26-2009 at 10:07 AM.
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

any remember there were no names for anything originally the didnt call a hook punch a hook punch they just demonstrated it and you did it. simple as that
    No, they called it a punch in their native language. What would that term be (if you know)?

Quote Originally Posted by tattooedmonk View Post
    Hey JP , you train with Master Mullins, correct??
    I do. I don't go to class that much anymore. I reached 4th and I train on my own when I have time (which isn't as often as I like).

You're avoiding my point though. You have modified what you have been taught already. No one outside of your uncle can verify what it is you have been taught or where it came from. I'm not calling you names or anything else, but what you know has unprovable elements in it also. It would be easy for someone to say "you didn't learn jack--you must have learned it all from a book and are trying to pass it off as having a super-secret teacher that was really good but kept a low profile" and all you could do was talk about your own experiences.
    how am i modifying it? im practice exactly what im taught and from talking to to other goju practioners ive been taught the same thing they have. nothings changed its all traditonal if anything its kept more tradtional than most

gota grab breakfast ill respond to your posts later!

ugh you chimpanzee i swear!!! i said you win the sparring match with the lower belt with out severly injuring him so he learns soemthing. runnning across the room playing scratch fighting wont accomplish anything

and i think im being rather fait you said youve done karate tradtionally they throw your butt in their and they go all out dosnt matter who high or low your belt is its full contact almost full force as well
    once again, sparring is not win or lose. I understand what you are saying but Sparring is a training exercise . If you want to fight at low, half, full force then that is fine. However , I know that in lower belt class( CSC) there is no to low force or contact involved.

how am i modifying it? im practice exactly what im taught and from talking to to other goju practioners ive been taught the same thing they have. nothings changed its all traditonal if anything its kept more tradtional than most

gota grab breakfast ill respond to your posts later!
    Oh, then it must have been modified before it was taught to you. I doubt they used English in Okinawa 100 years ago.

No, they called it a punch in their native language. What would that term be (if you know)?
    no its not im not bsing you here the the way karate was orignally taught was casual and informal there were no books written on the style no names for the style no names for the kata no names for the strikes etc etc

i have an old kung fu magazine some where in my closet on uechi ryu thats notes the same thing

and even then if i use the japaeses terms then what kind of punch a hook? uppercut theres not just a punch you know?

I do. I don't go to class that much anymore. I reached 4th and I train on my own when I have time (which isn't as often as I like).
    I saw his school online . I like it . Big open space , nice mats , etc. I give you props for being so mellow and diplomatic in this thread. Thanks for all of your input and knowledge.No matter what keep training.

Quote Originally Posted by tattooedmonk View Post
    once again, sparring is not win or lose. I understand what you are saying but Sparring is a training exercise . If you want to fight at low, half, full force then that is fine. However , I know that in lower belt class( CSC) there is no to low force or contact involved.
    Then how can you tell that you were really better than an upper-rank sparring under these paramters?

my unlce trained under cho then he trained me its not suprising cho was an okiniwan stylist as well a lot of koreans masters no a chinese style or an okinawan one for example praying mantis kung fu is real big down there in korea
    Yes, there is a lot of Mantis in Korea, but that's because Lin Pan Zhang, who studied under both Ji Chung Ting and Sun Yuan Chang, and Kang Kyung Bang, who was a student of Hao Heng Lu, immigrated there in the 1940s. Those lineages can be traced back quite a bit.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Exactly!!

Then how can you tell that you were really better than an upper-rank sparring under these paramters?
    Unless he just walked into the class and Darth Mauled the guy!!!