View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 752 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 2526527027427507517527537547628028521252 ... LastLast
Results 11,266 to 11,280 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Good work.

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Pen View Post
    Oh, then it must have been modified before it was taught to you. I doubt they used English in Okinawa 100 years ago.
    I admire you for continuing to try to break through. If anyone can, you can.

Also wanted to compliment your comments on lineage a few pages back. Right on.

Quote Originally Posted by goju View Post
    no its not im not bsing you here the the way karate was orignally taught was casual and informal there were no books written on the style no names for the style no names for the kata no names for the strikes etc etc

i have an old kung fu magazine some where in my closet on uechi ryu thats notes the same thing

and even then if i use the japaeses terms then what kind of punch a hook? uppercut theres not just a punch you know?
    I'm not disputing the laid-back teaching or terminolgy (I'm not agreeing with it either--I don't know enough of the Okinawan arts to agree or disagree) but I'm calling you out on not knowing the original terminolgy. See, my wife is fluent in Japanese and I know from her that many terms do not have an exact translation to English. So to be "true-blue traditional" at least a basic understanding of the languge is important. (this, of course is one of the criticisms of SD which you yourself have trumpted). You want to mix terminolgy or use English terms instead of Okinawan then great--but don't criticize SD's mixture as furter evidence of fallacy when you are guilty of the same. That is the very definition of a hypocrite.

If I wanted to be an uninformed critic I could argue that your lack of knowing the basic language or terminology is further evidence that you didn't learn real goju ryu. You either read it from a book or were mislead by your teacher who didn't know himslef; therefore, he justified his ignorance by saying "traditioanlly you just call it a hook punch." I'm not doing that because it would be disrespectful and I would be a hypocrite myself because I don't have the knowledge required to make that argument, but it would be easy for one with less scruples or sense to make, wouldn't it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Boom!!!!

I'm not disputing the laid-back teaching or terminolgy (I'm not agreeing with it either--I don't know enough of the Okinawan arts to agree or disagree) but I'm calling you out on not knowing the original terminolgy. See, my wife is fluent in Japanese and I know from her that many terms do not have an exact translation to English. So to be "true-blue traditional" at least a basic understanding of the languge is important. (this, of course is one of the criticisms of SD which you yourself have trumpted). You want to mix terminolgy or use English terms instead of Okinawan then great--but don't criticize SD's mixture as furter evidence of fallacy when you are guilty of the same. That is the very definition of a hypocrite.

If I wanted to be an uninformed critic I could argue that your lack of knowing the basic language or terminology is further evidence that you didn't learn real goju ryu. You either read it from a book or were mislead by your teacher who didn't know himslef; therefore, he justified his ignorance by saying "traditioanlly you just call it a hook punch." I'm not doing that because it would be disrespectful and I would be a hypocrite myself because I don't have the knowledge required to make that argument, but it would be easy for one with less scruples or sense to make, wouldn't it?
    As far as I am concerned there is the DEATH BLOW !!!Good Job JP!!!

Talking

Oh, then it must have been modified before it was taught to you. I doubt they used English in Okinawa 100 years ago.
    really you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Old Noob View Post
    I think I understand. We need to do as you say and not as you do. You are not required to apply your own logic. I get it now. That's why you're smart when you say that, if the Soards suck, then all SD must suck and we're stupid when we say that our teachers are good, therefore SD must be good. That's why it's okay for you to tell us not to judge when we haven't trained at the one school where you trained but it's not okay for us to tell you not to judge all of SD when you haven't trained in our schools. Thank you so much for shedding some light on this. To think that all this time I've been walking around thinking hypocrisy is a bad thing.

Thanks.

P.S.
    It was really lame of me to criticize your inability to read, write, and spell. That really was a pathetic reach on my part. You should feel free to be as unintelligible in your conversations as you wish. Why have any standards whatsoever? Sorry about that.
    He hasn't gotten the "hypocrisy is bad" thing yet JP.

really you think?
    So what's the original term for "breath" in goju ryu? How about "hook-punch"? I'm curious now.
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    Yes, there is a lot of Mantis in Korea, but that's because Lin Pan Zhang, who studied under both Ji Chung Ting and Sun Yuan Chang, and Kang Kyung Bang, who was a student of Hao Heng Lu, immigrated there in the 1940s. Those lineages can be traced back quite a bit.
    and chojun miyagi travled extensively as well as his tudent to different parts including korea not to meantion there wer numerous koreans studying karate in japan

mas oyama comes to mind

Dude!!!

really you think?
    then you didnt learn "REAL" Goju Ryu did you???

how can i learn the basic terminolgy in okinawan there was none! lol what is so hard to understnad about that they use the japanese terminolgy now and i know them but i dont use them why should i instead of talking about what its called why not just practice the dam technique?

and as i noted sd using japanes eterms makes no sense despite your attempt to give it credibilty karates does because they were trying to market it to a japanese audience

Quote Originally Posted by tattooedmonk View Post
    As far as I am concerned there is the DEATH BLOW !!!Good Job JP!!!
    nah i fixed him lol

then you didnt learn "REAL" Goju Ryu did you???
    and how is that?

Talking

and i never said sd is a scam just because of the odd use of japanese names the fact the style dosnt resemble kung fu in the least the fact that they hand out belts by the butt load have hundreds of schools and have a special grandmaster that claims to know 900 forms is what makes them a mcdojo

how can i learn the basic terminolgy in okinawan there was none! lol what is so hard to understnad about that they use the japanese terminolgy now and i know them but i dont use them why should i instead of talking about what its called why not just practice the dam technique?

and as i noted sd using japanes eterms makes no sense despite your attempt to give it credibilty karates does because they were trying to market it to a japanese audience
    marketing to americans who only knew of karate terminology makes sense to anyone who does not want to be willfully ignorant. And it's ok to say "I don't know the original terminology before it was changed to appease a Japanese audience." OR "I don't know the Japanese terminology after the appeasement with the exception of 'karate' and 'sanchin' (which is the name of a form from a style which traditionally didn't name forms) and "ki" (which I find offensive becasue it wasn't the original Okinawan term--which I don't know incidently--so I'll revert back to the Chinese "chi" because I like that one better).

I don't know these things either, but the difference between you and me is that I know there are several things that I don't know. But now I'm ripping off Socrates.
    Last edited by Judge Pen; 05-26-2009 at 10:47 AM.

So what's the original term for "breath" in goju ryu? How about "hook-punch"? I'm curious now.
    I know the answer to those questions and dont even practice the art, but I will give him a chance to answer.

I know the answer to those questions and dont even practice the art, but I will give him a chance to answer.
    He has had time to google it by now.