View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 753 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 2536537037437517527537547557638038531253 ... LastLast
Results 11,281 to 11,295 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

well as i said how would i know the original terminology?. there wasnt one. i guess if you want get specific the japanese names were the original since they didnt have a name for a karate punch or kick
    you can honestly beleive that if you want to or not you said yourself you not knowledgeable enough about the okinawan arts to debate so why do you try to?

why would i use japaense terminolgy when im talking to you guys

oh god i said kungfu "qigong" magazine earlier too! gasp that must make me a fraud!

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Pen View Post
    He has had time to google it by now.
    answer what?

Socrates

marketing to americans who only knew of karate terminology makes sense to anyone who does not want to be willfully ignorant. And it's ok to say "I don't know the original terminology before it was changed to appease a Japanese audience." OR "I don't know the Japanese terminology after the appeasement with the exception of 'karate' and 'sanchin' (which is the name of a form from a style which traditionally didn't name forms) and "ki" (which I find offensive becasue it wasn't the original Okinawan term--which I don't know incidently--so I'll revert back to the Chinese "chi" because I like that one better).

You don't know goju ryu. The difference between you and me is that I know there are several things that I don't know. But now I'm ripping off Socrates.
    Goju does play the role of a Socratic straight man pretty well. He should change his name to Meno or Alcibiades.

I know nobody else will get that but it's cracking me up.

well theres different hooking punches whic one do you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by goju View Post
    well as i said how would i know the original terminology?. there wasnt one. i guess if you want get specific the japanese names were the original since they didnt have a name for a karate punch or kick
    you can honestly beleive that if you want to or not you said yourself you not knowledgeable enough about the okinawan arts to debate so why do you try to?

oh god i said kungfu "qigong" magazine earlier too! gasp that must make me a fraud!
    By doing research and truely studying said art. There has been for over a hundred years. I know enough about your said art just by looking it up n the net. NOW I KNOW GOJU RYU!!

Quote Originally Posted by Old Noob View Post
    Goju does play the role of a Socratic straight man pretty well. He should change his name to Meno or Alcibiades.

I know nobody else will get that but it's cracking me up.
    LMAO . well almost no one!!!

so im supposed to research words that didnt exist lol yes choku miyagi used japanese terms
    a hook punch is kagi zuki
    breath is konyo danto

they may not be spelled right and they differ from different goju schools as well

I'm debating logic and reason. The facts are incidental

Because you were talking about what was traditional. If you say you know traditioanl goju ryu, then we expect you to know traditioanl goju ryu terminology. But since you are now saying you leanred an art called goju ryu from an unknown teacher that no one else has heard of, I should give you a pass.

I;ve got to get back to work now. Train hard everyone and ignore what people say on the internet. Keep sweating.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

well theres different hooking punches whic one do you mean?
    you said a "hook punch was a hook punch" I guess the terminology would help us understand the difference.
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

yes but if we get into names goju has a variety of different circular hooking punches i still call them all khook punches but which one you want where not talking boxing here goju has a lot of different hand strikes old boy!

so im supposed to research words that didnt exist lol yes choku miyagi used japanese terms
    a hook punch is kagi zuki
    breath is konyo danto

they may not be spelled right and they differ from different goju schools as well
    Words didn't exist? They used sign language instead?

So choku miyagi used Japanese terms. I thought Okinawans only adopted Japanese terminolgy out of appeasement. Was that terminolgy lost?

I;ve got to get back to work now. Train hard everyone and ignore what people say on the internet. Keep sweating.
    Have a good day!!! we will!!!

Go Ju

How much of the art did your uncle teach you ? How long have you been doing GoJU Ryu??Did your uncle teach you any forms ?? Did your uncle teach you the terms used for those forms? was there a langage barrier between your uncle and his teacher?? Did your uncle learn from this korean master during the korean war??Please help me, I am trying to understand .

yes but if we get into names goju has a variety of different circular hooking punches i still call them all khook punches but which one you want where not talking boxing here goju has a lot of different hand strikes old boy!
    like a boxing hook punch, with a vertical fist ,along the horizontal plain coming in from the outside ( lateral postion to medial postion) to make contact ,high ( head) middle ( upperbody) or low ( lower body).

How do you distinguish the difference between them then??How are you going to pass on your art then???