View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 755 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 2556557057457537547557567577658058551255 ... LastLast
Results 11,311 to 11,325 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Quote Originally Posted by tattooedmonk View Post
    he was 3 back in 1990. He quit the CSC 5 years ago, so this means he was 17 when he was beating the snot out of black belts and now he is 22 or 23. This explains everything.
    A prodigy then. I'm looking forward to his MMA career.

Goju, you actively train with your uncle? Are there more students or just you? How often do you spar and where do you find sparring partners?
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Quote Originally Posted by tattooedmonk View Post
    he was 3 back in 1990. He quit the CSC 5 years ago, so this means he was 17 when he was beating the snot out of black belts and now he is 22 or 23. This explains everything.
    I almost fell out of my chair when he said there were no low kicks or traps in SD
    I guess he never learn the basic 30 short forms.

Also there has been cases (in our school) where upper level BB's have been given an attitude adjustment for picking on lower belts. As far as uppers coming in and fighting to the level of the underclassmen....yes to a certain extent.....but if you push them they will push back harder....if you get ****y they will put you on your butt quick.
    BQ
    Last edited by Baqualin; 05-26-2009 at 02:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Baqualin View Post
    I almost fell out of my chair when he said there were no low kicks or traps in SD

Also there has been cases (in our school) where upper level BB's have been given an attitude adjustment for picking on lower belts. As far as uppers coming in and fighting to the level of the underclassmen....yes to a certain extent.....but if you push them they will push back harder....if you get ****y they will put you on your butt quick.
    BQ
    No traps or sweeps? I missed that nugget of information. I guess I've been doiwng it wrong all this time.

That's what I love about sparring. I learn something everytime I cross hands with someone and I am often humbled. Anyone who isn't humbled isn't paying attention.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Kage tsuki or sometimes known as Mawashi or circular technique. Funikoshi was Okinawan and brought his art to japan in 1921. He used terminology to teach it his art is from Itosu and Azato two well renound master of Shuri and Naha Te he wrote his fist book in 1930,s I guess he used pics only to describe the techniques. Also the only Cho I know of is He Ill Cho a great kicker of course I dont know them all. Go Ju you slay me I still think you are Ralph Machio KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Pen View Post
    A prodigy then. I'm looking forward to his MMA career.
    ME TOO!!

Quote Originally Posted by Baqualin View Post

BQ
    I missed that. The longer this guy goes on the more it starts to smell like BS.

I agree, thats the way it should be!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kwaichang View Post
    Kage tsuki or sometimes known as Mawashi or circular technique. Funikoshi was Okinawan and brought his art to japan in 1921. He used terminology to teach it his art is from Itosu and Azato two well renound master of Shuri and Naha Te he wrote his fist book in 1930,s I guess he used pics only to describe the techniques. Also the only Cho I know of is He Ill Cho a great kicker of course I dont know them all. Go Ju you slay me I still think you are Ralph Machio KC
    I was just reading about all that. I am currently looking for the school in denver( area) that he is talking about.
    He isnt old enough to be the karate kid, but maybe thats who he thinks he is!!!

Nothing is hard to grasp excpet that in the native language is the terminology that best describes the technique. You can learn an art without that understanding, but I do think you are missing something as a result. But, as is often pointed out in SD discussions (and as was pointed out by you) the mixing of terminology or the absence of the native terminology is suspect. For you and for SD. You've satisfied yourself that you are getting the real goju ryu despite that particular deficiency. Good for you; your particular circumstance, however, should at least garner some understanding that the terminology isn't as important as the technique, but yet you still show a double-standard on that point when its convenient.
    no its noty a double standard there wer no words for the techniques thus there is no way to know of something that dosnt exist
    how is that the same as that nonsensical excuse for sd guys using japanese terms?

It was a hook punch not a jab. Don't waffle, you thought it was a jab at first.

And ugly doesn't mean ineffective. Some of the best and most technical people I know couldn't fight their way out of a paper-bag, shile some ugly and sloppy form people are hellacious fighters. Look at Ali's "phantom punch" against Liston. Not text book and not pretty, but it worked.
    i dint know what the hell it was to ne honest so i just said it was a hook

Hey but I am a fraud and he is the real deal. Heres how I see it. He was a Green belt in a green belt class , the BB was there and was sparring them. The BB was going by the rules and Go Ju said I want to spar the BB said ok and Go Ju hit him harder than was agreed to and the BB lost. So GoJu as known has no respect and was unfair in his tactics. That is how he won. KC

Quote Originally Posted by goju View Post
    no its noty a double standard there wer no words for the techniques thus there is no way to know of something that dosnt exist
    how is that the same as that nonsensical excuse for sd guys using japanese terms?
    If Ie Chang Ming was hiding the art dont you think that using chinese terms in public would draw attention? Master Ie went all over Asia after he left China before going to Indonesia . It is possible that when he picked up more Chinese arts, lets say in Japan ,then most likely they would be using Japanese and not chinese, correct??

Dude

Unless your martial art was created by a bunch of deaf-mutes, there are words for the techniques. Just because they weren't formally recorded doesn't mean that there weren't Okinawan words for the techniques. You just don't know them because they were recorded once the art moved through Japan. The point these nice gentlemen are trying to make is that the current SD curriculum was put to paper after it had migrated through Indonesia and, consequently and because of the Indonesian preference for things Japanese, the current terminology partakes of both Japanese and Chinese terminology.

Not everything you don't know doesn't exist dude.

Good point TTM I think I heard that somewhere what about Shuri Te its a Chinese art taught in japan do they teach in Chinese or Japanese if its Japanese then its not real CMA KC

Quote Originally Posted by kwaichang View Post
    Hey but I am a fraud and he is the real deal. Heres how I see it. He was a Green belt in a green belt class , the BB was there and was sparring them. The BB was going by the rules and Go Ju said I want to spar the BB said ok and Go Ju hit him harder than was agreed to and the BB lost. So GoJu as known has no respect and was unfair in his tactics. That is how he won. KC
    Thats assuming that it actually happened!!

But that was hundreds of years ago , what about today???