View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 756 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 2566567067467547557567577587668068561256 ... LastLast
Results 11,326 to 11,340 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Quote Originally Posted by kwaichang View Post
    Good point TTM I think I heard that somewhere what about Shuri Te its a Chinese art taught in japan do they teach in Chinese or Japanese if its Japanese then its not real CMA KC
    Cant be, they use japanese terminology and wear a gi!!!

Quote Originally Posted by goju View Post
    no its noty a double standard there wer no words for the techniques thus there is no way to know of something that dosnt exist
    how is that the same as that nonsensical excuse for sd guys using japanese terms?
    You honestly believe that early okinawan martial arts had no words for the techniques? They didn't call a punch a punch in their native dilect? Come on, your dense but no-one is that dense.

So they called a punch a pucnh and a kick a kick in their native dialect. Then once it was given the Japanese treatment, they started using japanese terms because that made sense to the japanese that were learning the okinawan art. Fine, but a punch is still a punch, you've just changed the language that your using. That's a far cry from saying that there was no terminology.

And you, as a student of goju ryu, use american terms and chinese terms to describe an art that used to use okinawan and japaese words. Because that makes sense to you at this time. Ok, whatever works for you.

I'm sorry, if you don't see the parallels then you must have gotten hit to hard in the head before.

EDIT: Old Noob said it much better than me. I should go back to reading my medical records....
    Last edited by Judge Pen; 05-26-2009 at 02:59 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

i dint know what the hell it was to ne honest so i just said it was a hook
    No you said it was a jab. Or maybe that was before you knew the right terminolgy to call if a hook.
    Last edited by Judge Pen; 05-26-2009 at 03:00 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Pen View Post
    You honestly believe that early okinawan martial arts had no words for the techniques? They didn't call a punch a punch in their native dilect? Come on, your dense but no-one is that dense.

So they called a punch a pucnh and a kick a kick in their native dialect. Then once it was given the Japanese treatment, they started using japanese terms because that made sense to the japanese that were learning the okinawan art. Fine, but a punch is still a punch, you've just changed the language that your using. That's a far cry from saying that there was no terminology.

And you, as a student of goju ryu, use american terms and chinese terms to describe an art that used to use okinawan and japaese words. Because that makes sense to you at this time. Ok, whatever works for you.

I'm sorry, if you don't see the parallels then you must have gotten hit to hard in the head before.

EDIT: Old Noob said it much better than me. I should go back to reading my medical records....
    words and sign language, thats for laymen . most true masters learn by osmosis!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tattooedmonk View Post
    he was 3 back in 1990. He quit the CSC 5 years ago, so this means he was 17 when he was beating the snot out of black belts and now he is 22 or 23. This explains everything.
    oh dear your turning into kwai

fellas i no this is harsh but i gott break this to you ..
    you being old dosnt mean you know more... about martial arts.. or anything for that matter...it just means um well your old! lol

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Pen View Post
    A prodigy then. I'm looking forward to his MMA career.

Goju, you actively train with your uncle? Are there more students or just you? How often do you spar and where do you find sparring partners?
    yes i do its just me and him when i was at the mma gym we sparred on wedsdays and saturdays since ive left i odnt have anybody to spar with at the moment unfortunately th elast time i sparred was about two weeks ago before i quit the gym

Quote Originally Posted by Baqualin View Post
    I almost fell out of my chair when he said there were no low kicks or traps in SD
    I guess he never learn the basic 30 short forms.

Also there has been cases (in our school) where upper level BB's have been given an attitude adjustment for picking on lower belts. As far as uppers coming in and fighting to the level of the underclassmen....yes to a certain extent.....but if you push them they will push back harder....if you get ****y they will put you on your butt quick.
    BQ
    uh huh im sure they do

Quote Originally Posted by kwaichang View Post
    Kage tsuki or sometimes known as Mawashi or circular technique. Funikoshi was Okinawan and brought his art to japan in 1921. He used terminology to teach it his art is from Itosu and Azato two well renound master of Shuri and Naha Te he wrote his fist book in 1930,s I guess he used pics only to describe the techniques. Also the only Cho I know of is He Ill Cho a great kicker of course I dont know them all. Go Ju you slay me I still think you are Ralph Machio KC
    so because you dont know them that makes the person a scam artist lol oh yes i forgot with you comment that if i had any idea who you are i wouldnt call you a fraud

you still havent explained to me who you are and why i should know who you are either dear boy! im curious

and id idnt know your teacher either or judge penn or tat monk whats ya point?

Quote Originally Posted by tattooedmonk View Post
    I was just reading about all that. I am currently looking for the school in denver( area) that he is talking about.
    He isnt old enough to be the karate kid, but maybe thats who he thinks he is!!!
    what school csc enter chos school? i told you hes been gone for along time but ill ask my uncle where the gym was later

I bet Go Ju thinks Doogie Howser was a reaL Dr. YES BEING older does make us smarter than you as we have been aroun longer and experienced more. No matter how you slice it it is still bread. KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !

oh dear your turning into kwai

fellas i no this is harsh but i gott break this to you ..
    you being old dosnt mean you know more... about martial arts.. or anything for that matter...it just means um well your old! lol
    NO one ever said that. How long have you been doing MA??? The difference between us and you is you may have learned a few things , practiced a few things, but have studied nothing. I have studied practice and learned so has KC as well as the other guys in SD on this thread. Old is a state of mind . and there is nothing that is old about me , I am like good wine I have aged properly and now I taste great!!!

yes i do its just me and him when i was at the mma gym we sparred on wedsdays and saturdays since ive left i odnt have anybody to spar with at the moment unfortunately th elast time i sparred was about two weeks ago before i quit the gym
    You sure quit a lot!!!

You dont know who Nishiama Kanazawa or Okazaki are? Howabout Homa or Umemoto 4 time all Japan Kendo Champ. To name a few. You are unlearned arent you ?? KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !

Quote Originally Posted by Old Noob View Post
    Unless your martial art was created by a bunch of deaf-mutes, there are words for the techniques. Just because they weren't formally recorded doesn't mean that there weren't Okinawan words for the techniques. You just don't know them because they were recorded once the art moved through Japan. The point these nice gentlemen are trying to make is that the current SD curriculum was put to paper after it had migrated through Indonesia and, consequently and because of the Indonesian preference for things Japanese, the current terminology partakes of both Japanese and Chinese terminology.

Not everything you don't know doesn't exist dude.
    look let me put it this way since you guys dont know your arsehole from your elbow about karate

why do you think all the karate styles nowarent that old lok at goju shotokan etc etc they are all around what a 100 years old?
    and whys that because there are no documents or knowledge of any ancient forms or early forms of karate the mansters didnt write it down or teach it openly and thats why the styles are not around anymore
    and that is why they didnt have names for anything ther ewere no uniforms etc etc
    when they tried to introduce karate to japan the okinwans felt inferior to the japs because the japanese were scholary about their native arts and had precise names fo rtheir moves kata and so on and so forth
    the okinawans adopted this and began using japanese names

does this help?

so because you dont know them that makes the person a scam artist lol oh yes i forgot with you comment that if i had any idea who you are i wouldnt call you a fraud

you still havent explained to me who you are and why i should know who you are either dear boy! im curious

and id idnt know your teacher either or judge penn or tat monk whats ya point?
    Dude you are getting more difficult to understand in every post . and saying phrases like "oh dear" and "oh gawd"is starting to sound a little queer!!!