View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 766 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 2666667167567647657667677687768168661266 ... LastLast
Results 11,476 to 11,490 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Quote Originally Posted by SDJerry View Post
    Tiger Crane is one of the 4 pillars of hung gar which is one of the oldest kungfu styles out there. To my knowledge, this is widely accepted in the TCMA community. I would serisouly question any statement claiming that the SD version came a long first. I know you are just going off what you were told but as a hung gar stylist, I had to say something.
    I don't think anyone was claiming that (except TTM as he was told)....just wondering where the version we're taught fits in the mix....it does seem to be one of the older ones...you would have more insight on this.
    BQ

Quote Originally Posted by Baqualin View Post
    I don't think anyone was claiming that (except TTM as he was told)....just wondering where the version we're taught fits in the mix....it does seem to be one of the older ones...you would have more insight on this.
    BQ
    I know several styles their own interpretation of the tiger crane set so you don't necessarily have to be hung gar to know it.

It is also argued that Hung Xi Kwan was fabricated character, or was known by another name.

Quote Originally Posted by brothernumber9 View Post
    It is also argued that Hung Xi Kwan was fabricated character, or was known by another name.
    Imagine that--a mythical person in a well-known martial art lineage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Baqualin...

Yes, we do that and other techniques he may find interesting. That particular photo was showing a technique we used regularly at EKU when we were in Model Gym, on campus. That would have first been shown to me around 1970-1971. You can see from the uniforms and patches what our club affiliation was at the time of the photo.

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Pen View Post
    Imagine that--a mythical person in a well-known martial art lineage.
    He's not in our lineage chart to my knowledge.

Thank You ......

Tiger Crane is one of the 4 pillars of hung gar which is one of the oldest kungfu styles out there. To my knowledge, this is widely accepted in the TCMA community. I would serisouly question any statement claiming that the SD version came a long first. I know you are just going off what you were told but as a hung gar stylist, I had to say something.
    ....... I am new to learning Hung Gar. I was told something and that was about it . I can not say for certain which came first, not that it really matters.
    Last edited by tattooedmonk; 05-28-2009 at 10:01 AM.

He's not in our lineage chart to my knowledge.
    Hong Shi Guan = Hung Xi kwan??

Sorry guys I am still chasing that da#$ chicken. KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !

OK guys here you go....collegues
    NAME A.K.A. SPECIALTY
    Ie Chang Ming (Tie Chang Sang Ren) Herbs & Accupuncture ,Iron Bone/palm/shin, Staff, Sword (broad & Jian) Daggers Spear Monkey Drunken Immortals, Se Ch’uan (Snake) Tai Chi Pa Kua Hsing Ie Lu Hsing

Liu Su Peng (Sen Pien Sow) Tai Peng (bird System), Chain Whips Rope Dart

Je Jou (Shiao) Fu Long Fist , Huas, Mantis, Tiger

*#Su Te’ Tju Ta (Little Brother) Mien Ch’uan (Cotton Fist), Chi Qong Meditation ,Ban Lian Hua Kuen

Tju Ta 1988 Tai Chi festival in mainland China did Dbl Mulan Fan

**Qui Kwong (Liem Qui Qwong) Herbs & Accupuncture Chin na, Saio Chao
    **Tjie Tiong (Djie Tiong) Tai Chi Pa Kua Hsing Ie ,Ground Gragon
    Last edited by Baqualin; 05-28-2009 at 02:47 PM.

Thanks Baqualin I love this stuff. Wow KC

Did GM The' learn from all of these teachers?
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Well I tried to take a pic of me stretching for Go Ju but , I could only get the left front split and a straddle stretch or side stretch of 170 deg . Anywho the pics did not show well so I will try again. KC

Quote Originally Posted by Old Noob View Post
    To beat one of your old, tired drums, picking on someone's user name is something people do when they can't refute the substance of their comments. Isn't that your defense when people point out that, though you're in your twenties, you have the reading comprehension and spelling capabilities of my five-year-old? Scratch that. I'm insulting my five-year-old when I say that.

However, since you mentioned it, I chose the name because I had an extended period of time out of the martial arts and am, therefore, new to it again. Furthermore, I think one can study pretty much his entire life and still have much to learn. In that sense, I think most folks are noobs. Finally, I chose it because its humble and a bit self-deprecating. You wouldn't know anything about that.

As for being taken seriously, I have to disagree with you. While I am probably the most junior SD person on this board, I'm here to learn about my art. I know I don't have much to offer, by way of input on our art, to the guys who've been around it for longer than I have, so I offer them my respect. They seem to give it in return and take my questions as serious inquiry rather than mischevious provocations.

You're a child Goju. We're playing with you because we're bored. Your rants are no different than a thousand other hotheads who troll these boards acting like some kind of bad a$$. We've seen you before. We'll see you again. At the end of the day, when your body starts to go and you're an old man like we are, you'll have to look around and see what you have to fall back on. Unless you change things, that will be an illiterate, crotchety old ******* with nobody around who has any interest in taking care of you. Karma is a ***** like that.

Good luck kid.
    to tell you the truth i got about two sentences inot that and said as bullocks to this
    just give me the cliff notes

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Pen View Post
    Goju, I didn't say that I knew more about your art than anyone else. But I did ask some questions that someone who claims to have learned 1/2 of the material would know and you were pretty ignorant. I pointed out the irony in that since you came here to bash SD based, in large part, on historical inconsistencies. Your inability to describe fundamental concepts about your art (when you have not shown you can do so). That makes you a hypocrite. That's not a personal attack its an obervation on the way you have conducted yourself here.

Let me put it this way, this thread is full of people that are as criticial of SD as you are; however, they are not even coming to your aid here--doesn't that say something. Usually the enemy of my enemy is my friend, but no one is really even echoing what you are saying.

I have no problem with people being critical of my art. MK, MonkeySlap/Mas Judt and many others have helped me better understand their arguments because they are well thought out, articulate and logically consistent. They have been just as scathing (more so because of the effectivness of their logic). Your manner of arguing actually weakens your positions and you don't even realize it.
    i answered all the questions that were asked about the system unless ive blacked out here and posted there are none i havent responded too and like you said yourself you know little about goju ryu therefore what could you ask?

you lwere just trying to turn the topic around to take the heat off of the inabilty to explain your styles own bogus history and thought i was going to be the same way about mine
    however since goju ryu is a legit style the history and techniques are easy to explain and arent suspect to being made up

something i cant say for sd